light adaptors

fantail

Happy holiday weekend to all......quick question/s. I am about to put my first sconces and chandelies in. I'm very nervous. I did notice while flipping thru the hbs catalog they have the chandelier and sconce adaptors......sounds easier. Do any of you mini-ers use these? I'd love to hear opinions if possible.......as always .....thanks! annie

I just tried both for the first time. The instructions are pretty intimidating, especially for the sconce adapter, but I took it step by step and once I finally figured out where they were going with it, it all made sense.

The sconce adapter requires putting in eyelets and I didn't have a drill of the right size and tried fudging it until I finally just broke down, got out to the store and got the right drill bit. Once the eyelets were in it was pretty easy.

I think the ceiling adapter is really cool. I can't imagine how I would have wrapped that tiny wire around a brad on the ceiling, but doing it on a piece that's sitting in your hand is WAY easier. I like that I can just twist the hood on the ceiling a quarter turn and remove the fixture. Even if I don't plan on replacing the fixture it will be great for replacing the light bulb if need be.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to apologize it was early in the morning and What i meant is that I have heard so many bad things about them that i am nervous to try them apparently they are a tad unrealible and may have problems later on, at least from what i have heard here as well from a few local miniaturist. I meant no offense what so ever if i offended you i do apologize.

Those would be neat but i trust the people on here when they say they don't like them.

There are two kinds of ceiling adapters, the kind that push in on two pins, like the sconce adapters, and the kind that twist into place.

The pin kind works all right for the sconces, although I have one that has a tendancy to work loose over time and need a little jiggling to light up.

The pin kind that I put in the ceiling couldn't overcome the pull of gravity, was worse than useless. The twist-in ceiling adapter, though, works well, and is helpful when it comes to taking out the chandelier for cleaning, to move the house, or for replacing bulbs. If it's fairly easy to reach the light fixture, I'd lean toward wire-through-the-ceiling-hide-under-upstairs-flooring, whether I'm using tape or round wire.

Kathie, I think you solved the mystery of the differing opinions about these adapters. I was talking about the Cir-Kit adapters and wasn't aware that there was another kind. My Cir-Kit adapters haven't fallen out - either the sconce or the ceiling style - and I find the ceiling adapter hugely helpful to remove the fixture when I have to turn the house upside down or to replace a bulb. The sconce adapter is pretty big and I'm not thrilled with the fact that it leaves so much space between the fixture & the wall, but the one I have does stay in securely.

Corwin, I don't know about you but I've sure learned more about these adapters! Maybe we can now sort out all the varying opinions based on the type of adapter. (Goodness only knows what I might write early in the morning. Everything's cool. :rolleyes: )

I used the adapters for chandeliers in my first house and they worked great. just have to be sure you get enough of your wire around the pegs to make good connection. Would think it would be the same with the sconce ones. Hope this helped.