Anyone working on the Adams for the HBS contest?

alycemina

The exterior of my Adams is finished except for the shingles and I expect to have them finished up by tonight. The interior is mostly finished - just a little touch-up painting to do. Then all I'll have left to do is furnish it!

This will be my first time entering the contest & I don't have any expectation of even coming close to winning anything - I'm far too much of a novice & it shows :missing: But it's a cute little kit & goes together like a dream & then of course, getting next year's kit just for entering was all sorts of motivation for entering!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got most of the outside done on mine, however I'm having a problem getting the porch to stay put. Am I doing something wrong? Did anyone else have a problem with the porch? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the porch to quit falling off the house? I'm open to all ideas!!! I'm also trying to figure out what I'm wanting in a fireplace. Those two things are my biggest obstacles right now. After I get those figured out, then all that I'll have left is decorating.

I added a foamcore base to keep the porch in place. As far as a fireplace, I've seen lots of great ones on the forum. It just depends on your theme, but I love the ones that are done in stones. I will be using that idea in a future project! I'm sorry I STILL don't know how to post links here, but I'm sure someone will help you out with links soon!

u had to mention dreams i had the weiredest one last night. sharon osborne was upset so i invited her in for a coffe and a chat she wanted to steal my dogs and we sat and made my new dollhouses together it was very odd. she was lovley tho a very nice person

I'm working on the Adams and I have posted pics in the gallery...its not completed yet...but working on it as I feel up to it....I'm doing it as a one room school....

THAT's what we didn't do, we didn't look at your minis! Oh, well, maybe next time...

That's because there's not much to see, yet! Everything is about how it is in my albums. I spend too much time online, and trying to make decisions about what to do with the houses! I have spent most of today wrestling with where I want lights, what wallpaper, etc., etc. Next time you're in town, I'll have more done, I promise! Besides, with all of your great tips and ideas yesterday, I am really motivated now - still can't make decisions - but motivated! -_-

• 3 weeks later...

I finally found and ordered a miniature I needed for the adams project. I received it today. It is wonderful and will really make my scene.

I am also going to make some dolls to populate my adams. (At least I am going to try.) :banana::D:banana:

In my recent entries, I took digital photos but printed them for submission with the entry form. The instructions state:

When you are finished, send us no more than 4 high-quality, 4" x 6" photographs (front, sides and rear views) of your mini project. Please do not glue or attach your photos to any kind of background surface. We cannot return these photos. Please do not use Polaroids or low resolution digital print-outs, as they do not reproduce well. Be sure your photos are in focus! Entries will not be accepted unless accompanied by photos.

That doesn't seem to leave any way to submit photos in a digital format.

I'm working on the Adams for the contest.....That means I took it out of the box, looked at it & it's in a pile under my work table ! I just can't decide what theme I want to go with. However, I am really involved with the bus kit right now, so the Adams will have to wait a little while.

As far as photos...You can take digital photos & then take your camera or disk to a photo shop or pharmacy & they can print out a 4 x 6 photo for you. All the CVS pharmacies in our area do this.

Steve

hmmm, that's a bit ordinary. Given they go on the website and in the catalog, surely digital is the best format for them, rather than having to scan in photos??!!!?

Apparently not. :D

I imagine hundreds and hundreds of photos pinned to a very large wall, with the judges going over them with magnifying glasses ... :yay:

From the horses mouth:

-----Original Message-----

Hi earnie

Question: Can we take digital photos for the creatin contest. Or isn't

that appropriate?

I see that you need to send the pictures but I need to know if digital

camera is out.

Here is what ernie says.

Hi Pat:

We appreciate your shopping on miniatures.com.

You may take digital photos and have them printed at a photo developing

store or kiosk. Then send them in along with the contest entry form. The

judges do not accept email photos or entry forms as it could give an

unfair advantage to one contestant over another. Sorry.

Mini thanks.

Harry Candullo

Internet Coordinator

miniatures.com

Enter the world's largest mini store!

http://www.miniatures.com

2388 Pleasantdale Road - Atlanta, GA 30340-3152

Phone Orders: 1.800.926.6464 - Fax Orders: 1.770.242.1497 - Customer

Service: 1.800.223.7171

:yay:

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working hard :huh: (hmmm that word doesn't sound appropriate considering I've been enjoying myself) on my Adams contest entry. I'm nearly finished. All that's left is the roof shingles, and some landscaping.

Ray called me downstairs to my worktable a few days ago :unsure: He was assembling the porch portion of the kit, and noticed that I'd not painted all of the pieces. I knew that I had - I'd punched out every little piece and painted them. They were all laid out on a piece of wax paper waiting for him to complete the assembly. I couldn't believe that I'd missed any. There were lots of little pieces and I'd patiently painted all of them. He showed me the picture of the porch that came with the directions. Sure enough, I'd painted all of the little pieces that I'd punched out .... only the pieces that I'd punched out were scrap pieces. :blink: So, I put all my nicely painted little "scrap" pieces in my scrap box, and painted the porch railing ... which consisted of three nice-sized pieces. :rolleyes:

What would I do without Ray. -_-

-Susanne

I've finished my Adams contest entry. I sure enjoyed this little house. Now I'm eyeing the Madison. :dunno:

Isn't that the way, we no sooner finish one house, move another one onto the work table and then choosing our next build! I've been looking at Linda Cullen's Madison and really would like to try one myself.

-Susanne

I still have a lot of work to do on the Adams, but know what needs to be done. I'm hoping it turns out how I invision it.

The Pierce is still calling my name, I've been doing little bits on her. Now all the kits in boxes (and kits I want to buy in the far off future) are talking to me! I think I might have to quit my job and give up sleeping to keep up with all these demanding houses :dunno:

I just need to tune them all out, and devote my time to the Adams. He's been very patient, but I'm a terrible procrastinator, so I would feel better having it done way before the deadline. I can't wait to see everyone's entries!