Happy Dance!! Beacon Hill kit arrived!

bookmarm

I'm buying the BH kit from a wonderful forum member and it just arrived! Wow! What a kit!! Got to finish the RGT Lincoln (at least that's my mantra) first, but I'm already fishing for hints/tips/warnings on the many steps through putting together a kit with 37 sheets of plywood. ;) B) I'm cautiously ecstatic and can't wait to start, but wowsers! What a 'Grande Gal' house! I like the idea of the B&B I've seen in the gallery, but I'm open to other suggestions for a theme. The Glencroft has a very woody look since I used pretty scraps of leftover cherry/oak from a friend's cabinetry business inside and a natural landscape out. It has sort of a sea captain feel. The Westville looks very 1940's country house with an Autumn/Halloween look and an artist resident (Granny Moses). The Fairfield doesn't really have a look beyond 'small' but is sort of 'craftsman' era. The Lincoln leans toward elegant and somewhat patriotic with the new historical women as occupants and some yuppie bespaq furniture that Abe and Mary would have been horrified with. I have a goofy tiny plastic Lincoln Log cabin for the attic.

I think the main eyecatcher in the BH is the beautiful stairway. I'd love to use some extra real wood scraps to enhance it even more. I wll save any ideas you have to share!

Go to moreminis.blogspot.com.

Gina has built two Beacon Hills and takes you step by step thru the building of both. She has wonderful tips. I'm working on my Beacon Hill now, just getting started really, But my lower stairs are in, YAY!!! They went together straight and went in the house easily. I was nervous about these stairs but they turned out so beautiful ( stained Mahogony) I left off the stair runner I was going to add. It's a beautiful house so whatever theme you go for will be great. Mine is going to be all victorian. Good Luck and have fun! B)

I had thought about a closet under the stairs, too... or it could be the opening for the cellar. I'm also looking at room dividers and doors that may get changed or moved or left out. I wonder if built in bookshelving would work under those two attic side windows....

I'm always (even in real life) looking for a way to make an artist/library retreat with comfy seating or built in window seats and shelves. The top floor is giving me ideas.

My kit may be a slightly different version because it came with double front doors already. It also has siding, but I usually use siding sheets, so I'll have to look at what they've included.

Congratulations! What wonderful plans and ideas you will get from those who have gone before and built this wondrous house. As you can tell, I'm pea green with envy! I would so love a Beacon Hill - Doug and I would build it together - he says, but I now most of the work would be mine!

Gina, it does look intimidating, but if you have other GLs well under the belt, it's a challenging and fun puzzle. I look at my knitted lace shawl patterns the same way: I'm not interested at all unless there is something new to learn in the course of the project. The BH has plenty of challenges and I can't wait! It's like crawling on the TERROR roller coaster at the State Fair after eating that super large Polish sausage dawg. Hope for the 'best' and don't be surprised with the 'worst'! :jump:

Congratulations! I can hear your excitement! In my opinion the Beacon Hill is the grandest of them all. You will absolutely love this dollhouse. It took me a little over a year to build mine. I was slow at first because all the pieces overwhelmed me so. When I got focused and the walls started going up, there was no stopping me. Take your time and enjoy every moment of the build. I look forward to seeing pictures of your progress. Enjoy! :missing: Oh, I like your idea of doing bookcases below the dormer windows.

Congrats!!! you'll love this house!

I still need to finish my exterior, but not until i can finish it and keep it in a cat free room. they love sleeping on top of the roof and the kitchen extension.