I got the Job

kellee

I got the job at Old Navy, it is parttime, she said between 15 - 30 hours a week. Not exactly what I was looking for but right now it will do.!

Please be honest and tell me if you think I did the right thing..

I started working with the temp agency in January. The first assignment was horrible and it was a 30 minute drive from home in horrible downtown traffic.... so it was about a 45 minute drive if the trafffic was bad. I was told the day of that the assignemet ended.. and had to wait 2 weeks before he found the next assignment.!

The second position was a .75 cent raise, great location. 15 minute drive on bad days a 20 minute drive.. but noone told me until the day OF that it was my last day the day before. They let me work but I called the temp agency and he denied knowing. He tried to give me a assignment that was back in the same area as the first.. with a .75 cent decrease in pay. I declined the postition. mainly becasue of the gas prices now.! I never know when the job will be gone. It has been 3 weeks and he has nothing right now.!

This Postition at Old Navy is $2.00 less an hour than I was making at the second assignment and it is part time.! But it is a stable position.

What do you think ?

kellee

Stable position, always a plus! How is the drive? Is it closer than the temp jobs were? The pay cut is poopy, but at least you know you'll be getting that paycheck, plus I bet that more hours will be available come late summer and back-to-school shopping. From what I have read from you, you are quite the go-getter, so I suspect that once you know your job, you'll be busting tush to get things done, which employers always love to see. I believe you said the discounts were pretty good, so that should help, especially with getting the kids' clothes (my sister LOVES to get stuff for my nephews from Old Navy, especially on clearance!) The hours will be good for you being with the kids...will your husband be able to get them off to school on the mornings you work? Also, will you get any benefits? I'm really thinking you did the right thing here, and I hope that you will enjoy the job and be happy there! Keep us posted and good luck!

Sure and steady beats out nothing and not knowing. If Old Navy is closer you will save the extra $2 an hour in gas and traffic frustration.

Thank you.

Its about a10 minute drive from my home...and there wont be much traffic a 4:30 am. no benefits, it is part time, full time is offered benefits. To be very honest not many stores around here are offering full time. I have been to about 6 interviews since Dec. and noone offered full time.!

Kellee

Part time permanent position is much better then the not knowing part of temp jobs. You might get more hours like it was said in the fall and definitely at Christmas time. Maybe later on you can find another part time job to fill in the hours.

Retail is always an easy and safe way to go. I worked it for 15 years. Sometimes the hours aren't that great, but if you are still there when they gear up for back to school I am sure you will have plenty to do. If they offer you extra time take it if you can. Try to be flexible and they will look to you when they have extra hours to give.

You have done the right thing taking a job you know will be there. Things will work out. Congrats on getting a job.

Congrats on the job! I am going along with everyone else. Stability is much more important. Sure, the pay may be low now, but it will go up. When I started at my current job, they gave me $6 an hour. I was making more in the fast food industry than that, but it was full time and it wasn't working with food! :) Now, after four years, I am one of the highest paid non-management people and I even took a self requested demotion. So, just hang in there. Soon, you will reap the benefits!!

Congratulations on getting the job!!!! I would stick to the stable position. I must say that of the 4 temp positions I had in the past, 2 turned into full time for me. The world is a different place though now than it was then. I would do the Old Navy job. Especially if the commute is not as bad. Eat healthy to help your body stay healthy. The Temp jobs so far has been causing you stress which leads to sickness. I say, take this job. I hope it works well for you.

I see your from Ohio too- I understand what your saying about the traffic. I currently have no job- but I did work at Sofa Express Corp Office in Groveport before they went bankrupt. I had a 25 min drive from my home in rush hour and I hated it!!! I was actually thinking about going to somewhere like Old Navy myself and getting a PT job for some extra cash. I think your making a pretty good choice. I was never a fan of Temp agencies anyway.

Keep the Old Navy job and try it for a while at least. You get out early enough that if you find it isn't working out you can still go on job interviews. Who knows, maybe you will like it and it will turn into something better. If you are good with numbers and such, maybe you could get a cashier postition there.

I had orientation last night, and I am working on Thurday! 4:45 am - about 9:30am.

and I have a interview today with our local thrift store....and I need a few shirts so I am going to go looking for a few shirts as well as do the interview!!

I am hoping maybe I can do both jobs.!!

Kellee

Congratulations! What a fun place to work! :p I think you did the right thing. When you know what to expect, you know what to plan. You can't plan with "unstable"--nobody can. It may be a cut in pay and less hours, but at least you KNOW what to expect and it can only get better from there.

well, I am back from the interview at the thrift store, I choose to pass on it.! It was minumim wage... 37 hours... but she would NOT work around the hours or days of Old Navy. and you get a 1/2 hour lunch but no breaks in between... I always thought if you work 8 hours you had to have 2 15 minute breaks or at least 1.

The old navy job is offering 401K & health insurance after I have been there for so long.! I really need to think of those as well right now.!

Kellee

The 15-minute break/ 4 hours' work and 1/2 hour meal break for 8-hour shift is Federal Law. If Old Navy calls, answer! At a certain point the fringe benefits become important considerations.