Building mini houses helps when you have real house size problems.

Just One More

My son Michael and I have been removing panelling from all the walls in the basement. Mini houses are not structurally that different and it really helps to know how door frames etc. can be dismantled. I finally found a really nice man who owns his own construction company who specializes in fire and water damage repair. He was very impressed on what we had done so far and I found out as long as you remove all the wallboard with moisture, the mold problem is pretty much solved. Bleach, dehumidifiers and fans will dry out the wood frame and since I'm just leaving it down to the concrete he said it will be fine. I was a nervous wreck worring about mold. He is removing the lower kitchen cabinets in the basement and the wallboard behind them because it is wet 1/3 up the wall, and removing the shower in the basement bathroom and the wallboard so I'll have a proper drain. There is moisture 1/3 up the wall there also. He couldn't believe someone used the main drain for the shower. He's only charging $500 for all this. I have ordered a dumpster so that cuts down on the cost as they charge more to remove stuff and I had already ordered the dumppster. When all this is finished I will have a basic unfinished basement for storage and a place to go in a tornado. He was surprized how much I knew about framing, stringers, treads and risers etc. and I told him I have done it all before in miniature

I haven't been able to work on my BH and it sits on the kitchen table. Having to move all Michael's stuff upstairs has been a real job but it will all work out. They are delivering the big dumpster tomorrow but I think I'll need more than one. One day at a time I have to keep telling myself.

Pat, I really feel for you. I'm so glad you've been able to keep the mold at bay. Mold is certainly hazardous to your health! When you get it all cleaned out, do you think you can set up a dollhouse building area down there?

Are you going to re drywall? If you do, don't take the drywall all the way to the floor. Leave it up as high as you think any future water would go. Then leave an inch gap and drywall to the floor. You can use trim to cover the gap. You will have a finished basement again, but would only have to remove the bottom piece of drywall if you flood again.

I am thinking of you Pat as you deconstruct your basement and move Michael back upstairs. I know it is hard work and an upheaval, but hopefully it will all work out soon. I'm glad you found someone to put your mind at rest about the mold. Sending you good wishes!

Muriel :giggle:

You could also drywall part way and use a molded plastic material for baseboard & wainscots to finish your basement; the plastic material can be removed and cleaned with bleach and let dry in the sunlight if it ever floods again, and hopefully not as pricey to replace.

Pat, I really feel for you. I'm so glad you've been able to keep the mold at bay. Mold is certainly hazardous to your health! When you get it all cleaned out, do you think you can set up a dollhouse building area down there?

I hope I can set up an area where I can have my finished houses. There is plenty of overhead light. I could set up a really nice building area. I doubt we will have that much rain again but still don't want to put a lot of money into the basement. There are too many things upstairs that need work. Just getting it all clean and dry will be an expense so anything like new drywall etc. will be on hold. The lower cabinets being removed from the kitchen can be put back after the drywall and linolium is removed so will be used for storage. Right now it's hard to see what I really have to work with. We'll be busy all week just getting rid of all the mess.

You could also drywall part way and use a molded plastic material for baseboard & wainscots to finish your basement; the plastic material can be removed and cleaned with bleach and let dry in the sunlight if it ever floods again, and hopefully not as pricey to replace.

That's a great idea. It would be easy to remove if the water ever came in again. The builder said the wood framing can be dried so doesn't have to be removed. The main thing is keeping it dry with a dehumidifier and box fans. Some wood framing can't be just removed like drywall so it's a good thing just dryness takes care of the mold situation.