non-mini folk

Audra

Just curious how other mini-folk handle non-mini folk? My favorite comment is: 'what are you going to do with it?' with the look of disgust on their face. Puh-lease! At least I am not sitting on my rump eating chocolate all day! :lol:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite comment is: 'what are you going to do with it?' with the look of disgust on their face.
At last! A TRULY stupid question! When someone asks me that I tell them straight up that I'm going to play with it until someone offers me enough money to buy it; and since I build primarily for ME, it's an adult collector's item dollhouse, NOT a child's toy dollhouse, which I build quite differently. As for the disgusted looks, DH tells me the one I have when I say this conveys total contempt!lol

Haven't really had any not nice comments, but not a whole lot of people know I do building... Thought I might have to sell one of them, but even my dad said 'try to keep hold of it, it is a good piece of work for the future'. Him saying that (and not wanting to go through the hassle of selling it) means it is still in the corner!

There's a thread on rudest comments people have had, if you want to have a look.

I have taken Holly's policy to heart, and will always say 'i'm going to play with it!'

I fhink the comment that really frustrates me is "Isn't that cute?" Everything I do in miniature is not cute!

When someone has researched, scaled, developed, aged and created a piece that has taken an enormous amount of time and patience, the last thing you really want to talk about is cute!

:lol:

Well, yes, Pam, but sometimes after I make something like that and step away from it and come back a minute later to look at it I've caught myself thinking, Gee that turned out cute!

Just casually toss out the comment that since you have as much invested in it as a limoges piece, you are going to display it with pride in the front window.

Or say it isn't as useless as _______ (the dress they just bought, fancy dinner they went to, whatever) because you can look at it and enjoy it everyday.

Actually, I do sit around and eat chocolates all day....in between priming and painting and cutting and sanding and... :lol:

I just smile pleasantly and tell them I've regressed and am reliving my childhood. They usually turn away puzzled.

When they ask what I am going to do with it, I usually just give them a wicked grin and say "Wouldn't you like to know?". :lol: As for the "Cute" remark, that is the same in all fields of art. I just figure that if someone says"Isn't that Cute?" they are just showing their lack of knowledge about the subject. Just ignore the ignorant. :)

If someone wants to compliment anything I make as being cute, I will accept that. Little things always evoke the word "cute". I use it often myself and it's always meant as a term of appreciation for all the work and effort that went into it.

When someone asks me "what are you going to do with that?" I always say, "I'm going to play with it." I'm not one who really cares what others think, so that doesn't bother me. The ones who know me, would never ask such an idiotic question.

Yep, yep a subject after my own heart...

I emailed the pics of the finished Gypsy Wagon to both my mom and dad (divorced for many moons now) and mom just loved it and keeps comenting on all the little tiny things in there, and avoided asking me if I was going to sell it but, my dad...Now my dad has been a prof. artist his entire adult life and once again, what does he say? "You should sell it on ebay" *sigh*

Not "wow, what a project", or "isn't that fab!", nope. :lol:

I really should know better by now that not everyone understands the time and love that goes into one of these houses, and just use a good Holly statement everytime I get that detached little comment.

You are not alone...I think we all get it from the non-mini folk.

Hugs,

Monica

Just tell them "If I told you I'd have to kill you". :)

-Susanne

Oh, that's wicked! I like it!! I LIKE it!!!! heheheheheheehee

I've never had anyone ask me what I'm going to do with a house or even if I play with them (and I do). I think by the time they get to the point of asking questions, I've already overwhelmed them with my enthusiasm about building. Besides, I'm really good at making annoying people go away and leave me alone, so anyone that would ask that kind of question doesn't get the chance. :lol:

Deb

When someome asks about the money I spend I comment that it's the packet of smokes I don't buy,the 700.00 dress I do not wear.....The full sized lounge suite I love, so I find the same one in mini......

If they don't like it tough luck, it's my hobby and that's that!

I do not have to talk about it (so maybe I donot talk at all in company some thimes). But I find people who do not get it, usally have very small minds and have nothing better to do that talk about other people and the soaps they are watching, their homes might be tidy, but they do not have a creative bone in their bodies....(Some times I'm nasty I need to bite my tounge, but this is how I feel about the hobby). Enjoy it, as any one who has nothing nice to say just does not have a life....

What am I going to do with it? What am I going to do with it?? (Incredulous tone here)

Why after I shoo the cats out, I'm going to live in it of course. (totally straight face, no smiling allowed) :lol:

They will either look at you like you've slipped a cog or like you know something they just don't get.

Either way it should end the conversation. (Then you laugh to yourself)

I have found some people are intrigued, and some think I'm nuts. I do omit the fact that the houses "talk" to me or they would think I'm even loonier than I really am. :) The only "stupid" questions I have been asked are "Are you going to sell it?" No way! and "Who are you going to give it to?" ME!!! I'm only on my first house, but knowing how much goes into them, I could never give them away or sell them, unless I go into a project just for that reason. I would love to do that someday(donate), but I'm not skilled enough yet to do that.

Susanne, I have to say I like your answer the best. I might have to use that one! :lol:

Interestingly enough, the comment I get most when I mention I build is usually along the lines of "Whoa, those are a LOT of work.". Second is probably "Who ya building it for?" which I think is a perfectly legitimate question to ask of a 30 year old, pierced, and heavily tattooed guy who mentions he builds dollhouses.

Almost universally, the people I mention it to are far more intrigued and curious than anything else. I'm surprised that most people I've come across seem to have a general idea of the time and effort that goes into them. I'm also surprised that a lot of guys seem more interested in it than some of the women I know. Maybe it's because I've done some work in the building trades and a lot of men I know are carpenters, electricians, and the like. They're usually interested in pretty much anything involving wood and tools. I work in my garage so anyone coming to the house has to go by my work area to get into the house. Men usually linger the longest looking things over and asking a million questions.

As regards negative comments, I don't think the word 'dollhouse' helps in that regard. It has an intrinsic 'play-thing' connotation to it. It makes me think of another hobby which is very similar to dh building and one that I have some experience in. Years ago it was called "toy trains". Then somewhere along the line it became "model railroading". I don't know anyone who doesn't view model railroading as a completely respectable adult hobby but I do know toy trains were seen as something pretty much for children. I think the name change of the hobby has dramatically changed the way in which people in general view it. That being said I still call 'em dollhouses and probably always will. I really don't care what other people think. "To thine own self be true".

Edited by texandziggy

Ah, Lance! The dichotomy between men & women is demonstrated once more, but that's OK, it simply illustrates the issue. I would get a LOT different reaction if I were a big, hairy guy with tats & holes, too; and probably a lot different reaction when I tell people I play with my houses. BTW, do any of our Barbie & BJD collectors get the rude questions/ comments & funny looks?

When someome asks about the money I spend
Now that's such an incredibly crass and personal question I'm afraid I would pop off with something equally rude & invasive!

Holly, I will have you know that I am 6'0'' tall, only 140 pounds soaking wet, and very far from hairy. LOL.

I do see your point though. Perhaps the reaction I get is different but I think it has little to do with my appearence. Compared to some other parts of this country, Vermont is VERY progressive. Even in the more back-water sections of the state tattoos and piercings are quite accepted - much more so than other parts of the country I've lived. And most people who know me know I wouldn't like to kill a mosquito that's biting me. Trust me, I'm quite non-intimidating.

I think it does have a lot to do with being male. Men are allowed their toys. Whether it be a boat or a Porsche or model railroad or a woodworking shop in the basement, men can play with toys and it's ok. Perhaps it's because women realize (and most men will secretly admit) that men never really mature past the age of 14 or so. I know I certainly haven't and have no plans to do so. (Maybe that's why I have 2 ex-wives LOL).

However if a woman has the same toys and plays with them, it IS seen much differently. Your implication that that isn't fair is absolutely true. It isn't.

Edited by texandziggy

{BIG HUG}, Lance! Most guys I've met with tattoos & piercings are teddy bears. IF I were you, however I would be BIG (side-to-side) and hairy, etc, just because... But people do have a misconception of "dollhouse" (they sure started out as adults' toys; Marie Antoinette had a FABULOUS dollhouse & dolls!).

As for a term for non-mini folk who have a pi**y attitude, "useless" comes to mind.

when i first got into dollhouses, strangers who came to my home would say, "oh, isn't that sweet! you have a daughter?"

no.

now, twenty years later, they say, "you have granddaughters?"

no.

thank God for this forum!

Yes, maybe it's a thing where men are allowed there toys. That makes sense... when a guy says he works with dollhouses, you imagine him carpenting, electrifying, designing. When a woman says she works with dollhouses, you imagine decorating and painting and wonder why she wouldn't just decorate her own house. Not thinking about the fact that she's also building and constructing, and whatnot.

But gender aside, it's a form of art... I prefer to work in 3D art so this just works for me. I also love working in costuming and baking - those are less likely to get questions though. :lol: