I've got 5 different houses that I'm working on. 1 from Greenleaf, 2 from Earth and Tree, and 2 from RGT. These are not quite finished and I ordered another house from Earth and Tree yesterday. Plus I have a list of about a dozen others that I want to build! Do you find yourself starting on another house before completing the others? This is really becoming an addiction for me? Well, I guess if I have to be addicted to something, it might as well be building dollhouses.

It's funny too! For years, I started one house and did not open a box to start another one until I was finished with the first house. Then 6 years ago I started having multiple projects going all of the time1 My poor husband could not understand what was going on and me, I never tried to figure out why all of a sudden I was doing this. I had heard of others doing this but I had never done this myself until 6 years ago :( . Right now, I have 8 unfinished house projects :)

I am so happy I have normal friends here because the rest of the world is just crazy ^_^

Some people watch more than one soap opera at the same time, why would it be different with miniatures? We can work in different dollhouses at the same time :)

I'm currently working in 5 dollhouses.

This is normal...lol...

I have 3 unfinished in the basement, 1 in the kitchen, 1 in my spare bedroom, 9 or 10 in the family room. All in various forms of completion.

Mainly because of space considerations I can only work on one major project at a time -- and right now it's my Brookwood. But that doesn't mean I don't do smaller stuff...like fashioning an outside staircase for my Brimble, and plotting out an attic door for my Washington, and making books (for whichever..I just love to make books.. :( ), and working on a swinging door for my Garfield tower, and...

so yeah, it's normal! Or we're all crazy. I vote "normal". :)

I've always FORCED myself to work on one at a time...otherwise, I'd have multiple houses going. 

The Mary Kay is still in progress...minor things now...but I am not going to start anything else until that one is done! Of course, once it's done, there are display considerations. Where to put it. It's extremely large. I think I'm going to have my husband build a small base for it and display in the livingroom.

I am dying to get myself a little Fairfield. Since it's small, I may do it...but I have to have the other one done and moved to a permanent spot. 

Please make the Fairfield in 1/12" scale!!!!!!

I think it's perfectly normal... :)

I started almost a year ago with a Greenleaf Harrison, now I have 13 houses and they are ALL in various stages of being built/decorated.

Hubby tells me I'm crazy, but I just tell him "you married me, so what does that make you?"

lol

I have four different houses right now, not one is complete. It's fun to go back and forth working on them! It's part of my "therapy", Ha Ha Ha!!!! :)

Whew !! What a relief to find out I'm "normal" ... at least in this virtual world of friends ...

Hate to admit how many or how much in total are scattered all over my studio, sewing room, upstairs hall and in boxes ... :)

And, I'm supposed to altering a bridesmaid dress right now - hm-m-m let's see, does checking the forum count for that in any way? Probably not ... guess I'd better run along since the person is coming for the next fitting this evening.

Yikes ... no dh's today. :(

Yup, it is quite normal to have more then one project going at once and also normal to have several houses in different stages of undress.

I have ummm 4 houses (5 if you count the Pomeroy) that are in different stages. I am ALMOST done with the MHM.

I think I have been procrastinating with finishing her because I do not want to finish her..if you can understand that. If she is finished...then what. LOL I know sounds weird but that is our hobby.

You get stumped on what to do next, you fall out of love for a house for awhile, you have to wait to get a certain thing to work on it...those are reasons many of us have many houses in cue.

At the moment, I have 5 houses all in various stages of completion ranging from not even built but the floor stained to completely built but needing wallpaper/paint/trim work added.

I find having a number of houses under construction allows me to work on whatever house calls my attention most. More efficiently, however, it allows me to continue working if I hit a roadblock with one house (i.e., paint drying, waiting for materials to arrive, etc). Also, having so many houses under construction lets me work on DH's even if I only have an hour or so since there's almost always one house where the next step is a quick one.

Guest Nathaniel

Ive got 5 projects in the works right now (Tennyson, Newberg, Worthington, and 2 Colonials). I have finished 1 house (my Spring Fling Ranch house), and I have 4 houses still in their boxes (Garfield, Pierce, and 2 Street of Shops kits).

I love having multiple going on at once. WHile one has glue or paint drying, I go to the next. If I get sick of building one, than I go build or decorate or play with another one. If i get stuck on a certain step with one, I go to another one, etc etc. It makes the hobby more fun in my opinion if you have multiple projects going on at once.

-Nathaniel :)

• Like 1

I have 9 dollhouses- NONE of which are "finished". . .are they ever really finished????? I always think of things to add to each of them. . .

some of mine have different themes and concepts- Christmas, haunted house, etc so it just depends what I feel like working on at the moment

How do you guys keep the different pieces from the different houses from getting mixed up? I have been afraid of opening more than one box because I already have pieces of the Pierce all over the place and that house is half built already! Do you mark them in a special way... ?

I don't let one house trespass on another house. Of coarse if they are going to be bashed together that's a different story! Keep them in their own territory and they won't get mixed up.

Are we normal (dull, uninteresting and mundane)!!!! Heck no! We are slightly off center (smart inventive, unusual and challenging). Wouldn't have it any other way. :):( :monkeydance:

I'm so relieved--I knew others did this but now I have total validation that I am NOT NUTSO!

My husband firmly believes one should plan, execute, and complete a project before moving on to the next one and he sounds like a broken record: "Why don't you not take on another project until you finish this one...or that one..."

Impossible!!

Here's my list of ongoing and unfinished projects:

decorating the San Franciscan

constructing & decorating 2 cottages for my nieces xmas projects

Planning my Martha's Vineyard Cottage

shadow box paper sculpture of Wynken Blynken & Nod for my sister

making silhouettes of my girlfriend's three little girls

Scrapbooking our wedding and honeymoon

daily blogging (or not so daily...)

making mini furniture and other items

Planning to paint our real life extremely ugly bathrooms (I really hate an ugly bathroom)

Organizing my art supply area--yeah right

Trying to throw away stuff but having a really hard time...I might need it someday

If we had the room, and I had the ok from the man, I would have 50 houses ongoing. There's always another one that you need!!

Just wait until you have been doing minis for almost 30 years! It gets worse!!!! My list of projects goes back a long ways and is about 4 pages long, single spaced. And yes, I consider myself a "normal miniaturist". Please note that I did not say "normal person". :)

When I first started this hobby (now addiction) in September, I only planned on doing just the one house, for about a minute. Then my wishlist grew, so I ordered some kits, but was only going to do one at a time. I found that I get bored too easily, so I try to have more than one project going at the same time. That way when one house stops talking to me, another one usually wants something, so I usually have something mini to do. It's great therapy for me. I just need more room!

I'm working on the SF (the windows are driving me nuts!!), but I've still got other smaller projects on the go too! It would be another house or three if I had the work space!! It all seems pretty normal to me! :)

I tend to work on one BIG project at a time but do little ones to break up the focus on the big one - working on georgian for 15 months but started the caribbean plantation about 3 months ago since the georgian was done but the little details. But have done some little rehabs and smaller things in the same period. I dont think i would work on two BIG projects at the same time, but who knows!

I know a lot of people on this site have more than one house going at a time so its perfectly normal for us miniature addicts. I myself can not work on two things at the same time. I just dont have the brain power for it I guess...lol I devote so much concentration and time to one house that having to do it for two houses at a time would make my head explode.

Another thing is space. Im working out of the computer room and the dining room at times so all the space if pretty much taken up with one project. The second one would have to be nailed to the ceiling.

Hahahaha.....that's me all over. I've always thought I was ADD or something.

There's even a group on Yahoo called Never finished minis (or something like that) - I'm a member.