Taking inventory

Just One More

I've been trying to sort out all my minis since I don't have as much room now since the basement problems. It's fun to find things I forgot I even had but I'm really amazed at how much is here. I keep all the little things in separate plastic boxes with compartments like you can get at Hobby Lobby. I have at least three boxes of just kitchen stuff, dishes, pots and pans, food items, anything that goes in a kitchen. These boxes are brim full. Then there are all the little things for each room that take up a lot more boxes. I have boxes full of little pictures to eventually frame, mirrors, bathroom accessories and all kinds of door knobs, brass fittings, yard tools etc. This is just the tiny things. I have enough furniture for at least three more houses. I even found a really nice fly swatter and a flour sifter I got ages ago and some mini light bulbs in a GE package. Some of this stuff is from way back. Even with all this I've ordered from Ernie three times this week. I guess I'm a true miniholic but I love it all.

I am too. I've been trying to organize so I know everything I have. I recently started storing components separate from finished items.. I have a lot of things I have kept because sometime I will make something out of them.

I've been trying to organize all my things, too. I still need to organize my accessories, which will take some time. I have a lot of stuff, but I also have a lot of kits to fill :banana: . I have some duplicates of books, and some other items I might be listing soon on here.

Pat, I bet you are having so much fun going through all your things!

oh,golly! i'm trying to fit much of my own collection of twenty years into the houses, shop & roomboxes i am keeping-- twenty-two rooms in all, i've counted. the things you find! the projects you'd put by and never begun! all the gifts and mementos you're trying to find room for.

as in life, there's always a little pleasure and pain combined.

as for storage-- for the little mini items (not furniture) i always used those plastic

craft boxes that snapped shut, and had a dozen or more tiny compartments.

I use copy paper boxes to organize my furnture and things. Each one has a label on the outside, i.e., kitchen, living room, etc., etc. I also have a couple of boxes marked accessories, one marked software, and one marked hardware. The software box has individual boxes in it, table lines, rugs, etc., hence "software." The hardware box has individual boxes marked kitchen, living room, etc., etc. I try my best to keep these boxes neat and tidy, and they stack beautifully........but when I'm looking for something in particular, wow.......

I'mthinking of making a computer generated list of each box and taping it to the outside as well.......

I'mthinking of making a computer generated list of each box and taping it to the outside as well.......

That's what I'm trying to do with all my stuff, even the things I already have in houses. I have a big rubbermaid container that holds all my furniture and the little things are in a box that I also put in there. I have some things that are just sitting because I never got around to putting them in the box. The main reason I want to make a list, even the things in the houses, is because I don't know what I have and there may be something in a house that would look better in another one.

Pat that sounds like so much fun! I love sorting through minis. You can find so many things that youve forgotten about through the years. Its like shopping for minis all over again but in your own house...lol

It is fun. I don't even remember where I got some of these things. I think I got the flyswatter at the miniature show in Chicago. The flour sifter also. There was a table there where you could get all these unusual things you never find in stores and didn't cost that much. I have pages of printies to put together, kleenex boxes, hat boxes, etc. One of my favorites is the Shiny Brite Christmas ornament boxes. They even have little dividers and I put colored beads in them. They are just like in the 1940's. I'll be at this all week.

Guest Nathaniel

Where can you get those neat little plastic containers with all of the compartments - for cheap? I need some of those for all of my tiny accessories, I have boxes full of kitchen items, dining sets, and other accessories for every room a doll house can possibly have. I really need to do some organizing myself!

-Nathaniel :)

I use the Plano brand flat plastic boxes that they sell in the fishing dept at Wal Mart. They are the best. They come in several different sizes and the biggest one is under 5.oo. The reason that I like them better than the craft boxes is they have dividers that can be moved or taken out all together to make different sizes of compartments. And they are stackable! They have little lines on the bottom and top so that they don't slide around when stacked on a shelf. I must have 25 or 30 of the large ones filled. Each one has a label on the outside so that I can see at a glance what is in each one. I got rid of the craft boxes when I found these. I was always finding something that just didn't quite fit in the little compartments in those. I don't have that problem any more.

Pat, i love the idea of little lightbulbs in their GE package. Do you remember where you found those?

Good luck on your sorting!

Where can you get those neat little plastic containers with all of the compartments - for cheap? I need some of those for all of my tiny accessories, I have boxes full of kitchen items, dining sets, and other accessories for every room a doll house can possibly have. I really need to do some organizing myself!

-Nathaniel :)

Nathaniel my favorite organizer (cheap!) are those hardware storage drawer units. Target, walmart, and any hardware place has them. You can pull the whole drawer out to move it to your work area, then slide it in again when you're done. They come in many drawer sizes, are stackable, and I get them for about $6 each. Here's one being used for scrapbooking:

storage.jpg

I use the Plano brand flat plastic boxes that they sell in the fishing dept at Wal Mart. They are the best. They come in several different sizes and the biggest one is under 5.oo. The reason that I like them better than the craft boxes is they have dividers that can be moved or taken out all together to make different sizes of compartments. And they are stackable! They have little lines on the bottom and top so that they don't slide around when stacked on a shelf. I must have 25 or 30 of the large ones filled. Each one has a label on the outside so that I can see at a glance what is in each one. I got rid of the craft boxes when I found these. I was always finding something that just didn't quite fit in the little compartments in those. I don't have that problem any more.

Pat, i love the idea of little lightbulbs in their GE package. Do you remember where you found those?

Good luck on your sorting!

I'll have to look into that because I'd like to get a few more. I'll let everyone know if I ind them again.

Guest Nathaniel

I went to wal-mart last night and bought a big stack of the white plastic drawers-like 5 drawers, for furniture and big stuff which only cost 18 bux, and then a small stack of the plastic drawers, for medium sized stuff -5 drawers for 7 bux, and then a stackable set of the plastic containers with all of the compartments for mini accessories, and you can move and adjust the size of the compartments as much as you want. there are like 4 or 5 stackable plastic containers - good sized ones too, and that only cost me 16 bux I think.

Now I will be able to be COMPLETELY organized!

Thanks for the ideas!

Nathaniel

I use clear shoe boxes that can be bought at any of the dollar stores for.......just a dollar......

Elicia

a-glueing and a-grinning in South Carolina