Paper Clay

miss_maya

I keep hearing, and seeing, referrence to using paper clay on the houses. I think it would be an interesting thing to try one day, as I've always loved to make a little stone cottage.

The confusion lies in that I do Pottery and Ceramics, so Paper Clay used by potter's is what I'm thinking of; but that has to be fired in a kiln, so I KNOW that's not what everyone is talking about, lol.

What is paper clay? Is it something you buy or make?

Paper Clay is actually paper but it feels like clay. You can sculpt and mold it just like regular clay. It air dries so it is really easy to use. You can get it at Michaels or JoAnn in the same aisle as the sculpey type clay. I used some to make the brick porch on my Storybook Cottage.

I just used it for a fireplace - the only issue you sometimes run into is that when it dries it can pull away from some surfaces. But you can easily go in and fill those with more paperplay later. I prefer polymer clay, but I use paperclay when I need to mold the clay directly to a wooden wa, which obviously can't be placed in the oven.

My favorite gallery example of paperclay is Jackie's fairie tree house here

She built a tree around the wooden frame of the heart arbor for last year's Spring Fling contest.

Ok, thanks guys! I knew it had to be something like that, I but I was still curious. I'll need to keep my eye out for it, as air drying would be something needed when buliding directly in contact with something flammable.