Too "dark" a theme???

I saw this doll on Ebay and she told me she'd love to live in the Vineyard Cottage, if I ever finish the BH...

When she arrived yesterday, she told me, she thought it should have sort of a "Hansel and Grettel" type theme (without all the candy on the outside--it has it's own lovely "gingerbread!")...and she's the wicked witch who looks like a sweet little ole' lady....lol Think that's too "dark"??? Over time, I'll have be on the lookout for a really big oven :lol:

gallery_1675_1992_1358382.jpg

I think it is creative. Man - I had a larger cast iron oven that I just sold not too long ago. Even had a cast iron cauldron...I need to dig and see what is in my box of things looking for a good home...

Oh good...I suppose as long as there's no "blood and guts"...we're ok,lol. There's not alot of rooms in that house, so I'll have to plan well...

Audra, I like that cast iron caldron idea too :lol: And maybe the little room upstairs will be a lovely little room for the children while they're fattening up,lol.

Oh, Cathy, for heaven's sakes, it's YOUR house and doll and they're telling you what they want, so if you're squeamish with doubt, offer them in the trade section to someone with a stronger constitution!lol As for the details, bash a Primrose onto the side to use for a pantry and you can hang up "fresh cuts" in one section to act as a smokehouse (little arms & shoulders, legs & "hams") and a lovely butcher's chopping block with cleaver with a big basket full of little heads with expressions of total terror on their dead little faces (what a glorious way to learn to sculpt your own dolls from polyclay, and use up the "failures"!). You can outfit the upstairs room as a delightful playroom with all sorts of lovely toys and make bars for the windows (behind dainty lace curtains, of course!) and a barred door out of lengths of coathanger wire with lengths of craft stick for the horizontal parts of the door. Ooo, I LIKE your thinking on this!

I think you have a wonderful idea, but this doll could also be Mrs. Pigglewiggle from the children's book series. Her house would be interesting to do because it is designed with doors and windows upside down, but described beautifully in the books.

Pamela,

I think I have lead a sheltered life...I haven't heard of Miss Pigglewiggle, that I can remember...and I am a big reader...I will have to check her out!

I know, I know Holly...but I guess I still worry about what people might think,lol...I like the excuse...the doll told me to do it...Don't worry, she's telling me I have the constitution to do it...the poor Vineyard cottage isn't sure what she wants to be but she likes the ideas she's hearing!!! I love the little basket of heads!!! I am really going to have to get moving on the BH now!!!!

I am going to do alot of thinking of names...It's going to be something Mrs. _______ --she'll have an accent...she reminds me of my old neigher Scottish Mrs. Stewart who'd offer my mom tea and scones... She's going to be a widow, and live in a coastal tourist town...where children mysteriously disappear...lol No one would suspect little old Mrs. ________

I have a hansel and gretel house. It is half done. I have a lovely old lady who looks nice enough....I have tons of candy for the outside, a basement with a lovely childrens room on one side and a cage on the other (she puts them in the cage when they fall alseep. The upstairs is a lush bedroom and the other room is a potion room (remember the witch was very wealthy) I have aged and darkened the bricks and put in wood floors with a lot of wear. There is a trap door under the stairs. I need to take more recent pictures.

Here is the oven I made.

Oh, Cathy, for heaven's sakes, it's YOUR house and doll and they're telling you what they want, so if you're squeamish with doubt, offer them in the trade section to someone with a stronger constitution!lol As for the details, bash a Primrose onto the side to use for a pantry and you can hang up "fresh cuts" in one section to act as a smokehouse (little arms & shoulders, legs & "hams") and a lovely butcher's chopping block with cleaver with a big basket full of little heads with expressions of total terror on their dead little faces (what a glorious way to learn to sculpt your own dolls from polyclay, and use up the "failures"!). You can outfit the upstairs room as a delightful playroom with all sorts of lovely toys and make bars for the windows (behind dainty lace curtains, of course!) and a barred door out of lengths of coathanger wire with lengths of craft stick for the horizontal parts of the door. Ooo, I LIKE your thinking on this!

Ohhhhh, Holly now you have given me oooooooodles of ideas.... <sigh> I think I need to see what the Haunted House thinks of this idea as I can almost hear her sing upstairs....

And as for Too dark, never!!!! One just has to listen to what the house/tiny person wants and it will go smoooooth!

Hugs

Who would ever suspect that nice old Mrs Sweetbrier of being an evil witch who slaughters, butchers and gobbles up little children naughty enough to come into her beautiful garden to pick her gorgeous flowers? You know, like the four o'clocks with clock-dial centers set at either 0400 or1600; sweet williams with little cherubic boy-faces, that sort of thing...

Ohhhh Holly, you surprise me!! Those ideas of yours, coming from such a sweet lady! :lol: You always said Halloween wasn't your thing, I think it should be after this!

Great idea and beautifully wicked doll, Cathy.

Hallowe'en ISN'T my "thing"!lol Folklore, Brothers Grimm, etc, on the other hand... (BTW those of us who have read Coleen McCullough's "First Man in Rome" series might have gotten far naughtier pleasure out of the other name suggestion than we should!)

Ohhhh Holly, you surprise me!! Those ideas of yours, coming from such a sweet lady!

<cackle> That sounds like what someone once said about Mrs Pollifax........."and she seemed like such a nice little lady". hehehehhee One of the things I like most about Holly is that her mind's eye can see in many, many directions.

Cathy, there's no such thing as too morbid. Miniatures allow us to create any scenario or world that we want. Our only limit is our imagination. I don't think there's anything as too dark. But then again, I built a party boat for the Grim Reaper and one of the skeletons is bbq-ing ribs on the grill. <cackle> I love your idea of a Hansel and Gretlel theme!

Deb

hansel and gretel ?

Didn't she keep them in a cage and they poked a chicken bone out between the bars for her to feel to see if they had put on enough weight to be cooked up......

Could you hang the cage in the middle of the back room, so it looked really scarry.

How about the name butcher or cook in french or german for the witch/nice old lady....

What about her witches clothes hanging up in the wardrobe, with the door open:

Even a witches broom might be enough to give the idea...Also, how do we know she is a witch that flies, she might of lost her licence cause she's too old with the bad eye sight!

In the words of a shoe company, Just do it!

I don't see Lily Sweetbrier as at all aware how truly evil & gruesome she is, she's just a sweet little old lady with a taste for naughty little children who does her own "things", some of them are working magic and some of them are killing and cooking and eating little children, or perhaps making them into meat pies and selling them from her home, "Sweetbrier's Tea Room & Bakery", a la Mrs Lovett, Sweeney Todd's accomplice. I mean, this IS the Vineyard Cottage, after all! HBS carries a wonderful sign kit that you can paint up for Lily:

81540.jpg

Chesterfield, which house will be your Hansel and Gretel? I like your oven..nice stonework :thumbup: Mine won't really be Hansel and Gretel...just the basic idea...sweet little unsuspecting kids and a seeming nice little old lady...who's not so nice....Will we see more pictures of yours??

Liz, I had the idea, like Holly said, of using the upstairs room as a posh little fattening up room...lots of toys and treats etc....with decorative bars on the windows...and a decorative "cell bar " wall...that she can poke them through,lol

Deb, I definately have to check our your party boat for the grim reaper...sounds too cool!

Holly, the honor is yours :) Lily Sweetbrier it is... I'll have to ask Lily, I'm not sure if she's a witch or if her motivation for mischief is self-preservation, like Mrs. Lovett who just needed to make a living to feed herself....but...as a widow, Lily will need an income....and an excuse to fatten up those little children...lol Or does she like to make those little meat pies for her neighbors because she enjoys the praise for her secret recipe???? Let me ask her, she's kind of busy now...

The little sign is perfect though....and you're right, Holly, the Primrose will fit perfectly on the back for a little added space...just need to bash the windows a bit to kind of match the style of the cottage...

I do know I will need to change the floorplan a bit though...that tall side of the Vineyard cottage is kind of wasted space...maybe adding a second floor to that side will leave room for Lily to have a bedroom/sitting area...She will need to create a tonic or spell to "take the voices" of the children to keep them quiet...for surely they will cry when they realize they aren't going home anytime soon...and we don't want the patrons hearing them...

Wow...lots to think about :)

Tell Ms. Lily that the secret is in the sauce when she sells her meat pies.

The BH can and will wait until you've finished with the Vineyard Cottage.

The BH would probably wait to be finished since she's been so patient with me so far...but the tiny inhabitant, London Tipton ( the BH has a theme my daughters picked out--London and Maddie from Disney's The Suite life of Zach and cody will live there--the house a present from her super rich daddy) is already throwing a huge fit that it's taking so long! lol Believe it or not, I usually get more work on minis done in the summer because I have larger blocks of time when I dont' have to go anywhere--like pick up the kids from school, work on homework, stuff like that...