Building the Madison

LPCullen

Looks great - it also looks like it would fit as a great little ski shack. :D

What a difference puting the siding on like you did made.

Look forward to following your creation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Deborah! I'm trying to create it as an old shack that's set in the mountains, but not a ski shack. I'm glad you like the siding/planking!

BTW, what does Namaste mean?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow!

I am inspired!

I think Ill get the Addams down off the shelf and do something with it.\

it already houses swaps from a log cabin swap I was in and looks like a fishin shack on the inside.  hmmmmmm how could I fix the stuccoed look of the inside if I plank the outside? would it look weird?

ohhhh the woes of nutti's world of indiscions in decorating!

you are doing a great job!

is this going to be a gift?

nutti :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Nutti! Planking the outside was pretty easy--and get this--I cut the planks to fit myself! Jimmy DID NOT do it for me and he has not touched this house. I might let him cut my roofing material--but probably not. I really want to do this one all by myself.

Go get the Adams! Play with it! Got pix of the stuccoed interior? I'm still thinking out the interior ...

No, no gift. This is mine.

BTW, I really appreciate all of your responses and encouragement! This is the one that is supposed to be totally done by me.

OOPS! Wait a minute. Jimmy cut my blocks for me to paperclay for the brick pillars. Does that mean he helped?

I love going to thrift stores! I can't help it! I find some of the neatest stuff there, and those bottles were one of those things ... they are currently (except for the one that I am using as a "spacer") sitting on the dry sink in the kitchen awaiting my mantle to be put back together so that I can stain it, etc.

LOL! I bought an auction lot of 30 of those little bottles in different colors and sizes. There's no real use for them, but I had to have 'em. After all, they're little! I couldn't resist. :D

The house is looking great Linda! I can already see the weeds growing up around the foundation and a rain barrel at the corner. It's a wonderful house!

Deb

Forgot to tell you, I think Jimmy's a bit perturbed. On Sunday he decides to start cutting up the tin for me to make my roof with, and he showed me how "he" was going to do the tin. I told him it's quite obvious that you haven't been looking at tin roofs, because that's not how they do it.

Thanks Deborah! I'm trying to create it as an old shack that's set in the mountains, but not a ski shack. I'm glad you like the siding/planking!

BTW, what does Namaste mean?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry - quess I was thinking outloud for myself - like adding another dollhouse build to my collection :blink:

And Namaste means "the devine in me bows to the devine in you"

The house is looking great Linda! I can already see the weeds growing up around the foundation and a rain barrel at the corner. It's a wonderful house!

Let's don't forget also alot of these "shacks" didn't have running water so what my Mama use to call a No.2 tin wash tub was also hung on an outside wall. (For those Saturday night baths) LOL

The house I grew up in had vertical plank siding and a tin roof, no closets--we used chiffrobes (sp?) and the bathroom was actually put in what was once a pantry. So I'm watching this house closely cause it reminds me of home LOL

Peggi

PS We did have running water but I do remember Mama washing clothes in the old tin tubs.

Linda -

I've looked at the new pictures that you put in the Gallery. Wow, I can't believe how your house is coming together. I'm particularly fascinated by how you've aged the house. How did you age the kitchen floor (scrapbook paper)?

Are you going to wire this house at all .. even for a candle or gas lamp effect?

Susanne

Thanks Susanne! No, no wiring on the house, I don't think. No lights. To age the kitchen floor, I simply had drops of several different shades of gray and a few drops of dark burnt umber in some water in a cup to make a color wash and painted it on there. Same for the wooden floor for the living room.

Peggi, those are great ideas! You know, I'm not doing a bathroom in this house. I do have an outhouse that I bought somewhere. It's all pretty. Gonna have to rough/ugly it up, LOL!

Linda is it a one or two seater? and don't forget the sears roebuck catalog! LOL

Another thing I remember about our house, there was a hole bored in the floor so when you scrubbed the floor, it had a place for the water to drain. I can remember Mama hooking the water hose up to the kitchen faucet soaking the floor, sprinkling Tide and then scrubbing the floor with the broom always sweeping the water toward the hole then just rinsing with the water hose--worked for cleaning the wooden walls too. Hauling the furniture in and out of the room was mandatory during spring cleaning so the walls could be cleaned Primitative but very efficient, and it helped get rid of all the soot that had built up during the winter using a wood or coal stove.

Later, when she had linoleum put down she changed to using a mop and the holes of course were plugged and covered over.

Peggi

Peggi

Linda, it's looking absolutely fantastic! The gritty realism of this house makes it unique, thought provoking, and very, very, very appealing. All of your houses are wonderful, but this one is truly going into artisan territory. Like Peggi, I've spent a lot of time in a house like this one and seeing yours brings back a lot of memories. If your work can stimulate those memories and emotions in others, you've captured the essence of the house wonderfully well.

Deb

Your Madison got me to thinking so much about my grandparent's house where my dad grew up that I had to get out the family history and look at it. I don't have a good picture of it, but I do have a sketch that my cousin made of the house for the inside cover of the book. The house was built in 1882 in the hills above Ozark, MO. It's not there anymore tho. About 15 years ago, a man came thru looking for old houses like this one and bought it from my aunts. He was building a resort in Branson made of restored cabins from the area. He moved it to Branson and as far as I know, that's where it's at now. I just thought you might want to see what it looks like and why your Madison is so stirring.

Deb

If your work can stimulate those memories and emotions in others, you've captured the essence of the house wonderfully well

Can you receive a higher compliment than that? I don't think so. See Linda even without Jimmy's help you are a true artisan.

Peggi

Deb, thanks for the wonderful picture! And thanks for your wonderful comments. I could not have received any higher compliments than I have received from you and Peggi!

Also, your comments got me to thinking. And the more I looked at that house (exterior, not interior), the more I started feeling like I was building a memory that was stuck in my head. Emailed pix to my mother so she could tell me what the world I was building, but she can't remember how to check her email (gotta go to Hickory soon and spend some time with her and print her some instructions for when she forgets). So, called my middle sister and had her come over. She looked at it and laughed. The exterior is almost identical to my maternal grandmother's house ....

Then we acted like children, like we used to do when we were little, and pulled out some of my fancy dress up gowns, and started playing dress up, LOL!

Then we acted like children, like we used to do when we were little, and pulled out some of my fancy dress up gowns, and started playing dress up, LOL!

Way to go--the name of the game is to have fun. Ain't it nice to share and provoke memories.

Speaking of which, have you thought of setting up a quilting frame inside, the ladies of the neighborhood could be holding a quilting bee in order to keep warm in the winter.

Peggi

Chrysnbon makes a wonderful potbelly "parlor" stove kit and the ice box kit comes with a "wooden" butter churn, but I bet you could paint one of those wooden candle cups to look like pottery and make a top & dasher for it.

I also like the way their bathroom kit turned out, reminds me of my grandparents' home.

Also, your comments got me to thinking. And the more I looked at that house (exterior, not interior), the more I started feeling like I was building a memory that was stuck in my head.

Now that's what I call building from the heart! Keep the progress pictures coming. It's wonderful watching it come together.

Deb

Speaking of which, have you thought of setting up a quilting frame inside, the ladies of the neighborhood could be holding a quilting bee in order to keep warm in the winter.

<nodding in agreement> Oh, and don't forget the brown jug on the floor behind the door. At least that where my Granddad kept his. ;)

Deb