San Fran windows

kellee

Ok, I have been tearing apart the San Fran today... trying to get ideas for it.! I just noticed it has NO Windows!!! DOes anyone here have any ideas. I cannot afford to buy the houseworks windows or any windows right now. Do you have any ideas as how to make windows or does someone maybe have the windows that they are not or did not use for thiers ? I have no clue what to do about the windows.! I would LOVE to have them working but it is not necessary.!

Kellee

That's a tough one because the windows are pretty unique to this house. Are the frames there but just not the actual plastic for the panes? The frames fit into the moldings and together they make the lovely bay windows that are the signature of this house. I say lovely a bit sarcastically because mine are driving me crazy. . .

I have nothing.. no frames and no window glass. ! I am so bummed out on this house, I knew it was a rehabb I just completely forgot about the windows.

Would using skinny sticks to make the frames work? I would love for them to open & close but I am sure that is out of the Question now.

I have half the house torn apart ! the carpet was glued down and it has a rubber backing. so making this a very messy job.

Wish me luck.

Kellee

I have nothing.. no frames and no window glass. ! I am so bummed out on this house, I knew it was a rehabb I just completely forgot about the windows.

Would using skinny sticks to make the frames work? I would love for them to open & close but I am sure that is out of the Question now.

I have half the house torn apart ! the carpet was glued down and it has a rubber backing. so making this a very messy job.

Wish me luck.

Kellee

I think you could make frames out of skinny sticks, but I don't think you could make them open and close that way. Casey just did a tutorial on making window frames out of mat board on her blog (www.caseymin.blogspot.com ). Maybe that would be an option. That's a bummer, Kellee, that the windows are missing. I wonder if any of the premade windows would fit the house. Can you measure each of the openings and see if there are windows you could make fit? The molding that goes around the windows has groves in it so you'd have to find a way to attach other windows in there. Just glueing ones that fit and using a little spackle and wood fill might do the trick.

I have the schematics for the 557- would that help at all? I could PM them to you tomorrow. My scanner is not working at home, but I could scan them at work tomorrow for you.

I think the ones on ebay are too small. I did a quick measure on my San Fran and the windows are 5 3/8 tall (or so). Unless you have a different model and they are another size.

The windows I was looking at were 5 by 2 1/2. but there are others of varying sizes including double windows.

It seems you maybe could use extra wood peices to make them fit.

I meant 5 and 6/8ths. No wonder I never cut anything right. I can't measure! But yes, rather than making 15 windows from skinny sticks I think I would make the premade ones work with wood fill, pieces of wood, or whatever it takes! Nice find, Pat!

I don't know about the SF330, but I used the milled wood in the SF555 to make all my (working) windows for the SF555. Tedious? You betcha! Impossible? Not a bit. You can make the whole kaboodle with 1/16" basswood boards, a steel ruler, a utility knife, wood glue and LOTS of clamps. You will want to cut your pieces for the interior & exterior frames so they'll lap onto the walls, and between them you'll basically make a sandwich with two grooves to let the sashes work. Your sashes will be two sets of frames for each pair of panes for each window having the same inner dimensions; the outer dimensions will fit the grooves and your windows can open & close (obviously the middle of your windowframe "sandwich" will be two pieces/ 1/8" thick). If you want pretty milled frames, use something like baseboards for your frames.

Your frame will look approximately like this on end (except the first & last pieces will be even with the middle and the excess will stick out below the middle four piece to make the lap onto the walls): llllll

Come ON, y'all, this isn't rocket science!

I don't know about the SF330

What's an SF330?

It may not be rocket science to you who has years of practice, Ms Holly, but I don't have that kind of patience. I'd go for the premade ones here. :giggle: Just personal preference.

I don't have a lot of patience, either, but I have even less budget!lol If you can find premade windows that come close, you can always use strips of cardboard, etc, to get them to fit. Hoqwcwe you do it, it's definitely more fun to have windows that can open & close.

I don't have a lot of patience, either, but I have even less budget!

I'm with you on this one Holly. It would cost almost nothing to try, and possibly pay off big, it seems worth the risk of an attempt.

It is also a constant amazement to me when I attempt to make something myself and it turns out!

Me too! It's like, wow- look at this!

I have a limited budget too so I might be willing to give this a try, but like I said I get frustrated too.

As I said in a earlier post I cannot afford to buy the windows.! My budget is very tight..!

I appreciate the ideas on making my own and will be doing that as i just cannot afford to buy any.!

Thank You all

Kellee

What's an SF330?

It may not be rocket science to you who has years of practice, Ms Holly, but I don't have that kind of patience. I'd go for the premade ones here. :blink: Just personal preference.

An SF330 is what an SF550 becomes with my dyslectic fingers.

Making things when you can't afford to buy them is what's not rocket science. Patience is acquired when there's no other options. Fortunate are those who can afford to buy, but I think they miss out on the special glow that comes with making something yourself after all the brainwork and problem-solving that precedes it.

The frames are on the windows... I just need to make the panes and put the glass in....

So would using a popsicle stick for the sides work ? and then skinny sticks on the other side..... I doubt that made sense to anyone but I have it in my head and will have to try it today.!

The floor had this type of rubber backed carpeting and is being a huge pain & mess to get off.... We will have to cover the floor with popsicle sticks...

I cant get anything lto uplaod here.. so there are pictures in my gallery !!

Kellee

An SF330 is what an SF550 becomes with my dyslectic fingers.

Making things when you can't afford to buy them is what's not rocket science. Patience is acquired when there's no other options. Fortunate are those who can afford to buy, but I think they miss out on the special glow that comes with making something yourself after all the brainwork and problem-solving that precedes it.

I agree with that! Especially when you have 15 windows to buy. I suppose I should have said my preference would be to buy ones, but in reality I probably would have had to make them too.

Sorry, Holly, I didn't mean to highlight a typo- I actually thought there might have been another model I didn't know about and that would have been interesting.

Kelly- I can' wait to see how it turns out!

I didn't mean to highlight a typo
That's OK, tiffany, I didn't mean to type one! I touch-type; the 'puter keyboard is enough different from one to the next (unlike old manual typewriter keyboards, lol) that there's no telliing what'll pop up.

If you have a router attachment & table it would be a whole lot easier to make those inner window facings with the sash-tracks than the "sandwich" method, but I'm such a klutz I'd go for the "sandwich". Nonworking windows are even ealier, go with the popsiclel sticks and split the skinny sticks for mullions. I'll be interested to see what you come up wiithI had to replace all the doors & windows on the Laurel rehab and made only one working window, and I made that one a casement!