Lost and Found

Deb

The past week has been a wild ride for us. Bruce lost his job last week after almost 10 years with the company. That's hit us pretty hard and we're scrambling to pick up the pieces. They had brought in a new VP team over this region a couple of months ago and in the past month, they've fired three directors, two managers and six supervisors. Since all of them were pushing the 10 year mark with the company and all were between the ages of 40-50, I think that's a pretty good indicator of their motivation.

Bruce has been online day and night submitting his resume to every website and company he can find. We're okay for a couple of months, but after that, we'll need to figure out how to shrink ourselves to live in one of my dollhouses. <wry grin> I have faith in him tho and all the hard work he's putting into finding a new job. He has an interview today for an armed security guard position.......not his normal field, but if they offer, he'll take it till he can find something else.

One of the hardest things is losing the medical insurance. It's gone after the end of this month. And I just found a good doctor!! I saw the rhuematologist yesterday and she actually diagnosed what's wrong!!! After all these months, finally someone said "I have a diagnosis." She did a full exam, they ran xrays right there in the office and she came back with an answer right away! No waiting for test results or anything!!! I *KNEW* I could trust a Texan!!

Actually, there are three diagnosis on top of the Graves Disease. I have osteoarthritis throughout my body. Primarily it's in my spine, hands, arms, shoulders and hips. That's what's causing the degenerative disc disease in my back. I also have bone spurs in my hands. There are spurs on each joint of the fingers, knuckles, and base of my thumb on my right hand and on the left, there are spurs in all the knuckles, the thumb and the joints of three fingers. I've got some carpal tunnel too, but it's fairly mild and she's hoping that the meds for the OA will help with that. It sure explains why my hands have been so painful. She's giving me NSAIDs for the inflammation and I have to sleep with hand splints. (Peggi, you were right about those!)

The third diagnosis is advanced firbromialgia. Heidi, I know that's not a surprise to you coz you'd already identified that we share a lot of symptoms. She was going thru the pressure points for diagnosing fibro and when she hit the one on my right hip, I yelped like a puppy! Scared the hell out of me coz I never make "pain noises"! Anyway, she's put me on sinequan with hydro-something-or-other to help with the fibro. I almost hugged her at the end of the appointment for finding the answers that 5 other doctors couldn't find. She did some blood tests too to check for other a-i problems but I think she's got the main issues figured out.

I'm not giving up hope. The dr said it's too soon to talk about the future and how much mobility I'll have in my hands (ie: can I mini again?), but I'm keeping my mind set on how much they can heal and that I'll have the use of them again.

So, that's where we're at now. We know what's wrong with me and the dr said it'll take about three months before I really start to see a difference so I don't have to go back before then. Hopefully, by that time, Bruce will have been at a new job long enough for the insurance to have kicked in. Any prayers, candles, or positive thoughts y'all could send our way for job finding would be greatly appreciated. We're coping and I know it's all going to be okay. Compared to what other people are going thru, this is pretty mild stuff and I know we'll be okay, but it's an emotional time of upheaval and uncertainty. Life is a roller coaster, huh.

Deb

I already talked to you about stuff on PM so I wont repeat myself again..hehehe

I am so glad you have a diagnosis. Welcome to the club my dear! Fibro for some is not a life sentence. When you feel better (with the osteo and the spurs...ouch) you can start to do pilates and it will help relieve some of your FM symptoms. If the FM meds do not work, you can ask her about something I take for the pain.. It is called Cymbalta. It is an antidepressant but it helps with the pain symptoms of FM..(my therapist has FM). There are also a ton of other things you can try but I will not avalanche you with all that now.

Here is a site you can browse thru when you have the time...Fibromyalgiasupport.com.

A friend of mine had bone spurs in her feet. She was in immense pain but the can treat it. I will be praying that Bruce finds another position that has insurance so you can be on the road to recovery.

Some may say it is weird to be happy..but I am very happy for you! You know what it is. Now you can conquer it!

Deb, what an awful thing to have happen. I wonder if it's not the same as when my hubby lost his job 11 years ago. I'd just been through my cancer treatment...surgery, radiation, reconstructive surgery. They let him go citing that his "mind wasn't on his work". Well, duh! I think he was a little worried about me at that time! We think it had more to do with the company trying to pare down their medical insurance costs and since I was causing a "drain" on their medical funds, out he went. We were pretty bummed about it at the time, but now he's got a much better job, with a more stable company.

I'll keep you on my prayer list.

{{{hugs}}}

I am so glad that they finally figued it out. I also take Cymbalta and have less trouble with my arthritic knees. Hopefully you can feel better with the meds she gave you and not have to try others. Like I said though I am so happy for you, having an answer really goes far with dealing with an illness. Less stress. ect.

I also want to keep you and your husband in my thoughts and prayers for a new job. One that he will love and pay the bills.

If we all get together and keep you both wrapped in possitive thought and prayers you should have a new life soon. (less Turmoil)

I'm so sorry about your husband's job loss! I can't offer any ideas there...but with regard to your medical care --

do tell your new good doctor about the situation! They're often willing to set aside some of the costs, or maybe delay you having to worry about paying for it, until your financial situation gets back under control (husband gets a good job!). And many of the drug companies these days offer help to folks without health insurance.

You should also look into COBRA coverage -- it can be expensive, but with you having "pre-existing health conditions", probably essential to assure you will be covered when your husband gets a job again. Here's the official government web site that describes it:

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/health-plans/cobra.htm

You'll note there is only a brief window of opportunity where you can sign up , so you'd need to decide about it soon! And don't forget to check with your state -- some states have medical insurance available too, sometimes as a "bridge" between employment, other times a stand-alone sort of policy.

I hope all this works out for you, and quickly! Take care!

Sweetie, on one hand I am happy that you finally got to see a a doctor who actually acted like one and found out what might cause the pains you have been dealing with and I do send allllll the positive energy, thoughts and prayers that I possibly can your way and on the other hand I am so sorry for Bruce loosing his job like that. Hopefully (and I do think so ) that will get solved quickly though. Keeping all fingers crossed (hence that is to blame for all possible typos :banana: ) that you do start feeling some improvment real soon and also that Bruce finds a new job real quick!

You just take it easy and take real good care of yourself and mini through the eyes so to speak, we can all take it upon us to help you with providing lots of eye candy to gawk over :birthday:

Gentle but bear (((((((hugs))))))

Sorry to hear about your DH's job--that's terrible! (My brother lost his job with his company of 16yrs a few months back--went bankrupt) I wish him the best of luck!

Glad that you've finally got a diagnosis and you can finally get working on making things better :banana:

take care !

Hi Deb! So sorry about the loss of hub's job! That's the pits - especially now when you need the insurance so much! I am so happy however about the fact that finally you got yourself a doctor who has told you excactly what is wrong. She is a keeper! Work with her and you will probably be feeling more comfortable soon so that you can resume your life! Good luck! Will keep prayers and good thoughts coming your way regarding the work situation as well as your healing situation!

Keep your chin up and know we are all praying for you!

Deb, that's great news about your doctor. It certainly helps when you find one who will listening. I am sorry to hear about hubby's job. I have heard of a few other people losing theirs in about the same manner. Hold tight to your faith. Sending warmest hugs your way. :banana:

I'm sorry to hear of all this upset in your life when you need it the least, Deb. Keep positive thoughts and hopefully the meds will get you back to feeling much better and DH gets a job. I'll be praying for good news for both of you.

You guys don't know how much it means to me to have such wonderful friends and support. I know that we'll make it thru this (we've both lived dirt-poor before so we know how to economize when we need to), it's just been such an emotional time.

I think I can only say this here where people will understand........but what I want most is to know that someday I'll be able to mini again. You guys here are the only ones who understand what a hole that is causing in my life and how very, very, very much I miss it. I'm keeping my mind as positive as I can that with meds and learning the techniques of managing these problems, I'll be able to create again soon.

Deb

Deb so sorry to hear about Bruce loosing his job. Sounds like he is full steam ahead to find another one. Hope it works out for you both. That's great that you finally found a doctor who has given you a diagnosis. Hopefully you'll be able to continue with her. Good luck and hope you feel better real soon.

Deb: You know I'm pulling for you both to come through all these trials in much better health and financial shape. I know that this latest turn of events has thrown you for a loop but as you say, you know how to economize and are willing to work any job until a better one comes along.

You will mini again, you may not be able to build a house a week, like before, but I have no doubt that within 6 months, you will be feeling so much better that your creative nature will figure out a way to work around any problems remaining.

Hang in there and know you have all the positive energy, well wishes and prayers coming your way.

Sweetie, I'll second what Peggi says, and I KNOW you'll mini again, DH's mother has crippling OA in her hands & fingers since her 40s and she began studying the organ a few years ago and she plays concerts where she lives now. There are a lot of lovely anti-inflammatory & other pain-controlling meds and treatments to 'suage the discomfort and lubricate the joints.

As Tracy says, "by the inch it's a cinch"; and we're all praying and cheering for you. And with a wonderful man like Bruce you're an unstoppable team.

Deb I'm so sorry to hear about Bruce and I know that the two of you will get through this. As for you I'm happy that you found a doctor that was able to figure out what was wrong. I agree with the others I know you will mini again. My dad has very servre rheumatoid arthritis, he has had it for almost 25 years if not longer. When it first hit him he couldn't even get out of bed. But with all the new meds that are out there, I know you will be back to your old self again.

Sending big hugs and positive thoughts to you and Bruce.

Deb, so sorry to hear about your husbands job. hope he finds something quickly.

Glad you were able to find a doctor who was able to diagnose your problems. Hope your treatment goes well.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Deb, I am so sorry to hear about Bruce's job! I really hope he finds a job that he will enjoy until HE is ready to quit it! I am so happy about the new doctor you have. It has given me hope!! I am keeping you close to my heart & mind my dear friend! :p