Beacon Hill comes tomorrow

Just One More

Just checked and UPS will be here tomorrow. There are so many decisions, siding, stucco, additions etc. Is it easier to do the siding before assembly? Fitting around windows would be easier and weighting would be easier if pieces were flat, but don't know if that's a good idea. Would windows fit over the siding? Also the tabs and slots would have to be free. Haven't decided on a color or anything. If the floor graining is nice I'll just stain them. I've been lucky in this department with my other houses. I don't think the stairs will be much different than the Pierce. I want to really take my time with this house. I'll take lots of pics to share. :groucho:

Yeah Pat! The Beacon Hill is such a beautiful house. I'll bet you can hardly wait for it to arrive.

I've never done siding before building. I would be afraid it would get in the way. I think it would be better to build and side later, but maybe someone else has done it the other way.

You can do the windos whichever way you prefer. I like to put in my windows and then add the siding around them, but others like to side and then do windows. I'm not helping, am I? There are so many ways to do things you have to just decide which way seems best for you and go for it!

Can't wait to see pictures when you get started.

I love the Beacon Hill and would someday like to build it. But since I have been working on my Willowcrest for more than 2 years, I don't think I will hold my breath for it. Looking forward to seeing lots of pics as you go.

Pat, I lay the door and window trims onto the exterior walls over the openings and trace around them, and then butt the siding up to the lines I've drawn, and then install the windows last. I do side AFTER the rest of the build, and when I can't lay it flat with weights I use masking tape, scrapwood & clamps.

I'm in the process of siding a house now and I"m applying the siding around the trim, using the tracing method that Holly mentioned. When I dry fitted the siding and trim, I found it was too thick to put the siding under the trim.

The Beacon Hill is a real BEAUTY! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

The thrill of getting a Beacon Hill is unmatched. It reminds me of when I was waiting for mines. Your going to love that box. I left the box unopened on the dining room tables for a while just to admire it before I began....lol

Lucky Duck you! I love the Beacon Hill too - ever since I saw some of the gorgeous ones here. Doug wants one too! But the deal is I would have to build it, and decorate it, and he would just look at it.

It's here. I just opened the box and checked out all the pieces and sorted out what I'll need first. Everything is in good condition. I usually stain the floors first and the graining is nice on all three floors. I got all the stair pieces sorted out and like the Pierce, they will take awhile to figure out. I'm just going to take my time on this one. There are so many beautiful ones in the gallery and it will help in construction to have all those pictures. I haven't really checked it all out but it says they changed the mansard roof pieces. They are thin wood like veneer with cardboard backing. Don't know if this is really new or not but it will make it much easier to bend without breaking. I won't be ready for those pieces for some time. I've wanted to do this house for so long but am glad I waited because it would have been a little much for me if I hadn't done the others first. I'd like to add on and make a bigger kitchen so I'll be working on this a long time. :)

If your Becon Hill comes tomorrow, I suggest you get the XANAX today.

I am currently working on the becon hill and hit lots and lots of road blocks. Not enough Pictures to guide you through the process......they leave out a whole lot. thank god for this forum and all the others who have built and taken pictures while they built because it really helps. people here are just wonderful.

I should mention, however, that I am a neophyte dollhouse junkie, so the experienced builder probably looks at this blog and laughs. But, if you are a newbie of sorts, just email me and I will be happy to suffer along with you on this process. thanks mary ann :) B)

Oh Yea, forgot to add. I want to add a kitchen addition as well. Becon hill kitchen is VERY small. I have a great kitchen set that I want to use but this kitchen is too small. thank GOD for saws and dremmels.........and of course room boxes and imaginations.

If you have any great ideas, let me know. Most likely, I will use a room box as a general structure to add on or another small, inexpensive house, or may just extend free hand. we will see.......If I could just finnish with these steps, life would be good. mary ann

If your Becon Hill comes tomorrow, I suggest you get the XANAX today.

I am currently working on the becon hill and hit lots and lots of road blocks. Not enough Pictures to guide you through the process......they leave out a whole lot. thank god for this forum and all the others who have built and taken pictures while they built because it really helps. people here are just wonderful.

I should mention, however, that I am a neophyte dollhouse junkie, so the experienced builder probably looks at this blog and laughs. But, if you are a newbie of sorts, just email me and I will be happy to suffer along with you on this process. thanks mary ann :) B)

I noticed right away the instructions even for the stairs are not for a novice. Some of the pics in the gallery are a great help for figuring things out. There are a lot of walls and once the shell is together it shoildn't be too hard. I just stained the floors and they look nice. I use water base everything and will put the varnish on tomorrow. Its easier when you don't have to worry about paint or glue sticking to the floors and with varnish on, even water base, spots wipe right up. I usually put a final coat of varnish afer I wallpaper. Everyone does things differenntly and it's usually just what works best for you. After making I would guess 20 houses, you know what works. I've only wired one house years ago and never tried it again. The lights look great until you get a short and can't find it. Wiring can cost as much as the whole house kit. I also prefer to get my own siding from HBS if I decide to use it. I'm going to get the stairs all sanded, stained and ready before I do much else. I have to read over the instructions a few more times and I'll be ready to go. With the bay in the kitchen it would have to be moved and refit onto an addition unless you decided to not have the bay and just make the room a little bigger somehow. hese houses look so nice when finished it's worth all the work.

Oh Yea, forgot to add. I want to add a kitchen addition as well. Becon hill kitchen is VERY small. I have a great kitchen set that I want to use but this kitchen is too small. thank GOD for saws and dremmels.........and of course room boxes and imaginations.

If you have any great ideas, let me know. Most likely, I will use a room box as a general structure to add on or another small, inexpensive house, or may just extend free hand. we will see.......If I could just finnish with these steps, life would be good. mary ann

The Primrose seems like it would bash quite nicely.

I have a Primrose in the box and was wondering if it would fit and move the bay onto the primrose. The roof could be changed if the gable area didn't work out.

ilovecats bashed a primrose onto her beacon hill. She blogged it. You should go have a look.