doll clothes

dragonlady1380

Are you going to put them on dolls or on hangers/loose on beds/chairs etc? I make the clothes differently depending on where on how I am going to use them, ie some I glue and use starch and pins to pose, others I "sew" parts of together like the real ones and then glue other parts so I am no help am I???? :lol:

Hugs

Hi, I made some clothes for my nude Heidi ott kid dolls being desperate. I guess I'll make that my first pictures sometime this week..when I figure out to post a photo??? I did it by trial and error and they aren't that good but they have to be dressed, right? I did order a book from Hobby Builders named "The Miniature Costumier." It has patterns and all even though I didn't use it yet I think it will help me in the future. It even shows how to make shoes! The woman who wrote it,Catriona Hall, fromTasmania, is incredible and I will use it as a reference. For someone interested in sewing for these ittie bitties I think it would be helpful. It's over 100 pages in color and her work is magnificent. Well worth the investment for someone who wants to try.

Good luck!

I have made tons of Barbie and RL clothes but making clothes for 5 - 6 inch dolls is more of a challange. I bought some patterns and made a trial butler outfit and then adjusted the pattern, since it was too small for my doll. It came out nicely, but I did relent and used a combination of sewing (mostly) and fabric/hot glues. My ambition was to have the clothes removeable but it was too hard, bulky and I got lazy. The most important lesson was that the patterns need adjusting most of the time. Inset sleeves are a real pain too, trying to get them to lay right (this is a pain even for real life clothes making). Try starting out with simple gathered or straigth skirts and make poncho type tops (sewing the side seam from waist to end of sleeve, instead of inset sleeves). Make a square/rectangle and cut a hole for the head, sew the side seams and trim away the excess. Of course, doing collars/neck facings is a little tricky. Good luck (it is one of my many mini ambitions to get good at clothes, too.)

"The Miniature Costumier."

An incredible book and instructions. I have made some of her clothes. I love them.

Another good book is by Sue Atkinson -- something about "dressing dolls" in the title. I bought this great book at Amazon. She even has a section about how to put doll kits together and wig them.

:p

good luck.

i never had the patience or skills for doll clothes. at my first miniatures show i bought two inexpensive full-bodied nude bisque or porcelain dolls. i couldn't wait to shop for proper fabrics or trim, so the first i cut up my own clothes for and glued into a version of mini-me. except for the strange, hard gluey lump in the small of her back, not too terrible.

the second doll was supposed to be rhett butler. i sacrificed my best sunday linen handkerchief to make him a suit of planter's white-- except it didn't work out. it really didn't work out. from then on it was strictly toga party for poor rhett. i think he has gone to live in a drawer somewhere in shame.

like i said-- good luck. :p

I use the patterns in Sue Atkinson's and Sue Heaser's books as points of departure, since many of my dolls are more Arts & Crafts/ WWI era than Victorian/ Edwardian, but I have dressed a lot of dolls and RL folks over the years. I know it's possible to make removable clothes in 1:12 scale, but IMO they don't drape or look as well.

I know it's possible to make removable clothes in 1:12 scale, but IMO they don't drape or look as well.

Oh Holly, you have to see the removable clothes Catriona Hall makes. :p I will try to remember to scan in some of the clothes on her dolls from her book to show everyone. As I said, I have made clothes from her patterns. They do fit properly as long as you tailor them for the doll who will wear them. Her patterns are for current-day; although, Sue's clothes can be modified for a modern look -- especially with the Victorian men's clothes.

I have found that the secret to properly fitting clothes is the same as for "real" people -- making the clothes to fit a specific body! :)

:mad:

Melissa did a tutorial on this forum for a dress on a hanger. I'll see if I can find the link. Even I was able to follow her nice clear directions. It turned out really great.

Here it is:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...q=sc&cat=38

You'll find it on the Gallery Page, under Member Pictorials.

-Susanne

I use Sue Atkinsons book and it is amazing! I have no talent for sewing but my mom helps and she has made some clothes for my dolls from the patterns in the book and they fit my dolls wonderfully.