Uh Oh, may be expecting again...

bookmarm

a new kitten ya'll, (...I'm 50, LOL...the well is dry).

A coworker sent out a plaintive e-plea asking for adoptive families for 3 kittens born under their deck to a stray momma. She thinks she can get the mom in for a spay when the babes are weaned, but can't blend the tiny's in to their household menagerie. My mouth said yes to adopting one of them, but my heart did a flump when i thought of the pee battles we're going through with our cat girls. Son 1 has gone in to expectant father mode in hopes that a kitten will appear soon. We love them all, so another mouth at the food bowl won't be a problem. Course getting them to coexist peacefully has been a challenge we haven't mastered. :thumbup:

Good luck, i keep trying to convince people here to get another dog, another mouth at the food dish and an extra leash in one hand is not all that much more work. Buddy loves other dogs, if i had another one they would keep each other busy running. My big sister3 has a dalmatian cross and he and buddy have a blast, until Luke starts biting, he a tad anti social, the strange thing is buddy doesn't care he really is great with other dogs and people.

Don't worry about a kitten...the ladies in your household will love it and probably fight over it. I had a huge male cat named Trouble - and he was from day 1 - anyway Trouble was about 5 years old when a lady at work said her cat was having kittens. I told her I would be delighted to take all of the males - thinking there would only be one - two at the most. Wrong! There were three males. I brought them home at 6 weeks, and my big guy just thought they were wonderful. He took such good care of them, even letting them try to nurse on him! He took them to the box and took them to the food, and they followed him around wherever he went. He would groom them (a bit roughly) and would round them up. He was the best mama the kittens had.

Yes what's one more. I got my second dog as a present for my Thumper (who's only flaw is marking... especially with his new pet taking over). However he trained the new dog, and they definatly keep each other busy. Your new kitten will be welcomed, and a member of the family in its own niche. Congrats, I hope delivery goes smoothly!

I have 2 cats and an Amazon parrot. Of course there is history here....

One of the cats, the mom, Damita is a cat that my girls had, (we had as a whole family when I was married) we adopted her from the local spca after their other cat got hit by a car. Turns out she had a heart defect and the vet said she would only last 6 months. They also refused to spay her as she might die under anesthesia. (sp?) Well, she managed to escape from the house several times and had 6 litters. After I was divorced, she got pregnant again. Ex wanted to give her back to the spca so I took her in. She had 6 more. One, the runt, was so adorable, I had to keep him. Named him Twister as he would twist amongst his siblings to get to the food source. (Of course, he grew to the biggest, he's 15 lbs. now.) I was finally allowed to get her spayed after signing all sorts of disclaimer papers. She is now 10 years old and still going strong.

My Amazon is 30 years old. Adopted 5 years ago from an older woman who had too many birds to take care off. The bird can be obnoxious but she is loveable. (Who knew birds like to cuddle?) She will probably live another 30 to 60 years (I know I won't live another 60 years, so I've threated my daughters with being left with the bird in my will.)

Actually, both my daughters called me today, as their Dad called them to inform them that their childhood dog (last link to their childhood pets) had to be put down. They were both crying so I mentioned that he could now hear and see again (was deaf and blind in his old age) as was probably running with our greyhound that we lost a few years ago.

Sorry for such a long post. When I get started on pets....

Rhonda, I know! Our household is run by the four legged daughters and sons. I think Mammy misses her daughter who died a few years ago of an enlarged heart. The demon A is too independant for her to cuddle. The kitten will probably become her babe. We'll see.

You might want to suggest to your friend that they consider trying to get the cat family in their house before the kittens are weaned if the mother is tame enough.

We had a stray have her five kittens under our deck. Initially she was scary-mean protective and nasty. After a few days of feeding, she was a sweatheart. We waited for the kittens to be weaned then offered to let her explore the house - well, she had no desire to ever step foot outside again. The problem was, the kittens were feral. We finally had to get one of those have-a-heart rodent cages to catch them. Talk about stressful for the kittens! It took a while for hunger to trump fear for them... it was quite an ordeal. We brought them into a spare bedroom where the mom was, but without early human handling, they've never been real good 'housecats' - we found homes for all of them, and keep in contact - they're all incredibly shy and withdrawn. They've warmed up a little over the years, but I think earlier human intervention and handling would have been an entirely different story.

Or call a vet and see what he suggests... grabbing the whole family before the kittens are weaned might freak the mom cat to the point where she simply carries them off where you won't ever find them. Maybe there is some middle ground better way...

We had the mom fixed and she's now part of our pack and we love her dearly! She's also skittish and terrified of strangers, but we don't know her past... once she warms to you, she never forgets you - even people who don't visit often!

I'm still following Zero around with the bottle of 'Cat Be'gone' spray ready for any tail shakin' around the usual spots. I've also threatened to cork the offending body part if she doesn't stop. Extra hugs, extra quality time...showing the open door to the other waiting cat children, but she's not going for it. Will not send her somewhere else because she would die of terror. She's our child, and we will keep her comfy and solitary, if that's what she wants. She loves us desperately, but is so afraid of the other felines.

• 2 weeks later...

through MUCH drama over the last week's negotiations, the new babe might arrived tomorrow night. Got no idea on sex/color/skittish issues...just a tiny 6 wk'er, not that those are important. Went Baby shoppin' at PetsMart over the weekend, so we're ready...and played it safe with a pale blue baby bed and litter pan. WE WILL NOT COME HOME WITH MORE THAN 1 (1!!!) babe!!! More than 4 indoor only cats is WAAAY too many! More than 10 house critters are WAAAY too many!

I almost got a kitten today. My daughter went to deliver some parts for work and when she got out at the place for delivery, a kitten ran up and jumped in the truck and would not get out!! The secretary came out and helped her. She said someone had just dumped it off in front of their shop yesterday. Poor thing. I am just not ready for another kitty. I rather like not having a litterbox.

and of course you can predict the outcome. Two new daughters. 5 cats is 'madness'!

Babies Lily and Maisie have arrived and are hissing/being hissed at, through the carrier. Ollie loves them and can't wait to snuggle and groom them, but they are terrified of even this small sweet pup. Mammy and the demon Alexandra have been cautious about getting near them, which is good. The babes are 7 weeks old. Lily is a gray /light eyed tabby. Maisie is a tortoise-shell/striped something exotic looking. Both seem sweet things, but have the 'wild momma' heritage that makes them jumpy with being introduced to new critters.

Are we insane???? :groucho:

pics were taken at a play session up in the boys' bathroom (temporary adjustment housing). Babies were wild to play, then zonked fast into sleepy little jello blobs. Son 1 or 2 will try to post photos tomorrow. They seem healthy and in good spirits. The other feline daughters aren't as happy.

Gayle,

I think at one time we had something like 18 cats at home, mostly indoor. My mom's a sucker for a stray. Poor Daddy. So, I understand your saying way too many. Though you do get used to it.

Can't wait to see pics, I LOVE seeing kittens play!

Terri

My dad does really love my mom...their 40th wedding anniversary last Friday.

Baby pictures are in my gallery. Lily and Maizie head out for doctor appt tomorrow at "Too Early a.m". The big cat women are still in a serious snit, but we're keeping them all separate till we get shots and check overs. The babies are awfully cute, but I'm worried... Jim has a glazed look and clinched teeth.

Baby pictures are in my gallery. Lily and Maizie head out for doctor appt tomorrow at "Too Early a.m". The big cat women are still in a serious snit, but we're keeping them all separate till we get shots and check overs. The babies are awfully cute, but I'm worried... Jim has a glazed look and clinched teeth.

They are adorable :)