Flea market finds

Just One More

I finally found a flea market here. Most everything was way over priced but I found a few minis. I got four white wire chairs for a dollar. I'll have to find a table now to go with them. The other is not marked or anything but I know it's older. It's a plastic salt and pepper shaker shaped like an old sewing machine cabinet. The plastic looks like wood. The salt and pepper drawers come out and you can pull up the sewing machine. It should stay up when the drawers are put back in but I had to tape it from underneath or it wouldn't stay up all the way. It has molded wheels and I painted them with my copper paint. It looks like something in the Renwal line of dollhouse furniture but it really is supposed to be a salt and pepper shaker. I got it for five dollars. I love finding old things better than getting new.

I'm still feeling horrible since the basement flooded. It looks so awful I don't even want to go down there. It will just have to stay that way because the upstairs needs lots of work that I'd do first if I could afford it. I don't think anyone would even buy this place now so I'm stuck here forever. Decatur's OK, but forever? I think that's why I like miniature houses. You have control and you can make them look just the way you want for much much less than a real house. I feel like I have no control in this situation. Other than winning the lottery, this is it. Bummer.

Yes Pat, the sewing machine s/p is older as I have one and I've had it for years. I use it in my miniature houses as well. I also have a plastic s/p tv that looks real that I use in my houses also. The little s/p shakers are on the top but the top is still flat because the shakers fit inside and there small and at the top end of the tv so I just put a little scarf on the top and you never see them. For people that collect s/p these are very collectable. My daughter had over 500 sets until I purchased them from her. LOL. Sounds like you had a fun day finding miniatures. :) Dottie

Yah know we had thee floods in our old hose and we sold our house in one day actually before it was listed for the asking price. We could have waited but we really wanted out. Just make your house look nice!! I,m sure you will do fine. :) It looks like you got some nice deals!

What a cool sewing machine! Will have to keep an eye out for s/p shakers! Will your insurance not pay for one of those disaster clean-up guys to clean up your basement for you? It's so frustrating to have to pay for insurance and get no help. My prayers are with you. Debra

What a cool sewing machine! Will have to keep an eye out for s/p shakers! Will your insurance not pay for one of those disaster clean-up guys to clean up your basement for you? It's so frustrating to have to pay for insurance and get no help. My prayers are with you. Debra

When our basement flooded many years back, we contacted the insurance company, but found we weren't covered unless we opted for the flood insurance. Since we weren't in a "flood plain" why pay the extra for the occasional occurance? But it is so frustrating when it does happen. I didn't have a basement growing up, and wanted to turn ours into an extra living area (rec room, bedroom, bathroom, laundry room), but after having all the storms we've been having, and too much water damage, it's going to be basically a storage area and tornado shelter like Pat is doing. My husband and I both are taking vacation soon to (originally) take time to spend time with his family on their vacation, but we will also have to take some of that time to thoroughly clean the basement. Not something we look forward to, but definitely need to take care of.

I know there are others much worse off, especially with all the flooding the midwest has endured, and I feel for everyone that has lost all that they have lost! But even going through it on a smaller level, so to speak, is so frustrating and exhausting! Everyone pays homeowners insurance, shouldn't we be covered for everything? Sadly, the only way the severe flooding victims are covered is if the government calls a state of emergency. And if your not in that area, you are left to your own devices.

Sorry, stepping off soap box now.

Pat, I give you a lot of credit, you and Michael did a lot of the work on your own. That is a major undertaking. Hang in there, it will hopefully get better soon!

We really did save a lot of money doing most of it ourselves. I would like to eventually be able to use at least part of the basement for mini stuff but right now I'm too tired to get into it. The overhead lighting is good down there so hope I can work on some of my houses one of these days. I thank everyone for their ideas and concern. It's nice to have the forum and always have someone to "talk" to. :)

Pat,

I know how you feel about having so many things that need to be done with your home but no money to do them.

A friend of ours gave us some simple advice that I felt stupid that I didnt think of it myself. Do not look at EVERYTHING. It will discourage you and you will never get anything done. Choose one thing at a time. Do not look at the basement as a whole but pick a certain thing you can shoot for to fix (and save money for).

Glad you got some mini goodies...they always seem to lift spirits around here.

((((((Big Hugs)))))))