Do you paint before you wallpaper?

KellyFG

You might paint the walls to prime then, then wallpaper......... Priming means you seal the wood and the plain flat white acrylic paint not only seals the wood, but covers the natural wood color so it won't show through your wallpapers......a lesson I learned way back in the 80's......nothing worse than putting white or light colored wallpaper on your walls only to have some darkish streaks showing through - the natural streaks in thewoods......

What she said! :p Priming really does help make the wallpaper adhere better, too. You can use any inexpensive primer. Most times it comes in white. I like water-based paint (and stain) mainly because it's really easy to clean up, and the fumes aren't so obnoxious. You don't have to be "neat" with the primer -- just cover the wall with it, don't worry too much about streaks or "is it even", just paint it on, let it dry, and then you're set to paper the walls. The latex paint I use dries in about 2 hours.

i primed my rutherford with extra paint i used on the ceiling in my real kitchen, i primed the orchid and adams with spray paint and one of my shops i primed with spray matte sealer. just a quick sanding after priming and its ready to be papered. I like the spray paint better because it goes on fast, dries fast and its cheap. Can you tell i hate waiting? lol

One of the other reasons for priming under wallpaper is that wood contains acids and acids "burn" (oxidize) paper over time. If you have ever looked sorrowfully at antique dollhouses in museums and wondered why all the old wallpapers look faded, brown & brittle, that's why.