Greenleaf Dollhouse kits

Missymew

This afternoon I punched out the window and door trims for my Adams dollhouse kit.

I just had to post and share how easily these pieces popped out. I always use the eraser end of a pencil to punch out my pieces. The door and window trims popped out like a hot knife through butter.

From time to time I've read posts where builders have difficult with splintering or pieces being difficult to punch. I've not ever had a problem. Rarely I use my exacto knife to deepen the cut-line, but not that often. Otherwise, I always use my pencil eraser (saves on the fingernails and doesn't scratch my wooden pieces).

All of my Greenleaf kits have either been purchased directly through the Greenleaf Store, or from HBS (they do have great sales). I only buy from Greenleaf and HBS because I know that the kits have been stored properly.

Once home, my kits are kept on the top shelf in my workshop area. I never store them outside or in damp places. That's the main reason that I don't buy from sellers that I don't know. I just don't know how the kits have been stored.

I hope everyone else who is building the Adams kit is having as much fun as I am.

-Susanne

Susanne, you are so right!! I just got the new Adams in and compared to the old one I did last fall (From YEARS ago) This one is PERFECT!! The Madison is Great too. I just had to get that one too (As if I needed another house). Like you, I only have issues with the older kits that has not been stored correctly bought used on ebay. You can work with the old one but the new ones are PERFECT.

Thanks for sharing your kit review :banana::)

Yes, the older houses may have "issues". If you like the "regular" new Greenleaf kits, you'd LOVE the birch ones! Not only do the parts press out easily, once they're out, they require very little sanding or touch-up, and are so easy to fit together.

I'm looking forward to trying one of the birch kits.

-Susanne

Well let me just whisper LE Arthur..... He is a dream to work with!

Hugs (and I too loved the tips on pencil eraser thank you!)

What a great idea - the pencil eraser. I aven't put together any houses yet. I'm new here and my very first dollhouse is a Willowcrest that I received already finished. I just have to furnish it. But I am indeed HOOKED. You all mention houses by their names and I have no idea what they look like. Is there a place I can go to see so I can put a picture with a name. Then I can start my wish (dream) list....

Thank you in advance - I've already seen what a helpful friendly bunch you are!

What a great idea - the pencil eraser. I aven't put together any houses yet. I'm new here and my very first dollhouse is a Willowcrest that I received already finished. I just have to furnish it. But I am indeed HOOKED. You all mention houses by their names and I have no idea what they look like. Is there a place I can go to see so I can put a picture with a name. Then I can start my wish (dream) list....

Thank you in advance - I've already seen what a helpful friendly bunch you are!

yes actually there is, a member here, Newt, has made a dollhouse encyclopedia in her blog. here is the link

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/b...minis/index.php?

oh by the way you are way lucky to have a willowcrest. it has been discontinued but many people here, myself included, want one really badly.

Thanks for the info Jeffrey - the more I read, the more I realize how lucky I am to have the Willowcrest. It was a Mother's Day present from my oldest daughter (she's a member here also with incredible houses). I will post photos as soon as I can.

I see you collect Lundbys - I just sold one on eBay about a month ago. Too bad I didn't know about this forum then.

My Old Adams kit had water damage at some point :bookread: . The box had a water stain on it and all. Of course, I had bought it on ebay and was excited just to get that kit since it had been discontinued so long. I am so happy they brought it BACK!!!

The old kits that I have that were stored correctly are perfect too.The Good thing is even the OLD water stained kit turn out very well once I started working on it. So far, I have never bought an old kit that I could not use (As if there is such a thing when you are addicted to them anyway :thumb: ) .

PAm I can not wait to see your Willowcrest!!!

I have had kits that splinter, i have had kits that have difficult parts to punch out, but for the most part i have had a great experience with the kits that i've built.

I punch out the small difficult pieces with a butter knife, just slowly and gently exerting pressure.

I love these kits. very versatile, they look like real homes and you can definately use your imagination with them. I love all my dollhouses actually, doesn't matter who the manufacturer is. :thumb:

I have had kits that splinter, i have had kits that have difficult parts to punch out,
So have I, but I use my utility knife to get the tough ones out and I lovethem ALL! The worst kit I ever got (from HBS) was a Buttercup that the bay wall had been misaligned on the die so the cuts were 'way, 'way off; that was my inspiration for my first bash:

gallery_8_76_40828.jpg