Lighthouse

kellee

In RL lighthouses the light is surrounded by mirors and the glass lenses that surround the sides at the top are very thick and faceted to magnify the effect of the lightsoursce (which was originally a candle, and later a lantern).

Do you want it to turn, like a real lighthouse light, or just light up?

I'm thinking an old glass babyfood jar or one of those little mustard/jelly sampler jars upside down with a bulb in it. It's hard to come up with a fresnel light in miniature! If you ran it separately from the other lights you could use one of the halogen spotlights. Those lighthouse lights were BIG. Here's a close up of the Haceta Head light in Oregon. Maybe you could use clear nail polish on the glass jar to imitate those ridges. . . Just some ideas.

post-1697-1213741588_thumb.jpg

I would like it to light up....it does not necessarily have to rotate but would be wonderful.! I am doing alot of brainstorming on this,, I will definatly share more as I get closer to it. I figure I better start looking now for the lighthouse light. I know it might get complicated.

Kellee

put a lightbulb on the floor of the beacon area then take a baby food jar and cover 3/4 of the inside with tin foil, then see if those hallmark ornament rotation motors can be incorporated into the elcectrical system and attach it to the ceiling of the beacon area. if the baby food jar is not too heavy you can somehow hang it from the ornament motor so it can spin around the lightbulb without having the lightbulb itself spinning. just a quick idea that came to mind, im sure it has its flaws though but its something to look into.

WOW, You are all great !! I am going on the hunt for glass baby food jars today... It has been about 6 years since I have purchased baby food.!! I wonder if they stil have tutti frutti ? Both my boys loved that and my oldest would eat it when my younest was having it.! LOL!!!

Well, I am on to trying to figure out the rest of the idea.!! !

I have to figure out how wide to make the top area....A few questions that come to mind are:

On the RGT Lighthouse,(it is kinda my inspiration) There is a railing around the top.. so is there room for a mini person to walk around that or is that just a decoration.?

Is the height from the railing floor to the roof top about 7" or is it not to scale?

It looks from the pictures taht the ladder goes up to the railing instead of inside the light, so is there a trap door somewhere or something similiar....

I have always loved the RGT lighthouse but I will never be able to afford it so this project is going to be fun.!!!

If anyone has any ideas Please let me know.! Also what colors would look good for a lighthouse... White with Navy blue trim ? For some reason I feel it should be white... what do you think.?

Thank You,

Kellee

Lighthouse colors were for the purpose of sticking out from the surrounding landscape seascape and being visible to a ship miles out to sea, so white really stuck out againts gray granite cliffs and red popped against a background of heavy vegetation.

i think the blue would look amazing!

Heres a diagram of my idea because i dont think it was that easy to understand... i think this would work well so long as those motors could be electrified properly.

you would need this and this

gallery_1884_1726_17305.jpg

My RGT lighthouse's light glass is about the size of a mason jar...a bit bigger than a baby food jar. It came with two lights, one steady and one that blinks to simulate the rotating light. Mine burnt out so I have to get them replaced. The cord for the light runs along the molding on the back and comes out he bottom. What's great about the lighthouse is you could use it as a nightlight in a room or hallway if you had room. A big nightlight, but at least it would be interesting.

Would the rotating motor twist the electrical cord running to the light? Maybe a light that runs on a battery would work. Debra

no. the lightbulb would be stationary attached to the floor and the babyfood jar would hang from the ceiling and spin around the lightbulb without touching it.

This is a great project! I LOVE lighthouses. I'm excited to see what you come up with.

As to baby food jars- I haven't bought them in ages but recently one got mixed into my grocery order from the lady in front of me. DH wanted to know if I was trying to tell him something!

Anyway, I was surprised to see it was in plastic, like a pudding cup. I hope some brands still use glass because they are so great for our purposes!

If you can't find glass babyfood jars, try the little glass jars chopped pimientos come in (you mix the pimientos with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and mayo to make sandwich spread).