Voluntary Survey: What does everyone do for a living???

Guest Nathaniel

I'm a contract killer. It's the Miss Marple approach... you look totally innocent while talking to someone about dollhouses, then Wham! Right in the heart with an X-acto knife. :(

Actually, I'm currently unemployed, but I just finished my first year as a middle school math teacher. I'm not sure if I'll do that again next year or not. It was so overwhelming. I'm hoping to find something part-time, like maybe adjunct teaching at a community college.

In my former life I was a biostatistician. That is, someone who does statistical design and analysis for clinical trials. Then I was a SAHM for five years, and now teaching. I think! :unsure:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christine, you have earned a special place in heaven for teaching middle school. I did that for 20 years and am an adjunct now at a local community college. It is so different. You can turn your back and write on the board without worrying about what is happening behind you. One evening I was in the restroom and the thought suddenly flashed "Oh, I better hurry, the bell is going to ring!" Then it occurred to me. "No it's not! Yay" :unsure:

i had a million jobs from baby sitting, to burger gal (cook, lol) at Burger King, To managing a few different stores including a stint at Pretzel Time where i made the best pretzels and helped people sneak food into the movie theater!

i was working 3 jobs...personal shopper for Stop & Shop's Peapod service, hostess/customer service at Boris Karloffs Witch Mansion here in Salem, and asst mgr at Spencers Gifts- when i got hurt in a car accident. i was stopped and an idiot hit me head on so thanks to him and because of the injury i couldn't do any of them anymore so i went back to school. now i work at Salem Hospital registering people that come in for tests or sometimes i'm in the emergency room trying to get sick/scared/angry/and sometimes drunk and stupid folk that come in to throw up to talk to me! fun! fun! fun!

my best job ever was a set painter :( for a company that made "haunted houses" that were shipped all over the country. try being the only gal i a big dark warehouse full of trap doors, animatronic ghouls, and guys that think it would be fun to hear the girl scream!

they only got me once, lol! from then on it was my mission to hear them scream and yes i had no mercy and got them all more than once! lol!

:unsure:

I am currently a substiture teacher for our middle school and high school. I am a certified teacher who chooses not to work full time, I enjoy the luxury of being able to say "no" to work. I have been a full time teacher high school and middle school lvls; Retail store manager; Assistant Hotel Manager; and Hotel Department Managers, having done all of the job stops on my way up those ladders.

RN on a cardiac stepdown unit....

Pretty happy with my job now, but I've been a cashier, deli clerk, and worked with developmentally disabled clients in a group home setting...that was challenging, but I liked it!

Wow, all the different careers and stuff here. My hats off to the teachers for being able to handle the kids, no way I could do that. My hat's also off to the nurses/cnas and the dr's office manager, my mom was a nurse for 30 years and I know how tough that job can be too.

Me, right now I work part-time, weekends only, at Wal-Mart as a cashier, just started a month ago. Nathaniel, we have something in common, other than minis. But my main "job" is taking care of my kids and I have been doing that for almost 4 years. I have 4 kids, so that's a big job.

Before that I worked as a cashier at a convience store, also did restaurant work, everything from cook, clean, wait tables, cashier, worked as a parking attendant, the person who sits in the little booth, worked at an amusement park, and was a secretary/ customer service rep for a company that makes the machines that stuff envelopes and sorts where the mail goes at the post office.

I'm not anywhere near retirement...only 36 and I plan on going back to school and becoming an accountant.

Terri

Wow everyone has done so much!

I'm only just begining, i finished 6th form a month ago (and got all the exams out the way a couple of weeks ago!) I am going to university after the summer to do teacher training, well thats the plan just have to pass all the exams! atm i have a saturday job waitressing and i babysit for 3 kids (who luckily all go to bed nice and early!) i volunteer in a local primary school with a year one class on a wednesday afternoon and am a young leader for rainbows (5-7 yr old girl guides). apart from that i spend my time travelling back and forth to London to see my dad and little siblings (more babysitting!)

Well, I went a different route, I set out to have fun in life and fortunately I can say I did. I just retired from being a stage technician for 19 years for a 50's 60's band as well as a whitewater river guide for 4 seasons during the week. Also took a 5 yr break from the stage tech position to work in(very loosely used term) promotions and ttraveled the NASCAR and bike rally circuit. Now I am a SAHF of an incredible 3 yr old lil girl, 30+ South Africian Cichlids, a dwarf hamster, Lionhead rabbit, and of course my very furry "3rd son". People keep calling him a dog, but he doesn't mind, he knows they are just confused.......

Laba diena (good day), Nathaniel and Cindy, you too Gina.

I'm Lithuanian, first generation.

Full time stay at home Mom here. My oldest is 27 and my youngest is 10. LOL

I forgot who said that, but I beat you. My oldest is 33, the youngest is 14.

I've been a professional mother since 1975. before that I was in charge of computer operations for a major surgical group at the U of PA hospital. I turned down a job at a large Philadelphia law firm and could have been one of the first paralegals in the country. Boy, was that a dumb move, but I was young and in love and planning to move away.

I worked as a cashier and cash office accountant at a Zayre's from the time I was 18 until I was 27. Left to get married. SAHM from 1986 to present day. Substitute aide and teacher in daughter's school district from '91 to present. I co-host and do accounting for an annual PTO Holiday Craft and Antique Show in our school district. I also belong to an all volunteer Musical Theatre Company called "LYRIC". I make costumes for our productions. I also do accounting for a friends MARY KAY business.

lyn

degree in anthropology and archeology (major was in disease and osteology of ancient populations). I worked for many years for veterinarian as my hubby worked on a degree in marine science. I've worked as a librarian now for 23 years (most as the Bookmobile manager). Will die in my 'book boots' someday.

Full time stay at home mom for three kids ages 4 almost 3 and almost 2. My youngest actually turns two this Friday. before the kids though i wouked as a telemarketer, a collections agent, and at Tim Hortons Coffee Shop. I also was a waitress, and a McDonalds worker(for 6 whole hours) I worked at Walmart briefly as a cashier but I missed my kids too much and I did not believe that the sitter was taking as good a care of my kids that I could so I left Walmart and became a stay at ome mom and I love every minute of it. Of course this forum is my adult conversation during the day when my DH is at work.

"What are 30+ South Africian Cichlids?"

Since John isn't answering, I'll chime in. African Cichlids are a breed of aquarium fish. They are rather agressive, so you can't have them in with say guppies, but they can be really pretty. They come in all kinds of colors. The blue ones are my favorite.