Paperclay stone foundation "painting"

chattycathy66

I've been practicing on paperclay, trying to get the right stone look for my foundation on the conservatory...but I'm just not happy...

Should I paint the whole piece with a light color that I want for the "grout lines", and then use darker and darker colors over...do most people make more of a "color" wash and use a sponge brush, or sponge, rather than a brush, then wipe it off...or just use full strength paint, and wipe off the excess??

I'm kind of clueless...so I was wondering if I could get a few tips...Thanks!

Thanks Tracey!

I knew I had seen that tutorial somewhere...and read it just quickly before, don't know why I didn't think about it...it's great! I think I've just been really really stressed lately (home, work, home etc) and what little creativity I have has been blocked! I don't think I'll quit my day job--it's the one thing I think I do pretty well ;)

I know it goes without saying, but it must take a bit of practice to get it just right?? Or some people are just born with all that talent! B)

I know it goes without saying, but it must take a bit of practice to get it just right?? Or some people are just born with all that talent! B)

I think some people are born with it, but not me. So practice, practice, practice. There's nothing I can buy that gives me the same satisfaction as saying I made this myself!