Avatar, avatar, what do you see?

Cuppa-Tea

Okay, this is really wierd. I deleted all the files in the "cookies" folder on my computer, rebooted, and then I deleted everything in my "temporary Internet files" folder as well. Then I came here, and because I delete the cookies, it treated me as a Guest.

I STILL see the lightkeepers house. Doo-doo doo-doo, doo-doo doo-doo. (Twilight Zone)

At Tracy's suggestion I always delete cookies before trying to post pictures and I always have to log back in first. As I mentioned on the other topic, I now see a teapot. As I also mentioned, whatever I post here for an avatar seems to show up also on other IPB boards (like DHM), even though I don't change it there.

Okay, I did load a sunflower teapot picture. But I don't see it. I still see the house. I even deleted the lightkeeper's house pic from my photos on my PC, and I still see it! Something somewhere on my machine is still pointing to that picture when viewing this site. I tried changing my avatar on another website, and had no problem. So I'm not sure what is going on!

Edited to add: I found a "turbo cache" in the settings for my ISP, and clicked "Empty Cache" and rebooted my PC and the problem still hasn't gone away. I still see that darn little red house! Oh well.

I see the teapot :lol: .

I had a similar thing happen to me a while ago and everyone thought I was hallucinating. I ended up logging completely off of the internet and rebooting my computer. That fixed the problem for me which was a good thing because Linda and Tracy were about to send those men in the white coats.

Hi Christine, I am also seeing the teapot. But were you aware that there is a place on the first page of this program that says "Delete cookies set by this board", you might want to try clicking on that. Hope that helps.

Wendy

Hi Christine! Try pushing down your control key (Ctrl) and the F5 key at the same time. That will force the page to refresh.

I noticed that some of you have mentioned that your picture looks distorted. This might be happening when the forum software scales your image to the appropriate size for the Avatar. The maximum size for Avatars is 100 x 100 pixels. If you are having problems with distortion, I would recommend that you edit your image not to exceed these dimensions prior to uploading them. This post has a step by step for changing you Avatars.

I'm sorry that the forum is acting goofy. I will continue to work on the problem.

Thanks for your understanding!

Dean

Nope, neither the "delete cookies" nor the "Ctrl-F5" worked. I think there must be some setting somewhere in Windows XP that is doing this.

When I go into "My Controls" and then load a new avatar, I select the photo that I want and then it loads (I see the little green bars on the bottom of the window while it's loading). Then the page refreshes and lo! the old picture is there instead of the pic I wanted.

I did try selecting an avatar from the base gallery, and that seemed to work just fine.

But, it's not worth wasting as much time as I have today, and I don't want you to think I'm really upset about it, Dean, because I'm not. It's just an avatar, after all! I'm just puzzled.

I'll put the Sugarplum photo back for the rest of you to look at, so that at least my avatar is a Greenleaf house! The teapot was a new photo I took this afternoon, that I just wanted to use for a test.

• 2 weeks later...