Tried a new? technique

post-2716-1215112375_thumb.jpg

This is a little corner shelf I just finished and I'm very excited that I found a technique I hadn't thought of before (although maybe you pros have :) )

See the pretty scalloped trim on the shelf edges? I cut it with scrapbooking scissors! It is 1/32 thick basswood and had to be cut across the grain to get a clean cut but I think it really works. It is fragile because of the short grain, but it would probably be less so if I were just cutting the end of a larger piece to decorate the bottom of a dresser, for instance. The short grain did make it flexible to a degree too...maybe it could curve around a mirror as a frame (and support it by gluing onto cardstock)? Hmmm... I know what I'm trying next!

Ooh, going shopping tomorrow, think I need some of those scissors, what a great idea!! :)

Even the dollar store has them! What a deal!

Just thought of an idea for stabilizing it... What if the wood were glued to (thin) paper first before cutting? It might keep those little grains lined up and make it more stable for staining/painting too.

That's a lovely little corner shelf! I have a need for those in a couple of my houses...I'll have to look for a pattern somewhere. Great idea for the scallopped scissors. I'll have to put those on my list for my next HobbyLobby visit!

great idea!! You could even use it on trim for a valance, window boxes, vanities the uses are endless. You have given us a whole decorating tool. Think of how many different cuts those sissors come in. I have four myself.

Thank you, Thank you!

I wanted to let you all know where I got the corner shelf idea. It was http://www.inpayne.com/dollhouse/dollhouse09b2.html

Love that room! Her houses are wonderful and full of great eye candy. I'm sure some of you may find something that inspires you too. Just scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Dollhouses" to see the rest of her many houses. She has room boxes too. Hours of fun! :)

Love your idea of using the scissors. I used one of the fancy "corner" punches to do some trim for one of my stores. I did several layers of cardstock and glued them in a stack. I knew that I was going to paint them so wasn't worried about them being wood. They will become the brackets next to the porch posts under the eves when I am done. I imagine you could use the same technique with the scissors if you knew that they were going to be painted and you couldn't tell that it wasn't wood when finished. Hmmmmmm......I have lots of those scissiors.

Love your idea of using the scissors. I used one of the fancy "corner" punches to do some trim for one of my stores. I did several layers of cardstock and glued them in a stack. I knew that I was going to paint them so wasn't worried about them being wood. They will become the brackets next to the porch posts under the eves when I am done. I imagine you could use the same technique with the scissors if you knew that they were going to be painted and you couldn't tell that it wasn't wood when finished. Hmmmmmm......I have lots of those scissiors.

OK, now I'm really excited! :)

I bet you could build up layers of "molding" on the face of hutches, door panels, etc the same way! And guess what? I just tried the same scissors on wood veneer tape (like I've used for my floors) and it worked even better than my 1/32 wood did and worked cutting along the length of the tape. I can make it as long as I need to. What possibilities; using paper or wood to add another layer to crown molding, sort of like the wonderful plaster work you often see in old homes.

I have "postage stamp" edged scissors... they could look like small dentil molding.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for that great idea, Caroline! I've got several of those scissors also and am going to try my hand at this. Thanks also for reminding me of the "inpayne" website - the perfect place to go when I need a little creative inspiration.

THAT is a fantastic idea!! might have to hit up grandma for some of her scrapbooking scissors. :p

that site is amazing isnt it? i love looking at her houses

Caroline, that's a brillinat idea & use for the scissors. I'm not sure what the minimum length of strip you could cut for bending into a curved mirror frame, but it needn't be a complete curve such as a circle or oval to be effective.

Shelf #2! This one is much better and the cut was cleaner and more stable because I cut wood veneer strip instead. That stuff is great!

Here are the pieces:

post-2716-1215476796_thumb.jpg

And here is the painted shelf:

post-2716-1215476822_thumb.jpg

My stove looks dusty because of all the sanding I've been doing! Time for some housekeeping :)