Anyone working on the Adams for the HBS contest?

alycemina

Hi all,

I started my Adams for the HBS contest (due date for pictures is in December). That is, I took it out of the box and taped one side wall to the front wall to stare at while I think of how to execute my idea. I am wondering if anyone else is planning to enter and have they got the Adams yet or started!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where will i find the adams or a pic of it

There's a pic here http://www.miniatures.com/hbs/global/index2.asp at the bottom of the page.

I'm working on mine but, I'm not really "in it to win it" so to speak. I need it for my scene so, it worked out perfectly :jump:

I think 6 months should allow me enough time to finish it.

I'm working on the Adams, too. I'm sure I won't win anything, but I am having fun with it and trying new things. I have the shell built and it is sided (first attempt at siding :jump: ). The interior kind of has me stumped at the moment, as far as decor, but I have a lot of things to go in it. :jump:

I'm not really planning on entering the contest, but my plan for the Adams is to bash it together with the Madison to make a miniature of the house my Dad grew up in. Dad was born waaaaaaaaaay deep in the Ozark mountains in 1923. He was the youngest of 10 children and they were all raised in a one room house with a loft and a lean-to kitchen. I don't have a good picture of the house, but this is a sketch that one of my cousins did that shows more details than the pictures do.

post-329-1212803004_thumb.jpg

The history behind the house is pretty cool. My great-grandmother was a single mother in the 1800's.........not a popular lifestyle at that time and she took more than her share of grief over it. From what I've been told of her, she was an incredibly strong woman. While she was raising my Granddad, she worked as a housekeeper and took on as many spare jobs as she could get, saving every penny till she could buy a farm. She and my Granddad (in his teens by then), built the house themselves and worked the farm. When my grandparents got married, they lived there with her and raised their children there. My Granddad lived there till he died at the age of 98.

You can see why the Madison and Adams are perfect for this project. I'm excited about doing it, I just don't know when I'll be able to build it, so it probably won't be in time for the contest. But my main goal is to have a miniature tribute to a very strong and determined lady.

Deb

I'm going to enter the contest though I never expect to win, but it is worth sending it in to get the next year's contest entry. I have the shell together and primed.

I have started my adams. I just finished bricking the exterior using Bromley brick compound and stencil kit (I won it from a dh miniatures magazine contest). This is the first time that I used the brick compound so it's not perfect but it looks good anyway.

P.S. You can get Bromley's brick compound and stencils from craft-products.com

Hi Alyce ... I think several of us are working on the Adams. There was a thread going a while back. The construction part of mine is finished but for a little painting, so now I'm working on the interior. I bashed two kits together and modified the porch roof to make a Creole Cottage for Marie Laveau, the New Orleans voodoo queen. :jump:

I'm going to send for one probably this week. I noticed that they aren't available directly from Greenleaf. Is this a kit made exclusively for this contest? It is so inexpensive that I'm thinking it would be good practice before jumping into the Cambridge. I'm finishing up the Glencroft and I did make several mistakes. I still love the house and it will look okay. The next one I do, I would like to go together a little easier. I have a lot of ideas. I love the Ozark recreation mentioned in another post. What a neat keepsake and tribute. I'm thinking of an old movie tableau, or a shop. When I look at the front it seems like a couple of horses should be tied up there.

I'm going to send for one probably this week. I noticed that they aren't available directly from Greenleaf. Is this a kit made exclusively for this contest? It is so inexpensive that I'm thinking it would be good practice before jumping into the Cambridge. I'm finishing up the Glencroft and I did make several mistakes. I still love the house and it will look okay. The next one I do, I would like to go together a little easier. I have a lot of ideas. I love the Ozark recreation mentioned in another post. What a neat keepsake and tribute. I'm thinking of an old movie tableau, or a shop. When I look at the front it seems like a couple of horses should be tied up there.

Cheryl, this house goes together beautifully! It's a very easy build. The horses tied up front was one of the first things I thought of, too, but the Adams had other ideas. :jump:

I was working on mine right after the Spring Fling deadline. I got as far as moving a window and the door, and it stopped speaking to me - except to say that it doesn't like the direction I was headed! Oh well, it's put away for now and I am working on my Plantation house instead. I always get ideas while I'm working on something else anyway.

Deb, I adore your plans! Can't wait to see everyone's!

I'm with CJEP - it's great that they give you the build for the next year's contest just for submitting an entry! I've got mine up (it really it an easy build), wired and painted. Now it's just a matter of decorating - it's going to be a tight fit for what I want to do with it, but hopefully it'll turn out.

i started mine, and i have the shell together. I added a floor but i need to start on the exteror. i have to get some foam to make the walls rounded on the outside. I think i might use paperclay for the first time with this house. as roofing.

I opened mine and I know what I want to do with it. However, I do not think that I’m going to enter in the contest. I fall in love with a dollhouse unavailable in the US but it can be made bashing the Adams.

ive never done the hbs adams competition where do i enter or find any details on it.

ive orderd my two houses now and im all excited for them getting here

All of the information for Hobby Builders Supply Creatin' Contest #15 is on the miniatures.com website -- HERE

Go for it!

I am making the adams, but not for the contest.

Dena, why not? Steve wasn't going to enter his houseboat, either, but look what happened to him ... a nice prize! :missing:

I've had my adams since it became first avail back in the beginning of the year. So far I've taken it out of the box and taped the walls together. Problem is I everytime I go to work on it I change my mind about something and find that I need to buy something for it. I'm bashing the kit and always seem to need a different piece of wood than I have at home. But anyway I really going to try and get this one done in time. My spring fling is still in the works. I'm the self-proclaimed queen of Procrastonnation (spelling) of the Catskill Mountains... :missing: .

I was going to make two Adams, because I used the one I got for entering last year to rebuild my hacienda. Instead of making another one, I'm thinking I'm just going to enter this one this year. I'm hoping to work on it this afternoon. I kinda stopped when the pieces for the porch weren't in my kit, although Greenleaf was awesome about getting that sheet to me quickly. It's a lazy, quiet day here - perfect for working on minis!