OH NO!

IAK

I'm at work and DH just called to say our puppy's nose and eyes are all swollen. This seems to have just happened all of a sudden. She seems to be playing but not as spunke as she normally is. I called the vet and he is taking her there now. Wonder if she got stung or something. He said he didn't notice anything weird happening when he took her out today. Geez now I have to be here worrying and waiting....

:) so sorry to hear about your puppy. I hate it when any of our dogs are sick or hurt. I always feel so helpless, and I always pray that they know that I'm trying to make them all better. I'll say a pray for your puppy. Please keep us posted.

Okay so DH just called and said the Doc says it looks like she may have been stung by a bee or spider. Can't imagine it could be a bee because she always on a leash when we take her out :) , maybe a spider bite? Anyways they gave her a shot of cortizone and says to give her childrens benadryl til the swelling goes down. Also not to leave her alone for the next few hours to make sure the swelling doesn't get worse and constrict her breathing. Boy or boy, hope that doesn't happen :kicking: . DH says she looks more like a boxer right now then a springer spaniel. Can't wait to go home and take care of her...

I'm sorry your little one is sick. Could it have been a bee that got inside the house?

I know that I get wasps inside my condo every few years, last year one of the wasps stung my little one, so this year (after seeing a wasp inside my condo in December, DANG!) I started getting someone in to spray.

I can actually laugh about it now....the wasp was hanging on for dear life, Shadow was running around the condo yelping, and I was chasing after Shadow trying to knock the wasp off, and this went on for a few minutes.... I can imagine what someone would have thought if they had been watching!

Some years ago one of our cats got bitten on his paw by a spider...swelling went all the way up his "arm" and shoulder and he limped around for several weeks! I hope your baby is better soon!

I remember when my baby beagle got himself into a bee's nest and had many stings on nose and face. Yep, he was a sick little guy way back in 1967. But he survived for another 15 years!

It's awful when the babies are hurty or sick. Makes you feel like such a bad parent!

Whew....okay she is better today. The swelliing has gone down and her eyes are open (not swollen shut) now. The Benedryl did wonders. Have to give it to her today again just for safe keeping. She being her old puppy self again running around with her toys being crazy. Thanks for all your concerns! :)

I had been reading in bed one night and just as I put my book down, my dog, who was sleeping on the bed, raised his head and looked at me and I could see the wheals actually raising along his face. Spider bite was all I could think of and down the mountain road we went to Emergency Vet. I never knew I could drive that road that fast, but a shot and an ice pak and he was fine.

I'd love to know where this spider came from though, because the dog had been dozing on the bed for about 20 minutes and he had to have just been bitten.

our Altoid kitty was stung/bitten by a spider as a kitten. We found her listing and unable to walk like she'd had a stroke. One paw was swollen so much that she lost all the nails/fur/ and it stop growing. This is the way she earned her name...curiously strong to live through several misfortunes. Sadly she didn't make it through an enlarged heart.