Livingroom furniture is done

keinanna

Thank you

Yesterday my DH told me he did not like how dark i had stained the furniture but today with the cushions on it he says it looks a lot better which i knew it would. Having the dark wood with the light fabric has a nice contrast which makes it look nice i think.

You are doing a great job with the furniture, and the fabric looks beautiful with the dark stain. I'm glad you showed that to us, since I bought the same kit on eBay for my mother last year, and it's nice to see how you did it.

One of the chairs the one i have a picture of with the shelf unit was supossed to have a longer back with a mirror on it but i did not like it so i cut the top part off and rounded the back of the chair it looks much better now and i think i will use the other piece as a picture frame instead

Thats what i love about victorian furniture the dark wood with the contrasting fabrics. The kit came with formed cushions in red velvet like material but they looked awful so i recovered them. I used spray adhesive and put the fabric over the formed piece then used white glue on the back of it. It got a bit bunched up which i did not like but it works ok and since it is going to my daughter i am not too worried about perfection since she will love it even if it is not perfect

Candace-

It looks very nice! Your daughter is a lucky little girl. How old is she? I always forget how nice these kits can look when you give them a little TLC. Maybe I'll try one- you've given me some inspiration.

Thanks for all the kind comments :p

My daughter is 3 1/2 years old my starting on dollhouses was brought on by my idea to make her a dollhouse for her 4th birthday in November. Since making that decision i have become very interested in doing it as a hobby i have been so inspired by all the people on this forum looking at all the beautiful houses that i just want to keep making them and have so many ideas.

I am hoping that my daughter will love her house so much that she will allow me to pass on all her other plastic houses to other children. Both my brother and sister are having their first children this year so i have people to give them to.

The plastic houses are fine for little ones but she has so many and they dont really allow her to be very imaginative as everything is moulded into the the house. she cant move any of it around. hopefully with thi she will learn to be more creative and enjoy playing more.

My daughter has "special needs" and part of that is that she lacks a lot of social skills and does not have strong imaginative play skills so i hope that this will be something special which will help her develop the skills she is lacking. If she gets as excited about the house as i hope she does i am pretty confident that she will improve since she needs to be very motivated to try out new things.

she was very excited about the furniture and was arranging it to make it look like a real room when she saw it yesterday so i am hopeful that she will like her gift. The only problem will be getting her to understand that she cant have it for another 5 months

Candace-

I say just let her play with the furniture while you build the house. She's too little to wait that long. Give her a shoe box and let her arrange away. At that age they are so happy with a box! You can give her fabric pieces for rugs and blankets. Let her just make it up as she goes. Good use of imagination! Then when she gets the house she can help you decorate it. I always have to remember with Paige that the Cardinal house is hers, and I let her make nearly all of the decisions. I did gently guide her when she wanted to paint the roof white. She conceded that golden oak was much better in the end.

She sounds like a sweetie. My friend told me the other day that the little girl I built the house for at Christmas takes everyone that comes over by the hand and has to show them "something special." She then proceeds to show and tell them all aboout her dollhouse. I hope this might be what your daughter does too! It warms my heart to know that something I made is bringing such joy to a child.

I do let her play with the furniture in the office while i am working on things it lets her feel included and happy to be with me. So far she has not really asked to take it anywhere she is just happy to play with it on the top of the box i have been using a a painting base so it can be moved while waiting to dry (dont want little hands getting varnish and house paint on them)

Keira is not so sure of her colours and things yet and does not really know how to express what she wants which is part of her special needs otherwise i would love to have her help choose things. right now she just likes to watch and play with the completed work ;)

Thats so sweet that the little girl is so excited about her house although it is beautiful and i can see why!