Mini Blankets - advise needed

This probably falls under other crafty things but, I found this great site: http://freepatterns.k1p1keepingyouinstitchesstudio.com

It is all patterns for knitting dishclothes using size 7 or 8 US needles and worsted yarn. I am enjoying it as I have never made a large project knitted because after I learn the pattern, the thrill is gone. (Can anyone say ADD?)

Anyhoo, the patterns are really nice so I was wondering, if I used a size 0 needle and a two ply yarn, do you think they might look like miniature afgans? The average real size is 10" X 10" so I am thinking, with a small needle and light yarn, they might turn out tiny.

Does anyone else have experience with knitting minis?

Rhonda

I crocheted a baby blanket... once... ugh. I also started a table cloth it has been attached to the spool since early September. But back to you I was able to use a very fine needle and a lace "yarn" and it worked like the bigger stuff and was about the same effort and time. I think I just wimped out!!!!

I've always been a knitter but haven't ever done anything in miniature but I did crochet a small baby blanket to go in the bassinet I had made. I also crocheted some blankets for the Jefferson.

I used 1 ply very fine yarn and a size 14 crochet hook.

I don't own any knitting needles that are smaller than a size 13 and I believe that would be too large for miniature knitting.

Good luck and let us know how you make out if you decide to try it.

Here's a pic of the baby blanket.

OMGosh more power to all of you!

I just bought size 20 crochet thread and size 10 hook..smallest I could find...to make scarves for my dolls. What a challenge. Not sure about the outcome.

Wenlaine..... I can't even imagine a size 14 hook. :)

Rhonda, Tiffany means the afghans I crochet. I use # 14 crochet hooks and mercerized cotton sewing thread. I use real baby afghan patterns for those. There are a few on my blog if you want to see. I wouldn't use that fine of thread for a rug tho.

It has been a long time since I crocheted a mini rug. There is one in my country kitchen. I think I used about # 20 thread for that one and about an 8 or 9 hook. Whatever size you use be sure to match the thread to the hook. If you get too small a hook it will just split the thread and annoy you no end. One of the sites that I get a lot of patterns from is this one. They have a big rug section. Maybe you could find a pattern that is for a small kitchen mat or something similar that would work for minis.

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory.php

For knitting, I would probably use the 000 or 0000 needles that I have for knitting with beads. Tatting thread works well with those. For blankets I think I would try one strand of fine crewel wool maybe.

The above site has a sister site that is for knitting patterns. You might find something there. All I can suggest is experiment until it looks right to you.

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php

Good luck. Let me know if you need help.

I knit and crochet, but I doubt my eyes could handle the really small work. Although I do have the lighted magnifying glass for the fine painting of metal minis. Do you need to use the magnifying glasses that go around your neck for the mini crocheting and knitting?

Sally, I couldn't live without my lighted magnifyer! I had good eyesite until I started doing minis.....That was the end of that! I use the lighted mag for everything, especially needlework. I do just fine with a #14 hook and sewing thread as long as I have that. I couldn't even see the thread without it.

I've spent the last couple of days playing. I bought some size 00 knitting needles and baby fingering yarn. I tried doing some of the patterns I have but until I get more practice on a small scale, I will do something simple. KTOG's and YO's are giving me a hard time. It is so easy to slip a stitch.

I am doing well on a basic Basket pattern at the moment and will post a pic if it turns out ok :thumbup:

I do have to say, my finger tips are sore as the 00 size is about the size of a toothpick! I do love a challenge though and "As God as my Witness" I will figure this out. :ohyeah:

On the down side, some of the patterns I've tried are off the internet. They weren't accurate. The row counts were off but I did not notice until I finished the row with extra stitches left then added up the instructions to find they were wrong. So, the one I'm doing now is a tried and true pattern. I re-calculated it for a mini. So far, so good. It is more tedious than real life knitting though as it is so small, and slower as you really have to pay attention. My needles are not clicking! :idea:

I'm not into knitting, or crocheting, but if it helps there is a canadian Ebay seller who makes the most realistic little pillows and blankets. I have purchased a couple. Her add says she uses DCM 100% cotton tatting thread, size 80 and a 0.60mm crochet hook. Good luck!

Holly (Havanna) makes beautiful blankets too. I have one that she made with a dollhouse baby she made me.
:p Thank you, Tracy. I use single-strand DMC embroidery floss, but I'm presenty nitting a set of "gentleman's combinations" (LONGJOHNS, y'all!) using single-ply candlewicking thread; I'm using 0000 knitting needles; I crocheted the afghans with a #12 steel hook (I also made the afghan in this picture, which I have since given to Susanne): med_gallery_8_76_127973.jpg