2/1/06 Deals??

Minis On The Edge

What was your best Miniature Deal that you got on an item? What was that item?

I personally just had a WONDERFUL experiance at Hobby Lobby today. I went there after stopping at the store to buy my daughter some yogurt and ginger ale because her stomach was hurting. I desided to stop there since I remember they had 50% off miniatures this week. Well, we got there and the miniature isle was basically empty and I found out the 50% off was on the internet coupon which I left at home (Glad I checked before I got in line).

Well, I said I may as well look around and so I did and decided to look down the 66% off isle. Well I looked down one of them and saw a Newport dollhouse kit on sell for $149 and thought that was a good deal but was not looking for a house that big and it looked similar to the Beacon Hill which I kinda like better because there is no milled siding (I don't want to use siding on my beacon hill).

I looked behind it and found a Marquam Hill Mansion dollhouse kit there but the price said $199 so I asked for a sales manager because I knew the price shown was not the correct price since it was in the 66% off and he came and said the price should be $99.99 I almost fainted. So I bought it of course. :(

This was so weird that they did not have this house in the dollhouse section but I am so happy they did not. Someone else would have found it for sure :D . I think I am gonna keep it and build it after we move. This kit was SO heavy though :)

Oh My Gosh Tracy, That SAME thing happened to me a few weeks ago at HL. I was on the dollhouse isle and the lady who works that area said "come here, gotta show you something" She took me to the 66% off isle and there was the Marquam Hill and the Newport. I came home and talked to my hubby about it. a few seconds later I called them to see if they would hold it. They were so nice. It is now under the bed waiting for me to finish my Garfield. I think that was a great deal, but also the Willowcrest and Farfield I bought at the HBS closeout store for 1/2 off

This kit was SO heavy though

I expect that's the MDF. I was really shocked when I got the Grand Bassroom kit last year, I'm used to a box that size with plywood sheets in it tw weigh about 2/3 as much!

I love your sweet little Sarah! Thanks for sharing her with us in your avatar.

So far the best (?) mini deal I EVER got was being selected as one of the Greenleaf team builders!

Before that, though, was not too long after we moved to Tallahassee (before coming to Havana) and we wanted to buy our first computer. For one of those serendipitous reasons one of the models DH had researched and was considering went on sale at Sam's Club for some ridiculously low prce if we'd buy a membership; which we did. While we were cruising the rest of the store (hey, we now had a membership, no sense not going hog-wild, was there?) and passing through the sporting goods something caught my eye at the bottom of a huge pile of something-or-other that didn't look like sports equipment. When I pointed it out to DH He hunted down a "sales associate" who dug the box out for us. It was an all-wood Dura-Craft San Franciscan kit, unmarked. By the time we got to the checkout line DH was just about to have them put it back, and when he saw my face he asked them to do a price-check. They let us have it for $30!!! That was my first kit.

One of the best miniature deals on a structure that I got was shopping in Sam's club before Christmas, might have been around Thanksgiving. I found the huge Breyer stable, mdf wood made to look like the 'beadboard' with foldable wood fence and hay and fodder holder, for $40. Of course we bought it for her, and she loved it.

Another great mini deal was at a show, I bought my white sofa in Olde Shelby cottage from a dealer who had a box marked everything $7--I snatched up quite a few great pieces in there--I couldn't buy some of these items wholesale for that. Last year at another show I bought porcelain cupies with real little bows and a curl, their faces beautifully painted, not more than a 1 inch high, for $5 each. I kick myself now for only buying two.

So far the best (?) mini deal I EVER got was being selected as one of the Greenleaf team builders!

oh yes!! what she said!!

I did get the Willowcrest off of E-bay for under 50$ and the Victorianna was les than 30$ including S&H of course at the time I had nooo idea what really good deals I had gotten! being those were my first and 2nd house,

nutti :)

Marg's got some great deals off Ebay, she posts here so I'll let her answer that. I have had some great deals on tools that will be very helpful in building the Garf. I got a drill press, regular 90 bucks, on sale for 40, with an additional coupon for another 20% off, so it was 32 bones plus tax. 1/3 Horse motor, 1/2" chuck, proper pulley drive for 5 speeds. Cutout tool, AKA spiral saw, for 20 buckazoids, I'm still hedging toward squaring off all the windows, the cutout tool's the way to go, unless you dig the idea of burning out your Dremel's motor. I've done that cutting a small part out of peg (I said to my one legged wife I said Peg I said) board.

As for minis, I did just get the Heritage from HBS with shipping for 127, not too bad. Think I'll let Marg build it, she thinks it'll be nice as a Christmas cottage/house deal. If models are minis, well they're scale so I'd guess so, I love this kit, independently made resin kit, that no one ever has in stock, found out a coupla days ago the maker of the kit is a member of another forum I post on, and he's let me order direct, at a much lower cost than the on-line stores. So very soon I should have a U9-1035, AKA Proteus, from Fantastic Voyage in my grubby little paws.

Well this morning I just won the Sweetheart on ebay for only 10.50!!!!!! :) on everysite I've looked at it sells for about 45-50! I'm so excited! and shipping was only 10 dollars ! B)

The best deal for me was one Sunday night I received an email from a gentleman claiming he had a Glencroft for sale and wanted to know if I would like it before he put it on ebay. He then sent me pictures of it and I agreed to purchase it. I found out once I paid through Paypal that he lived only a few minutes from me and he charged me $25.00 and dropped it off at my home. That was the best deal ever. I never did find out how he knew I would be interested in a dollhouse, but I'm sure glad he found me.

Wendy

I've gotten a lot of good deals - I think someone else would probably have to tell me which was the best deal I ever got. I bought the Lafeyette kit brand new for a dollar at a yard sale.. that was great and the Newburg for $7.50 at a thrift shop.. The Franklin I bought for $8 or $10... estate sale... I guess I've gotten spoiled I look at the price of kits in the store and am shocked.. but there is one I'm thinking about buying - it's a light house kit and it looks like may end up being either 50 or 60% off.. if they still have it when I get back to the store - unfortunately that's the bad part of this - the craft store is planning to close next December so they're selling all their Dollhouse miniatures for 50% off and won't be restocking :) Thankfully we will still have our one miniature shop. Otherwise I'd be limitted to just buying over the internet - don't get me wrong I'm glad the internet is there but it really is nice to be able to go into a shop and see and touch everything.

-David

Otherwise I'd be limitted to just buying over the internet - don't get me wrong I'm glad the internet is there but it really is nice to be able to go into a shop and see and touch everything.

-David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have a mini shop here. There is a lady that sells out of her home but she just has catalogs for most stuff.

Anyway I did pick up a Garfield and a the other dollhouse at the thrift store for $10 and $4. Today I was helping a friend move and she gave me a DuraCraft Shenandoah NIB for helping her.

post-19-1138934499_thumb.jpg

You got your Garfield for $10? Wow now that's a Deal!! That Shanendoa kit looks beautiful too - they had one up at the shop last week but got the lighthouse instead. Going to show us pictures when you start working on it?

-David :lol: