Heidi Ott Wigging

Sarah91

Ok I bought a Heidi Ott woman without clothes or hair because it was the cheapest way to buy her ($20 on Ebay!). Now I want to buy her a husband but before I spend even more money I should give her some hair so he isn't repulsed by his bald wife! =) I an going to buy one of the Heidi Ott wigs however...

How hard is it to wig them? Or is it better to buy them with the hair? Seems to me that the women would be easier to wig than the men. Anyone who can give me some advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I just rewigged one of my Heidi ott dolls. I took off the old one. ( still useable) and put on the new one. Just be very sparing with the glue it does not take a lot.Try the wig on the head to get an idea of where you need to glue. I put the glue on the top and back of the the head and spread it around. Just wipe it off if it gets where you don't want it. It will spread so don't put it right to the edge of where the wig will go. Pull the extra hair out of the way and set the on head and press down to get the glue to grab. The biggest thing to be careful of is to not get glue in the hair just on the head.

• 5 years later...

quote name="Shakyshaky" post="257763" timestamp="1213368019"]I just rewigged one of my Heidi ott dolls. I took off the old one. ( still useable) and put on the new one. Just be very sparing with the glue it does not take a lot.Try the wig on the head to get an idea of where you need to glue. I put the glue on the top and back of the the head and spread it around. Just wipe it off if it gets where you don't want it. It will spread so don't put it right to the edge of where the wig will go. Pull the extra hair out of the way and set the on head and press down to get the glue to grab. The biggest thing to be careful of is to not get glue in the hair just on the head.

• 7 years later...

Thanks for this post! Waiting for my new "resident" to arrive so he can move into The Washington I am rehabbing. But he will need hair and clothes (my little guy will be entirely bald!) I want to make grey hair and a beard for him. Also some coveralls (he has a lot of work to do in there!) Has anyone done this before? It would be great to be able to change things up later if I feel like it or if he does - advice welcome and needed! Does anyone have leads on clothing patterns (sewing - I do not know how to knit.) Should I buy shoes or attempt to make them? Looking forward to your photos of elderly Heidi Ott residents and friends . . .

F70B3356-AA35-4AAA-9A9A-690A5B43FFEF_4_5005_c.jpeg

On 3/29/2021 at 3:22 PM, havanaholly said:

I use Sue Atkinson's book for wigging all the little people I make.

Thank you! I picked up this little friend for him, too. He might live in the house for a while until the house next door is renovated . . .  I figure they can be neighbors! Both will need clothes. Between the houses and the sewing, I guess I will be busy forever. Lol! Neither one has a name yet. Will wait for them to introduce themselves. Am I the only one who is a bit crazy like this?

EA42CA2F-DCDE-4D27-9C29-B55BF0CEAF48.jpeg

Hi! Working on a wig for Mo, my bald Heidi Ott friend. It is coming out fairly well (photos soon) but am wondering what type of glue or adhesive will work best if I want to be able to remove it later on so he can have a different look in the future? I am giving him a beard, too and he might decide to shave it off someday! I ended up using shreds of fiber from my carpet that I fuzzed out using my cat's brush. It looks surprisingly like old man frizzy hair!

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone else needs the info, too.

For a removable wig, first cover the doll's head snugly with plastic wrap.  Cover the doll's body with a separate piece, to keep it clean.

Next, fit thin cotton knit fabric to the head (I learned this using glove leather, but that's hard to find now.  Use a tee shirt dyed with tea to match the color of the doll's skin).  Clip as needed to fit snugly.  It should extend past the hairline, you'll trim it later.  White or Tacky glue fabric to fabric (not to the plastic), and let dry.

Mark center front, then remove the cloth cap--with the plastic if needed, then separate the plastic and use it or a new piece to cover the head again.  Put the cloth cap back on, too, with center front where it was.

Mark the desired hairline on the cloth cap.  Remove from doll and trim about 1/16" inside the marked line.  Make sure center front is still marked.  Put the cap back on doll, and make sure hairline is what you want.  Fix it now if it needs it.  If the cap shifts around on the head a lot, use a bit of blu tak or museum wax to hold it in place.

Glue the hair on, making sure it covers the edges of the cap.