Knitting or crocheting

sommerstern7

After knitting the mini blanket, I am on a tear. I am now knitting an off white cable afghan. I may even attempt fringe.

And using some heavy crochet cotton that I use for making the wicker chairs, I am knitting a "jute" welcome mat. Using the 00 needles and the dark tan heavy cotton in a straight knit pattern looks really realistic. I may even paint "welcome" on it and put it on the Arthur front porch.

post-2940-1211440399_thumb.jpg

I use to be able to knit and crochet, but with carpal tunnel and other problems with my hands, I don't do much of either anymore. The last item I tried to crochet was for my DGS and my hands hurt so bad that I couldn't finish it. But recently I bought some cotton thread and have found my small crochet hooks and will try to make a mini rug.

I crochet faster than I knit. If I ever get the tension right on the cast on stitches I'm good to go.

Peggi, next time I see you, let me show you how to cast on a knitted first row with two needles, this is especially useful in mini knitting because I don't go dropping as many stitches when I cast on this way.

Peggi, next time I see you, let me show you how to cast on a knitted first row with two needles, this is especially useful in mini knitting because I don't go dropping as many stitches when I cast on this way.

Would love for you to show me. I learn knitting from a book and the only other person I ever saw knit was a friend from England who had been doing it since she was a child and a lefty on top of that and I could not keep up with her. LOL Plus, she was able to get the most beautiful yarns, that was not available here. Light enough to make summer type shells. Only in recent years have I seen something other than the heavy worsted weight or baby yarn become available around here.

If you want to knit with laceweight yarns in something soft and drapier than cotton, go to the www.knitpicks.com website. They have VERY good prices on lovely alpaca and silk blend yarns. As a lace knitter, most of the choices I have of this weight in local stores cost twice+ as much. The website also carries double pt wooden sock needles in tiny sizes that are lighter to use for small item knitting.

I've done both but I think I prefer knitting. Once I get a pattern going I can be knitting and watching (well actually listening) to tv and just glancing at the pattern once in a while. Since I have a hard time just sitting watching, its good to keep my fingers moving. I knit mostly baby items these days, some to sell at craft sales and some to keep and give away. I love English wool (yarn) I find its much softer and last time I was there I ended up buying about $80 worth and although it didnt weigh a great deal it did take up a huge amount of room in the suitcase! And they have some beatiful baby patterns too. i've tried mini-knitting and have the needles and so on, but I got somewhat frustrated last time I tried it, but plan on giving it another go at some point.

I want to get into miniature knitting, if I can ever find any needles below a size 2. I guess I'll have to break down and buy them online.

I've found it impossible to find true miniature knitting needles, and have ordered all mine online. Fortunately the vendors I have dealt with are honest and provide excellent service.

For me the preference is KNITTING! I am wild about miniature knitting. Check out my gallery pics. I am a lefty, but taught myself to knit right handed from a book. My righty grandma insisted that I learn to do it left handed, and I just couldn't get the hang of doing it that way, LOL!

I would love to learn crochet. Guess I'll have to buy another book :)

Jeri, check the crochet magazines on the newsstands (& at the library); Magic Crochet used to have a page showing the basics of chaining & stitches, and their pattern charts were SO much easier to read than the printed instructions for the patterns. I haven't seen that one on the stands in a few years, does Larry Flynt no longer publish it? (Yes, my innocents, THE Larry Flynt! and some of the most elegant crochet patterns & dsigns you can imagine!)

Jeri, check the crochet magazines on the newsstands (& at the library); Magic Crochet used to have a page showing the basics of chaining & stitches, and their pattern charts were SO much easier to read than the printed instructions for the patterns. I haven't seen that one on the stands in a few years, does Larry Flynt no longer publish it? (Yes, my innocents, THE Larry Flynt! and some of the most elegant crochet patterns & dsigns you can imagine!)

LOL, one would think that if Larry Flint published a crochet magazine, it would be called "Risque Crochet"!