Opportunity, to take or not......????

I have the oportunity to purchase another house. (I'm currently building the Pierce, about half way done and has been a lot of fun; I'm new to this whole hobby and seriously addicted already.) Need some advice on this one. I don't think this is a "Greenleaf" house, I'm pretty sure it's a Dura Craft, called the "San Franciscan" model SF 550. I was told it was purchased in the 1980's, never opened, complete kit. Has anyone built this particular house? and if so, is it worth the purchase or should I save my money and buy a bigger kit for my next house? (Oh how I love those big ones! lol) I was concerned because from what pictures I've been able to find of this house, it looks to be a bit small on the inside. Let me know your thoughts.

The SF550 was, I think, the first version of the San Franciscan that Dure-Craft released. My very first kit build was the SF555. As you look through the posts under "Dura-Craft you will find links to pictures and names of builders whom you can PM with questions.

As for whether it's worth the purchase, without knowing your tastes, desires or budget, or the asking price, who knows? As for the room sizes, you can omit the stairs or bash it to have bigger rooms.

It is a nice house that does not take up much floor space. I added a cellar to make a kitchen and wine cellar in the one I built years ago. The rooms are narrow but long. There is not much room for furniture, unless you favor diminutive french pieces, but it is a great house for moldings, wallpaper and drapes. The one I built belongs to my sister. The back closes, it has windows all around though, so you can peek into the windows to view the rooms. The out side of this house can be trimmed and painted up like an SF painted lady, which is how this one was painted. My sister is not a collector but likes to decorate to outside for different holidays and events. I have another one here, some day I plan to make it into an art gallery with living quarters up stairs.

I'm a huge fan of the San Fran- Hey that rhymes! ;) I love the look of the painted lady row house and I'm adding on to mine. They aren't making them anymore so I am trying to snap up the Dura-Craft houses as I find them. I would say go for it. The 550 isn't as nice as the 557 IMO, but you can make it beautiful by customizing the trim and making it your own. On the other hand, I believe the 550 is all wood as opposed to MDF, so it's easier to build and bash. Good luck whatever you decide!

I have always loved that house. I say get it if you can. It's a Gorgeous house. Duracraft houses are a little more difficult to build but they do turn out well. You may want to ask someone to tell you room sizes (Go to the different members pictures) and then decide if it fits the size you want. I always tell people not to buy furniture until the house is completed. That way you won't be disappointed.

Let us know what you decide to do ;)

Thank you guys so much for all your advice. After telling myself "you don't need another house already, your busy and don't have time for another one, where the heck are you going to put it?!, You haven't even finished the one you already have! ................." I've decided to just go for it. I'll get to it eventually, yeah, that's what I'll tell my husband, he'll believe me. (not! lol) Thanks again everyone!

That's great, Holly! You have to know that most of us her would always say, "Yes, get it!" As long as it speaks to you you should go for it. It's those houses that just don't say anything to us, don't spark our creativity that are better left to others who will love them. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your San Fran!