Always wanted one, now I am getting one!

heidiiiii

Hello to all! I recently won a Skilcraft colonial dollhouse circa 1978 on ebay ($19.99) I am breathlessly awaiting it`s delivery and my adventure into miniatures.

In my CT town we have a museum that my parents would take me to on Sundays. The only thing I enjoyed there was the dollhouses behind glass. They never gave me a dollhouse so I used to take shoe boxes and cut and paint and pretend.

This is going to be interesting for me because I dont know the first thing about wiring anything, and i want lights in the house.

But I am glad I found this forum so that I can read and learn from all of you.

WELCOME!!!! Glad you have made the jump and have gotten into it all...Wiring is def. not too bad...I did it and I am about as non wire friendly as you can get :):) Enjoy, and glad you found us :D

Congratulations on your first house!

I also had no dollhouse while growing up but now I have 22 or so

and that is just in 3 yrs. of course I have given away a couple also.

it is very addicting to build a dollhouse!

I look forward to hearing about your progress!

also BTW

WELCOME!! to the forum!

plzz feel free to ask as many questions as you like....lots of talented peoples here with great ideas!

nutti :)

I just spent the last 2 hours reading this site. I am sooooooo excited!!

I have saved free wallpaper download sites and read about wiring, etc etc.

Now I will be at the window like my Miniature Pinscher waiting for the UPS truck to arrive!

:)

Welcome to the forum heidiiiii5!! I was watching an auction last week for that and I am so happy you got it! I always like to see how high certain items sell on ebay so I put it on my "watch" list LOL.

So, have you picked out paint colors ar anything yet?

I live in a 103 yr old colonial myself. I am going to be looking up historical colors for the outside but i want the main color to be red.

As for the other rooms, I am going to go ONE room at a time. I am not going to go willy nilly. But I have started looking on Ebay for furniture. I already bought a small wire milk crate with 6 milk bottles in it. Starting small. :)

I have my work cut out for me with the wiring. I am going to do alot of research. I want both floors to be lit and also an outside light.

I will keep reading and let you all know when my package arrives.

Thanks for the welcome!

Hi Heidi and Welcome!

Like you I didn't have a dollhouse growing up :) my dad would have had a heart attack! But strangely enough he was the one who would take us to the miniatures museum they had at Knotts Berry Farm when I was a kid. I sure would love to see that again - wonder if it's still there..

Anyway I'm just getting ready to venture into my first attempt at wiring but there is a couple of great tutorials out there and I believe there is one posted on this site by Darrell.

If you've always wanted a dollhouse I think it's a pretty safe bet to say you'll be hooked once you get started! :D

Congrats on your dollhouse win!

-David

I live in a 103 yr old colonial myself. Thanks for the welcome!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I bet your real house is beautiful too! When I am getting ready to build a dollhouse, I always go around and take pictures of houses similar to what I am getting ready to build. Gives me inspiration!

Welcome to the forum Heidi!

Welcome to the forum Heidi and congrats on you dollhouse. Will look forward to your postings. Probably to late to help you but miniatures.com has a 25% coupon off your entire order thru midnight tonight, if it will help you start stocking. If you go to their website and sign up they will send you notices of sells. If you live near a Hobby Lobby they have an internet coupon this week for 50% off all dollhouse miniatures good thru Saturday. Again if you sign up on their site they will send you weekly coupons.

Peggi

Hello to all! I recently won a Skilcraft colonial dollhouse circa 1978 on ebay ($19.99) I am breathlessly awaiting it`s delivery and my adventure into miniatures.

In my CT town we have a museum that my parents would take me to on Sundays. The only thing I enjoyed there was the dollhouses behind glass. They never gave me a dollhouse so I used to take shoe boxes and cut and paint and pretend.

This is going to be interesting for me because I dont know the first thing about wiring anything, and i want lights in the house.

But I am glad I found this forum so that I can read and learn from all of you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Congratulations on your dollhouse! Let us know when it arrives, and send photos as you build. I love photos.

When I was a little girl, I used to play house on the staircase. I would pretend each level was a different room. Now that I'm older, I can afford to endulge my passion better.

Glad you've joined us.

Susanne

Hi Heidi and Welcome!

Like you I didn't have a dollhouse growing up  :)  my dad would have had a heart attack! 

-David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

David, I have to share a story. I have a girlfriend with four boys (age 7, 5, and twins at age 3). Anyway, my friend's (Trina) boys LOVE my dollhouse.... especially the 5-year old.

Anyway, I was playing dolls with one of the twins (Kaden) and he was quite into the game, until I said (in a doll's voice, of course) "Let's go shopping and find shoes to match our outfits" ... well, Kaden looked at me, looked at his mum, and backed away... slowly (like I had bugs crawling out of my nose). His brother (Owen) was more interested and picked up a doll to go shopping. Trina laughed and said "I'm not telling their dad!!"

Susanne

LOL Susanne :)

What a cute story lol I can picture it so clearly. I probably would have had the same reaction at his age. Don't get me wrong I had dolls - no dollhouse but dolls only my dolls were an Indian and a Viking by Marxx - man those were great dolls, we even had horses for them :D I guess most of the guy dolls today are either G.I. Joes (which I still think are cool) or super heros, but I sure enjoyed that Viking and Indian.. have to admit though they never did have a shopping "adventure" LOLOL

-David

but miniatures.com has a 25% coupon off your entire order thru midnight tonight
HBS also has a 15% discount off all orders placed by Feb 15 on the back of the new catalog, media code 60101. I went berserk and ordered a BUNCH of 1:24 scale stuff! Now, after I finish the McKinley & Travel Trailer I'll HAVE to build the Fantasy Villa or the Fairfield!

Like you I didn't have a dollhouse growing up  my dad would have had a heart attack!

Oh, dear David, did that ever bring back memories! When DS#1 was very small I was making a cloth baby doll (Woman's Day had an adorable pattern for the doll & clothes) for a friend and he saw it and asked me to make him one (I was pregnant with DS#2) and I asked him why, he said because I was going to have a new baby and he wanted one of his own to play with, so I made him one; after the "new" baby arrived, so did my mother. She took one look at #1 playing with his Baby (his doll's name) and nearly had a cow!

DS#1 grew up to have a precious little daughter (well, she's a highschool senior now) and was a wonderful dad to her; he also just retired from the USMC with a distinguished career. I realize my friends & I were probably on the leading edge of not assigning gender-roles to toys for our kids, but they all seem to have turned out! :)

HBS also has a 15% discount off all orders placed by Feb 15 on the back of the new catalog, media code 60101.  I went berserk and ordered a BUNCH of 1:24 scale stuff!  Now, after I finish the McKinley &  Travel Trailer I'll HAVE to build the Fantasy Villa or the Fairfield!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I placed an order on that 15% discount too, then a few days later they sent me an e-mail with a number to quote for 25% off through to January 31st (yikes ... that's today). But I'd placed quite a large order, so I decided I'd better call it quits for now.

Susanne

but I sure enjoyed that Viking.. have to admit though they never did have a shopping "adventure" LOLOL

-David

<giggling> Sure they did! They just called it "pillaging". :):D:( (sorry, couldn't resist)

<waving to Heidi> Hello Heidi and welcome to the forum!

Deb

<giggling>  Sure they did!  They just called it "pillaging".  :)  :D  :( (sorry, couldn't resist)

LOLOL :):( Deb I totally forgot about that!! But you're right! Oh man! My older sis had barbies and yes they Did pillage her and Ken's stuff LOLOL I think the indian even scalped Barbie a few times (she had wigs) and I appologize for the steriotype but what I know I was 5 LOL and it was sorta fun watching them wigs fly across the room :p

bad David :lol:

LOLOL  :)  :D  Deb I totally forgot about that!! But you're right! Oh man! My older sis had barbies and yes they Did pillage her and Ken's stuff LOLOL  I think the indian even scalped Barbie a few times (she had wigs) and I appologize for the steriotype but what I know I was 5 LOL  and it was sorta fun watching them wigs fly across the room :(

bad David  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I was six years old, I used to play with a neighbour boy that had a whole army of leaden soldiers. Actually, 2 armies. One set was dressed with red jackets and the other side had blue jackets. We used to have such fun playing in his bedroom (did I say that .. blush). We'd create huge battle scenes. I remember he had cannons and mounted horses. He used to know that you'd lay the artillery soldiers down first and then have the ones standing up behind followed by the mounted riders. I'll bet his collection would be worth a mint today. I wonder if he still has it.

I think I just figured out why soldiers all wear the same uniforms. They used to be all men, and we know how men hate shopping. I guess that's why they all just wore the same clothes.

Susanne

I am so happy at the warm welcome that I have received on this site! :):D:(

I have been searching ebay and looking at furniture, and I have saved many sites that sell items. I already have miniatures.com catalog here at home and have circled a few things that I want to buy.

I have a question about curtain rods that I will post someplace else but just in case. Do any of you make your own curtain rods for curtains? And has anybody made there own curtain shades w/ the drawpulls?

I wondered if it would be easier to make then buy. I am pretty handy and I plan on making my own curtains and linens.

Here are my photos that I have of the dollhouse so far. Hasnt come yet!

http://community.webshots.com/user/heidiiiii5

I am so happy at the warm welcome that I have received on this site!  :)  :D  :(

We're just happy you joined us!

I have a question about curtain rods that I will post someplace else but just in case. Do any of you make your own curtain rods for curtains? And has anybody made there own curtain shades w/ the drawpulls? 

I wondered if it would be easier to make then buy. I am pretty handy and I plan on making my own curtains and linens.

There's a treasure trove of information about drapes and curtains here. Cat put together a collection of tutorials in a link at the top of the "general mini talk" page. Wendy did a tutorial on a valance and drapes that is just the best ever. For curtain rods, you can use all kinds of things from bamboo skewers to chopsticks. I found some mini dowel pins at Michaels recently that are just perfect.

I got tons of advice about making shades from the wonderful folks here. They were really easy to do....cut the fabric to size for the width of the window, finish the edges with a touch of glue and then roll it around the skewer at the top till you get the right length and glue a bit of trim on the bottom for the pull. The drapes in the music room were done using Wendy's tutorial but didn't turn out nearly as well as hers did. She's got pictures of hers in the tutorial she did which you'll definitely want to see.

For some reason, I'm getting errors when I try to add pictures as an attachment to this post but you can see the blinds I did for the Pierce bay windows at:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/511157...078547631fmTBpS and http://community.webshots.com/photo/511157...078547631YsQgEb

Deb

I used coat hangers pieces for curtain rods, since they are plentiful around my house. (They really do reproduce in a dark closet) and I also used Wendy's tutorial for drapes but used velcro so I could swap out at a later date.

Peggi

I used coat hangers pieces for curtain rods, since they are plentiful around my house. (They really do reproduce in a dark closet) and I also used Wendy's tutorial for drapes but used velcro so I could swap out at a later date.

Peggi

Don't know why this posted twice except I got an error the first time. Sorry

Peggi, you can delete the duplicate post, I had one post four times! with that message, so I just deleted the other three.

Heidi, I've made curtain rods from lots of things, I really like the 1/8" diameter round dowels and coathanger wire also works well.