Got someone new at least a little interested in minis

tcmorrison

I know I might be being a little silly, but I just didn't expect the reaction I got...I was seeing my therapist yesterday and I had brought my camera, which has pics of my Newburg (yet to be down loaded and posted on here) and my micro Queen Anne to my appointment. I have bi-polar disorder and an anxiety disorder and my kids (2 who also have some issues) can really get to me. I wanted her to understand more about me...she thought the dollhouse was neat, but really was interested in the other stuff. I pulled out one of the sides (2 legs) of the display table that you can buy for the QA...she just acted like it was the coolest thing. I just didn't expect it...she doesn't act like she's better than other people, but you can tell by what she wears and the interior decorating in her office that she is well off, I guess I didn't think that she would be the type to think that minis are so cool. I don't know if she will ever build, but she has grand-daughters that she dearly loves and might decide too...or have one built. I'm getting a feeling that I might be asked. How fun would that be...do something I love AND get paid.

Terri

That's neat Terri! Don't think that just because someone is well off they wouldn't be interested in minis. There are collectors out there that spend a fortune on these things! It takes all kinds in this hobby.

I hope you are doing well. Bipolar can be a tough one to deal with. Glad to see you here and mini-ing away!

Well off?? I think it helps to be well-off if you get interested in this hobby! The kits alone are way expensive..and then if you have to buy the tools, even the most basic ones, to build. And that's just the beginning..we've already seen that you can spend more on some dollhouse furnishings than you'd spend in your "real" house! I suspect there are a lot of well-off people very interested in this hobby...just look at some of the dollhouses that end up in museums, for example. The owners had to have BIG bucks to be able to afford and maintain them.

It'll be fun to see if she continues to show interest, when you see her!

Heck, the word "hobby" spells $$$ to me...just because this stuff is small doesn't mean it is without a hefty price tag. Which is why I try as I can to create my own furnishings and such, but for me that is the challenge - seeing if I can make it rather than buy it.

I hope you have converted another person to mini's - we are a small but vital group, and the more the merrier! I think if most people saw the beauty and fascination in miniature, the less problems there would be -so much of this world needs to "down-size" anyway, right??? :wave: ;)

Heck, the word "hobby" spells $$ to me...just because this stuff is small doesn't mean it is without a hefty price tag. Which is why I try as I can to create my own furnishings and such, but for me that is the challenge - seeing if I can make it rather than buy it.

I hope you have converted another person to mini's - we are a small but vital group, and the more the merrier! I think if most people saw the beauty and fascination in miniature, the less problems there would be -so much of this world needs to "down-size" anyway, right??? :wave: ;)

I agree.

Heck, the word "hobby" spells $$$ to me...just because this stuff is small doesn't mean it is without a hefty price tag. Which is why I try as I can to create my own furnishings and such, but for me that is the challenge - seeing if I can make it rather than buy it.

I agree, too!

Terri, IMO I think recruit your therapist to build her own dollhouse and invite her to join the forum. There's that gray area of professional ehtics here...

I'm delighted you & your therapist get along so well, our DS was thrown out of therapy because hecouldn't tolerate the side effects of the meds he was on and no one wanted to work with him without his being "on" something... (also questionable ethics IMO)

I am glad she is in your corner.

My therapist kinda didn't *get* the dollhouse hobby. She said the ultimate question we all hear." What do you do with them when you are done?" I said play with them...She made a funny look. I was thinking I was gonna be fitted for a snug jacket and put on a heavy regimen of zone out juice. :)