non-mini folk

Audra

I am enjoying reading all these post! First - my main negative non-mini would be the dreaded mother-n-law which, by the way, is the one sitting on her bum eating all day. Yesterday she asked me if I even let my daughter play with it. 'Well, of course I do, but only with the lights off. You see, the electrical system is very delicate....' If I give to much info, she'll just leave my house alone. I would even accept a 'that's cute' instead of the snide remarks. I am also asked if I would sell it, how much money do I have in it, and how many more am I going to do? My people need neighbors don't ya know?

Oh, Lance - if I had seen my husband without a shirt coming towards me, I probably would have crossed the street to avoid him - I did stereo-type him. Skulls, creepy clowns and piercings were not my thing. He may not be into my mini's, but as the risk of making him sound like a pig (there is a little pig in all men) He does tend to arrange my people in various 'gestures'. So, I guess even he plays with dolls. As long as he can have his toys (mountain bikes), I can have mine.

Edited by alpangle

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question I'm most often asked (after "how much do you sell them for?") is -- "What will happen to them when you're gone?" This is usually asked by folks who know we have no children...so no grandchildren...so..

and the problem is, I don't know what will happen to them when I'm gone...and really don't care. That'll be one of those things either my husband or my estate will have to worry about, not me! :thumbup:

What am I going to do with it? What am I going to do with it?? (Incredulous tone here)

Why after I shoo the cats out, I'm going to live in it of course. (totally straight face, no smiling allowed) :thumbup:

They will either look at you like you've slipped a cog or like you know something they just don't get.

Either way it should end the conversation. (Then you laugh to yourself)

Great response. After all, they've already suggested we're kind of mad already ... why not aleviate any doubt in their minds.

-Susanne

I am enjoying reading all these post! First - my main negative non-mini would be the dreaded mother-n-law which, by the way, is the one sitting on her bum eating all day. Yesterday she asked me if I even let my daughter play with it. 'Well, of course I do, but only with the lights off. You see, the electrical system is very delicate....' If I give to much info, she'll just leave my house alone. I would even accept a 'that's cute' instead of the snide remarks. I am also asked if I would sell it, how much money do I have in it, and how many more am I going to do? My people need neighbors don't ya know?

Oh, Lance - if I had seen my husband without a shirt coming towards me, I probably would have crossed the street to avoid him - I did stereo-type him. Skulls, creepy clowns and piercings were not my thing. He may not be into my mini's, but as the risk of making him sound like a pig (there is a little pig in all men) He does tend to arrange my people in various 'gestures'. So, I guess even he plays with dolls. As long as he can have his toys (mountain bikes), I can have mine.

I'd have told your mother in law that "there's only room for one child in this family, and that's me". On your story of your husband, my darling Ray also occasionally "poses" my dollhouse dolls. One of my favourites was I'd had a little toddler sitting in her high chair with a bowl of cereal in front of her. One day, I was looking inside and noticed that she had a slice of dollhouse toast in her hand. It was perfectly posed and he'd affixed the slice of toast with mini-wax. I looked over at him and said "did you put the toast in the toddler's hand". He said that yes he did. He prefers toast to cereal in the morning! What amazed me is that he'd taken the trouble to go through my drawer of mini-food and choose the toast.

-Susanne

Actually one of the couples we hike with cracked me up on our last hike; she's a geologist that works for the State and we were hiking along what appeared to be an erosive bluff and I asked if the soils were sediments, since they sort of looked sedimentary; she took a long squint and said, No, they were loess (windblown) and just that quick her SO's face lit up in the impiest grin I have ever seen on a grown man and he did the Groucho eyebrow wiggle and said, "Did someone say 'lust'?" (our friend said every now & then his 10-year-old comes out to play!)

We get a similar reaction when we have one of the bikes out on the truck, people ask us where we ride and we tell them; it cracks me up to see their faces when the distances suddenly dawn on them!

We need a word for non mini folk, like Muggles for non magical folk. :thumbup: I guess "Bigguns" isn't exactly appropriate. Any ideas?

ROFLMAO!! Bigguns.. that is a good one.

Look them straight in the eye and say with a serious face" When I am finished, I am moving in. Wanna throw me a house warming party?"

I get "Not another house" from my father, who lives with me. I ignore it and say it's my money. He's actually really supportive and loves my furniture and woodworking, but the space that houses take up annoys him. It's a small house and I do have the attention span of a gnat so I currently have five houses is various phases of construction. I love building furniture so I hope to be doing more of that to actually fill all of my neighborhood.

Usually comments I get are about others not having time or money to do dollhouses. One woman asked me in the craft store one day what I did with strip wood and I told her. She was truly interested but also slightly snide about it. She mentioned she never had the money to build one for her daughters when they were little, then how much patience I must have (I laugh because this is farthest from the truth), and that I probably have a lot of free time on my hands. I work three jobs so I do think so, but I make time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Why does it seem like non-mini men are more appreciative than non-mini females? Is it the woodworking? The construction? Boy the looks I get when I tell people I know how to do compound mitering and have my own table saw.

Yeah, I think some women just can't understand having a hobby... if it's not listed on the coverlines of the magazines at the checkout, it's not right... gardening, organizing, decorating, shopping and beauty - all OKAY. Anything else, and it's just plain weird....

My bosses' wife, while waiting for him, asked me about a Halloween costume photo of my DD I have at my desk. I told her that was the year I made her an Invader Zim costume. Suddenly she went from generically inquisitive to haughty snob with "What is THAT?" Like I was talking about the latest plague. But I guarantee their kids drool all over my desk when they see the costumes and toys and whatnot!

Thought I'd join in the conversation for a minute.

The most controversy I have is with my family members and their perception of the $$$'s spent and the "time wasted on it" !!! Those 2 comments really get under my skin.

The $$$'s is out of my own spending money and not the household budget and it's really no one else's business - BUT people sure try to make it their business. I am one of the biggest multi-taskers you will ever find so the "time" comment always bugs me the most.

My daughter appreciates the artistry and creativity in the hobby but that's the only one. One granddaughter says she will keep it all together if I don't finish it before I die. (the original part of mine - the Garf - was my mothers - unfinished) The rest of the grandkids think it's all for play for them ultimately. My DH just ignores it now that we got past the $$$'s issue. My sons and DIL's just sigh and wonder what they will "do" with it after I die.

I don't discuss it much with folks outside the family unless they are at my house and ask something specific. I try to avoid controversy so I've found it's simpler that way. One male that know I do this appreciates it for the craftsmanship because he is a former draftsman and finish carpenter.

Nonminis that have other interesting hobbies can sometimes appreciate us but the "doll" part is, no doubt, what throws the kink in their percpetions.

I'll keep on mini-ing no matter what and they can just go soak their heads or ______ (fill in the blanks).

As for a variation of the theme, one Sunday afternoon I was talking with the neighbor, and I said 'I'm going to go work on my dollhouse'...and he said to me ' Oh, who are you building a dollhouse for?" and I said..." me". He looked at me with a quzzical look; I think he thought I was kidding him. My being a grown woman playing with dollhouses, ( plus the fact that I am a single woman living alone ...eeek!) apparently goes against his cultural beliefs. I'm not insulted; that's just the way he was brought up. But I'm not giving up my dollhouses...or my singleness. lol

Why does it seem like non-mini men are more appreciative than non-mini females? Is it the woodworking? The construction? Boy the looks I get when I tell people I know how to do compound mitering and have my own table saw.

You know, that is funny - If I have time to chit-chat with patients and my work beside medical stuff, I find that the men are more interested. One guy told me that he has an old house in bubble wrap that he built for his daughter years ago - then said that he was certain mine is probably more detailed than what he could do.

When I had a RGT magazine at work drooling over the Queen Anne, my non-mini friend told me that I don't need another one and how much money they are. Who the heck is she to tell me!!?? I just don't mention it anymore unless they ask. Some ask me to send them pictures - which I eagerly do. But, when I am done, I will make a photo album of my work and take them in. They can just bite my booty if they don't like it :wave:

my non-mini friend told me that I don't need another one and how much money they are.
It's interesting how many of these posts use the word "friend" in the same sentence with the subject of money and cost, as if it's anyone's business, least of all a friend's, what you do with your own money. By their very nature hobbies are defined as activities which cost inordinate amounts of money and make absolutely no sense to people who don't share the hobby. If you aren't depriving your family of food, shelter or medical attention, it"s NOBODY's business!

I had to get in on this one! I have vistors (people off the street) come in to my studio from time to time and get lots of different reactions:

My studio is a dh hospital

How much to I sell them for (I have several in my studio and none are for sale they are for me!!)

Silence (when I say I play with them, which is why I dont sell them)

Do I want to buy the one they have in the attic

But many of my visitors are very appreciative of the work "we" all do and ask interesting questions (how long does it take, how do you do _____)

I think dollhouse does suggest less than what it is...which is why more and more I say "miniaturist" and that it is one of the top adult hobbies in the US along with model trains.

Yes, non-miniwomen are more"snotty", about grown women playing with toys than the non-mini men. I have had 300 lbs 6 foot tall men, sit and play my dollhouses, saying how cool they were, as they moved the furniture around. They usually ask if I built it myself, how long it took, etc... The woman however, pretend they don't even see, or ask, and what's this thing for? Why is it on your kitchen table? Don't you have better things to do? A least once I've snarled and said Oh, you mean like entertaining you? I call the nonmini women "the snuffers". Haven't had a man insult my houses yet.