Stickin' It

Question for you experts:

What do you use to stick down decorative items and small pieces of furniture so they don't move if jostled?

I am almost finished the exterior of the Arthur, :banana: and will be starting the interior soon with items I have collected during the construction. I don't want to use any thing permanent, in case I want to rearrange, or anything that might stain the furniture or floors.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Tacky Wax!! It is sold through Hobby Lobby and Crafts, Etc. online. There are probabley other places that sell it, but these are the two I know of. It works really good and doesn't mess up the surface you are stickin' it it!

a little red round tub of wax called mini-hold. available in the hobby builders supply catalog (or online) for $3 bucks. i just pulled a picture off a wall (red flocked wallpaper, no less!) which was stuck there in 1992. it came off cleanly, no stain, and i scratched the wax residue off the back of my picture with a fingernail.

Wally World sells a white poster putty in their stationery section that I use, pinching off minute bits to use. It works similarly to Blue-Tak at a fraction of the cost! I used it to hold the trims, etc, on the Bare Nekkid Maggie while I built & blogged her & before taking it all off to bash I decorate her.

I love the white tack in the stationary section of Walmart, but I can't find it anymore. My store only sells Blue-Tak anymore. I like the white stuff better for even hanging non-mini stuff because you get a blue residue sometimes.

I use the wax in the yellow tub, I can't remember the name now, it might be the mini hold.

In my sweet shop, I was using the wax, but switched to ordinary glue sticks because they were less bulky. I wouldn't recommend them for sticking other things, but to stick jars to painted shelves and counters it works really well and is removable. You can lift the jars off easily, and water removes any residue.

Just to avoid confusion, the ONLY thing I stick using the gluesticks is glass to painted shelves and countertops, I don't use it to stick anything else that either requires strength or is removable.

Speaking of Walmart, ours is getting worse in every department. We are getting more and more food, and less and less of everything else. In Ellsworth, (our closest large town), there are no other department stores except Walmart and no office supply places. We have no choice but to shop there. We have two very large grocery stores, Hannaford and Shaws, but Walmart insists on getting more groceries and less of the things we have no place else to buy them at.

I refuse to buy any food items at Walmart, and always hope others do the same. Our grocery stores go out of the way to stock what we want and need, and I don't want to hurt them by buying at Walmart, and I don't want to encourage Walmart to keep reducing the things we need to buy there, in order to add more groceries.

Off my soapbox now.

The way the VERY snippy little stock clerk at the Super Wally World in a town I shall not name, but far from us, informed me that Wal Mart would continue to carry their crafts and fabrics, but only in the stores that sold a certain percentage of their gross profits in those areas, and only in BIG market areas (such as theirs). IMO this is in keeping with the rest of their slash&burn methods of marketing, wiping out ALL competition and then removing the items their corporate HQs deem "unprofitable", regardless of what the local markets NEED.

Isn't there a glue similar to what they use on Post-Its?

I'm going to have to get some of the mini wax someday.

I live in an area where we have a good number of Super-Walmarts in a 20 mile radius. The newest one is at the foot of the mountains and not doing well at all. They overbuilt for the amount of people they draw in. They have no craft department and it's so huge and mostly food. I dislike it. The older smaller Walmart the big one replaced had a nice big craft department. I feel bad for the mountain residents because their local JoAnns went out of business and there are no other craft stores in their area. I've been trying to buy less and less from Walmart, but like others have said, they've driven out all the competition.