Knitting or crocheting

sommerstern7

I prefer knitting. Could never get the hang of crocheting. My Mom always knit so I picked it up from her. She didn't crochet either so I guess it runs in the family. When I was younger and learning to ski (the hill had a tow rope) she was knitting me a pair of 4 needle mittens a week until they broke down and got me leather mittens. The tow rope used to go through the knitted mittens in one afternoon.

When my daughters were little, I knit them all sorts of vests with animal faces on the front and their rears on the back. People loved them. Then they got older and didn't want homemade stuff anymore as it didn't have a "name". Now they appreciate it more now they are adults.

I can do a simple chain (dble,triple crochet but thats about it. Can't follow a pattern, but can with knitting) Both grandmothers did though. I had one grandmother (dad's mom) who love to crochet and do cross word puzzles. She use to crochet the neatest runners using crossword patterns, i.e. black squares solid, word squares outlined.

Sorry, simple question turns into a dissertation...

I learned to crochet from watching my DM, found a more comfortable way to do it that works for me (according to the rest of the world I do it "wrong", but the results are the same), and so I've been crocheting since I was 6 or 7, close to 60 years. I taught myself to knit in my very early 20s with a book and watching one of the ladies at work who could knit forwards & backwards (she said it was easier than purling, and she's right; but I can't do it as fast as turning & purling since I developed osteoarthritis). I taught myself to tat from a very old copy of Workbasket Magazine (from the 1950s). Depending on the look I want or what I want to make I do whichever one the work calls for. I've been doing needlework of one kind or another for over 60 years & love it all.

I've been doing both since I was little. I picked up knitting from my mother who got me started about the age of 8. I taught myself to crochet when I was about 15 from books. Although I love crocheting, I would say that knitting is my most favorite.

I can only crochet, never learned how to knit. And for the life of me I can't seem to be able to crochet in mini scale. I've tried and tried, but my stitches always come out too loose and the item doesn't come out to scale and looks kind of sloppy. But I'm still trying. and I will get it right one of these days. I like the stitches and look of crochet afghans dolies better than knitted afghans, but I like the look of knitted sweaters better.

To crochet, knit or do other needlework in mini I reduce the thread & needle sizes, but I also use a magnifying visor; for the super-tiny stuff I use a jeweler's loupe.

My mother taught me to crochet when I was a little girl - it was her only craft talent. I taught myself to knit when I was around 18 years old. I'm a lefty and could only figure out how to follow the directions doing it right-handed, so I knit very slowly and not very well, truth be told. By the time I learned that you could view the directions in a mirror to learn lefty it was too late and I confused myself beyond belief. Fortunately I actually prefer the look of crochet.

I've hooked rugs, painted t-shirts, done embroidery, quilting, counted cross stitch (my favorite thing) and just about any other craft known to man for probably 55 years.

I like to knit. I can do the basic stitches for crochet, but I can't seem to make anything out of it nor can I follow a pattern. On the other hand, I'm not a great knitter either. I actually prefer needlework like cross stitch and embroidery. One of these days I will find the time to sharpen my skills.

Definitely check out the website that Casey recommended. It's a great site!!!

I can crochet, mostly afghans. I know how to knit but shaping seems to be beyond my talent. I make doll and teddy bear sweaters with just knitted rectangles. Knitting seems to have a smoother look but it also takes longer than crochet.

Knitting. My mom tried to teach me crochet, but I just couldn't get the hang of it. My mom was a lefty, who learned from her lefty mom to crochet. Luckily, I'm an extreme lefty so that wasn't the problem. I just couldn't pick it up. Since she's passed on I really regret not giving it more of an effort, especially since it's hard to find lefty teachers.

One day my mom wanted to learn to knit so she read a book and taught herself to knit left-handed, then she taught me. It was so much easier, imo, than crochetting. I feel kind of odd because everyone says how much harder it is. I just hate the reaction I get from knitters when I tell them how I knit. I know there are arguments about how I should do it right-handed, and I've tried, but my brain shuts down and it becomes so stressful that I can't do it. The theory is that since both hands are moving, it shouldn't matter, but it does. I enjoy knitting so I'm just going to keep on knitting my way. I'm a left-handed English knitter (as opposed to Continental method), meaning I hold the yarn in my left hand and work the stitches from right to left. My problem is I have to reverse patterns, but that doesn't bother me much because I'm used to adjusting as a normal part of living in a righty world.

I want to get into miniature knitting, if I can ever find any needles below a size 2. I guess I'll have to break down and buy them online.

I learned to crochet as a small kid, but failed all attempts the family ladies on both sides to teach me knitting. I taught myself at age 45 and have had needles and yarn close at hand ever since. Crochet on very small needles and fine thread probably produces a much more delicate and sturdy fabric for mini's. I can't hold a crochet hook firmly enough to do the tiny stuff anymore. I've knitted a few mini blankets with lace wt yarn and blocked them out thin. My last produced lace garnet colored shawl ('me' sized) is in a pic in my photobucket, with several others on the second page of the pics. I'm working on a diagonal lace stole in cream colored silk/wool now.

I love to crochet. I have learned how to knit but I lose it if I don't knit for a while. Crocheting is something my mother taught me when I was a child and I still use it today to make things for myself and for my kids. My mom also taught me how to knit but like I said it just does not want to stick in my brain for some reason.

I learned to crochet when I was young, but hated knitting. My mother was the opposite (she would knit the most beautiful lace). I finally really started knitting in my late 20s. I am more comfortable with crochet, but sometimes I just want to knit something.

Now quilting (not the tied stuff, but real quilting), drives me NUTS, and my extended family does a lot of them! lol

I made one quilt when I was pregnant with our first son. A complicated log cabin pattern in the sunshine and shadow version with lot's of layers. My hubby cut out all the pieces and my poor mom sewed them together on a antique singer treadle machine. All I had to do is the quilting part.

YUKKKK! I hated it. My Muse was not inspired or aMused! Finished it, but never started another. I like to sew, but this just wasn't my thing.

My mom was a quilter. My mom was a hand quilter and her best friend was a machine quilter. She used to argue that machine quilting wasn't real. It used to drive her friend nuts. She preferred "large stitch" because it was more enjoyable and most of her stuff was like that. She could do the smaller stitches, but didn't enjoy doing it.

Right now I'm in middle of a top-down raglan sweater. This is my second and I've been working on it on and off for months. I have the sleeves left. I love top-down raglans, probably because I have a hard time following some patterns. But I figured I needed to branch out from Harry Potter scarves that I had been knitting. I'm making it for my dad and asked him if he wanted his initial stitched in it like Mrs. Weasley does in the movies. But he didn't so it's just a wine colored wool raglan.

I crochet, a lot scarves, afghans, amigurumi (japanese art of small crochet animals!), doll clothing, pet sweaters etc. I love it the most, I find it easier to alter crochet patterns, easier to freehand, easier to fix mistakes, etc when crocheting.

I think all my stuffed creations are happy I crochet too :wave:tako-chan.jpg

I knit too, but I don't like it nearly as much. I do a little round and straight loom knitting though, mostly for scarves and afghan squares and that sort of thing.

I'd be totally thrilled if I could do either of these tasks! My dear mom tried repeatedly when I was young to teach me, but it never sunk in. The best I can do is knit a scarf. Luckily my eldest daughter has the knack for both, and I'd have to say I like the look of mini crocheting best.