THE best appetizer Dawn and I have ever eaten

heidiiiii

I found and tried this recipe on recipezaar.com: Portabello Mushroom Fries.

They served it at the restaurant in Sturbridge with Ranch dressing but I bet I can figure out something yummier..Like a creamy garlic type dip.

Try it...you`ll like it!

Marg,

Dawn and I were TRYING to be so civilized when this huge plate of these yummies hit the table. It ended after the first bite!

If anyone has a recipe for a nice creamy dip..it would be appreciated. It did taste good with the Ranch dressing but I am not a huge fan of that flavor.

I made these for Chelsea and I the other night. A package of 6 large mushrooms set me back $4.99 but I had to try it.

I used a vegan version. I used Energ-G egg replacer for dredging them. I used panko but you can easily use just regular breadcrumbs for the same result.

I have 3 shrooms leftover in the pack. Going to make it tonite for Fred to try with dinner.

Mmmmm sounds yummy! I love breaded mushrooms with garlic dip, so this sounds like a fantastic version with the cheese and pepper flakes. Will put them on my shopping list this week and try them out. Thanks Heidi!

PS for my dip I just crush some garlic and mix it with a bit of mayonaise and sour cream (fat free if you'd like). Sometimes add a little vinegar/lemon juice, and also add some herbs if you want, and pepper. Slightly different flavour is if you slightly caramelise the garlic on a low heat first... can also add some slightly caramelised onions.

Muriel :thumb:

When we get the "fried" craving I spray the iron skillet with cooking spray, dredge the goodies with flour, salt & pepper (very little salt) and pop them into the skillet and pop that into a prehated 400 - 450 degree oven for 7 - 10 minutes, turn it all over with a spatula and leave 'em for another 7 - 10 minutes; oven-fried without the saturated fats.

I was going to suggest that too Holly, just put them in a hot oven instead.

I bought my mushrooms today, and as I've passed my pharmacy degree, and Chris passed his Math teacher training course today we're celebrating with a nice dinner. We went out over the weekend, so we're eating in today. He loves chilli, so I'm cooking one, and will have some mushrooms and dip as starter while he nibbles some chicken goujons. I'll probably do the mushrooms in the oven while the chicken cooks. I'll let you know how they turn out!

Muriel:)