Miniature Doll Clothing

Missymew

I'm working on a nativity scene (1:12 scale) and would like to make costumes for my Mary, Joseph and a shepherd (or 2). I'm going to use Heidi Ott adult male and female dolls for Joseph and Mary as they're very poseable. I'll probably use a Heidi Ott boy or teen doll for a shepherd.

Does anyone have any clothing patterns? Or, have you seen any in one of the dollhouse miniature magazines. Little by little I'll go through my magazine stash, but I don't recall ever seeing any patterns. I don't imagine these would be too difficult to make as none of the clothing articles would be snug fitting.

-Susanne

Susanne, if you ever subscribed to DHMS and Projects, check them for patterns. One of the issues of Projects was devoted to weddings and has patterns for the priest's and acolyte's vestments that could possibly be modified into clothing for creche figures.

I've not yet come across any patterns in any of my mini mags. I just might try what Corwin suggested. Then again, I might see if I can make up a pattern myself. After all, churches have been making these costumes for Christmas pageants for years. Most of them use use bed sheets.

-Susanne

Do they not just wear things that sorta look like a round table cloth with a hole for the head cut into it? Surely it should be easy enough to make your own simple design, just starting with a round piece of material. Cut out the head hole, slit it up the back just enough so it fits,you can close that later with a tiny peice of velcro, then sew sleeves from the same piece by folding it over, cutting out a triangle on each side, and sewing the cut cloth to itself,. Now you have a one peice dress that looks like the smocks the nativity people wear. Hope I expained this so you can picture it. Top it off with the head veil, and you're in business!

Suzanne -

That's along the lines that I'm thinking of making my costumes - starting with a circle piece. As I'll keep the dolls dressed in the costumes I can actually sew the slit by the head hole to keep the seam nice and flat.

I sure appreciate the input from you guys, it's so helpful to come to a forum where we can pick each others' brains (so to speak).

I've already chosen my Heidi Ott lady (Mary). I tried to re-wig one of my Heidi Ott dolls, and got some glue on her forehead curl. She'll be perfect wearing a head veil. I'll pick a Heidi Ott man thats got a beard.

Hugs

-Susanne