1/7/06 Imaginative Miniatures

Minis On The Edge

A friend of mine mentioned this link on another forum I belong to and I loved it so much. This person really plays with her dolls!!

It got me to wondering what imaginative ways have you found to "play" with your miniatures? Or are your minis more of a center peice or and nice conversation starter?

Here is the link I was talking about:

http://www.robing.net/ROVILLE/Buffy/pg/BDindex.html

:D LOL Tracy that's Awesome! :lol: I saved it to my favorites - is that a Samuel Jackson doll? Darn those are cool.

Well I have to say that I haven't played with dolls since my viking and Indian were running around together.. unless of course you count that brief Godzilla episode.. we won't talk about that - actually I still take that down occasionally - it makes stomping noises :lol: what can I say? It's good stress releif :lol:

But I did buy a box of tools for my gypsy caravan.. and was very dismayed to find all the tooles GLUED into the box! Hmph. so.. of course I had to pry them all out. What good are tools if you can use them, I mean play with them .. I mean..arrange them in the scene :lol: - after all the tin snips and pliers were made to open and close so logically they should be available to have open or closed :lol: heheh

-David

I absolutely LOVE that link!!!! I bookmarked it too :lol::) hmmm...I wonder what I could come up with for the caste I'm going to do....def. got me thinking...I could have bandits, parties, wars, tournaments, Balls, the ideas are endless...this could be tooooo much fun!!!!

That is just too funny! I wish I had the computer skills to do something like that. :D

Well to answer your question I do play with mine. The husband of the woman who lives in the Sunshine cottage it a doctor who is at a house call. Apparently it is very far away because she can't even remember what he looks like. ( well that could also be because I have not found him yet. :lol: ) I am in the prosses of making breakfast foods for them because there have been complaints about having to eat turkey three meals a day. I need to make clothes for the other people so they can go visiting. :lol:

I think I shared the story of the Cambridge's former residents, the Petty family; Mr Petty sold the house to the Wee family after he caught Mrs Petty on the bedroom balcony with Samuel L Jackson. The Pettys' servants have stayed on to do for the Wee folks. The Smalls are patiently waiting for me to build them the Willowcrest, and I haven't made the pub's owners or other patrons yet.

I think I shared the story of the Cambridge's former residents, the Petty family; Mr Petty sold the house to the Wee family after he caught Mrs Petty on the bedroom balcony with Samuel L Jackson.  The Pettys' servants have stayed on to do for the Wee folks.  The Smalls are patiently waiting for me to build them the Willowcrest, and I haven't made the pub's owners or other patrons yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the pub's causing you problems I could take a pub off your hands no prob. Full cellar of course. :lol:

OOOOOHHHHHHH booze is a many spleandored thing..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't made the pub's owners or other patrons yet.

With all the character you give to your little people, I can't wait to see what you come up with for the pub. (I was looking at your gallery pictures of the pub and was blown away! Totally *awesome* work Holly! It's like you can just walk right in, step over the peanut shells and sit down.)

So what plans do you have for the owners and patrons? What type of people will the owners be and what kind of clientelle will they serve?

Deb

When I started this fabulous hobby, I was expecting that they would just be display pieces. Then one night I caught myself sitting cross-legged on the floor, happily singing to myself while I rearranged furniture and positioned things just right.......and it hit me that I was playing! I thought about that for a minute and realized that all the daily stress had disappeared and I was just happy in that moment. What could be any better than that?

Deb

Isn't it funny how we forget to 'play' --simply because we achieve an elderly status--(I'm celebrating my 39th birthday for the 2nd time this year! :lol: ) but I found myself like Debbie, re-arranging Miss Mabel and her good friend Miss Prune, and soon they were babbling happily over the parlor picture arrangements, and how Miss Mabel's wayward son is finally coming home to help her with the cottage... :lol: (I haven't found Miss Mabel a wayward son yet--a terrible worry for her, he hasn't settled down from the Grand Tour and likes to play polo too much and fox hunt too much--hence his string of horses that will soon be arriving....)

Has anyone read Tasha Tudor's books about her dollhouse? It is on a scale like Roville, but Tasha Tudor's dolls actually 'send' mail by the Sparrow post, with real stamps and real written and sealed letters to each other, and they even have real food on the table! :D I have been wanting that book badly, have not yet been able to afford it--but I too bookmarked Roville. Someone has a great talent for story telling with their dolls. Barbies and action figures are so much more realistic nowadays, it's easier for them to be believable.

As far as Miss Mabel is--I have some updated photos in my webshots on the Cottage. http://community.webshots.com/user/lisan204

what plans do you have for the owners and patrons? What type of people will the owners be and what kind of clientelle will they serve
Porter & Emma Stout will be the owners, I've got a rough image in my mind but I'm still searching passing faces for the "right" look. He'll be retired military with tattoos on his forearms & a Herb Tarlton check or plaid suit (anyone else remember "WKRP"?) & she'll be short, "fluffy" and queen of her kitchen. The patrons will be mostly the local residents (DH shakes his head when I start in on the neighborhood I want to build with the Cheltenham, the Willowcrest, any others that look fun to build).

it hit me that I was playing! I thought about that for a minute and realized that all the daily stress had disappeared and I was just happy in that moment

I let my inner child out to play with the Cambridge while I was building a Buttercup (for sale) and it was so glorious to discover she still likes to play with dollhouses I just haven't made her go back in again! :lol:

The lady of the Lily was checking out its progress and is really getting impatient with such slow builders and really wants to be in the new house by spring. Of course I play with my dollhouses being a mother of 2 little girls we play all sorts of things. I even play with my sons CSI stuff he got for christmas, it does relive alot of stress and you seem to forget that you are a adult with adult responsibilites for a bit. I guess we all are still a kid at heart.

Lyn :lol:

Lisa...I really like how your Arthur is turning out.

are you keeping that one for yourself?

looking forward to seeing more!

I would love to play with my dollhouses but I mostly just do it in my head as I have no dolls who live in any of my houses!

isnt that sad?

nutti :lol:

Poor Nutti :lol: , you definitely need dolls to play with!!! :lol: I'm not really playing with my dolls - even as a child I prefered to sit in front of my dollhouse and just watch it. (That's why my Playmobil dollhouse is still in very good condition although I have it since 1989. :lol: ) Very strange - I know... :lol: But I used to make up stories in my head and sometimes I still do so. :D And I love to rearrange the furniture and to decorate my dollhouses from time to time.

I would love to play with my dollhouses but I mostly just do it in my head as I have no dolls who live in any of my houses!

isnt that sad?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who would you like to have live in your dollhouses? I know that you have a great imagination.

GREAT NEWS ... I'm on cloud 9 right now. I was invited out to see my granddaughters on Tuesday evening. I gave them their Christmas roomboxes. They love them!! Their mum even let them phone me before bedtime to tell me that they hadn't left stopped arranging and re-arranging their furniture since they had received them.

Susanne

GREAT NEWS ... I'm on cloud 9 right now. I was invited out to see my granddaughters on Tuesday evening. I gave them their Christmas roomboxes. They love them!! Their mum even let them phone me before bedtime to tell me that they hadn't left stopped arranging and re-arranging their furniture since they had received them.

now that is great news!!! Im so Happy for you! and you heard from the girls themselves how much they love what you did for them!! very kewl!

but we all knew they would go over with a big bang!

congrats!

GREAT NEWS ... I'm on cloud 9 right now.  I was invited out to see my granddaughters on Tuesday evening.  I gave them their Christmas roomboxes.  They love them!!  Their mum even let them phone me before bedtime to tell me that they hadn't left stopped arranging and re-arranging their furniture since they had received them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahhh, great you could finally give the roomboxes to your granddaughters!!! :lol: For sure they love them - your roomboxes are just lovely, Susanne! I envy the girls for having such a wonderful grandmother!!!

I also "spritzed" their roomboxes with Shalean's favourite scent "Love's Baby Soft". She took a deep sniff and said "thank you grammy". She told her sister to smell the boxes. Then the girls and I spent time together looking at all of the items I'd included in the boxes ... Cinderella books, pictures and doll for Renee (her favourite princess), and for Shalean the book "The Gingerbread Boy", and lots of flowers. I had such a good time.

Susanne

That's wonderful Suzanne, you were able to give your granddaughters their gifts. Love how you spritzed it with some pleasant smells too!

Yes, Nutti, this one is for me. :lol: I have been looking through my items and collection and am amazed what I pull out of boxes, drawers, etc. that I collected as a young child and teenager, and made back then that fits in with my houses now. As a kid I never had a house with proper windows, or a door, did have stairs that were wonderful. As a kid I used to sit in front of my dollhouse and decide the dolls needed new clothes for the ball, party, or dinner, and make them. I too, would make up stories in my head about them, and to a certain extent I still do, but now I am more picky with my minis. That vase needs to be made out of glass, not toothpaste tops! :D the flowers have to look 'real' and the food does, too.

Nutti, why not buy yourself some dolls? Once you get started, you won't stop! I love dolls, especially miniature ones, and collect when I can.

Nutti, why not buy yourself some dolls? Once you get started, you won't stop! I love dolls, especially miniature ones, and collect when I can.

I seem to be particular about the dolls.

I dont want what everyone else has and I have this thing for faces.

so if I ever find "my" dolls I do plan on buying some. I wish I werent so picky!

• 10 months later...

I make great dolls. And, since I have kits, you can make a doll to fit your personality and the style of doll house. Suddenly the building comes alive, whether you make a doll to visit, a postman stopping by wondering why no one is home, a gardener in the yard, a family who has a vacation house in another room or a little old lady upstairs. (Anyone with an imagination starts making up stories and synarios). My dolls are made from my potters clay that make them heavy in your hand, they really feel good, and poly that have bendable knees for kids. They have happy faces, they have real clothes and mohair wigs. I have been selling them with my pottery at shows for 15 years, but just started marketing them in magazines and mailings. I have a catalog, a story book too. Their first adventure is a reunion on the coast of Maine. Gramma Achy lives in a Buttercup cottage on the side of a hill. Her brothers live over on an island, and family comes from New England to visit and have some fun. Oh, and Uncle Lou comes over from Italy with some surprizes. Check it out!

www.littlereggiesdolls.com