Orchid windows

I'm working on my Orchid, and, from reading the forums and blogs, it looks like some people wait until after the house is together to put the windows on. I'm wondering if there's anything to be aware of if I do this. Does it make any of the subsequent steps more difficult? Thanks!

The reason for waiting to put the windows (and all the trims) on last is twofold: Unless your hands are steady as the Rock of Gibraltor it's a lot easier to paint the walls around your trim without getting paint on the trim (or the clear acetate window inserts), or trying to paint the trim without ruining the acetate inserts or the wall paint/ wallpaper/ siding/ exterior or interior wall treatments. Generally after I have read the instructions over two or three times I figure out what order I want to build the house, but it NEVER involves adding windows or doors or their trims until the rest of the decorating is done. If you read over the Building Team blogs you'll see better why waiting just worked better for most of us.

The second reason (related to the first) is that Once the windows are in & the door(s) hung it's harder to wriggle hands into areas to trim away wallpaper, spackle gaps & fit bits.

I trace around my exterior trims, apply the siding and then the trims because the one time I applied my trims on top of the siding it was so thick it interfered with the gingerbread trim. Corner trim is nice and looks pretty but most of the time I don't bother, and just butt the siding pieces at the corners. I simulated board & batten on the Magnolia with 1/8" strips.

What Holly said. :)

Plus, some folks do not glue windows in place but hold them there with Mini Wax or some other kind of tacky wax so they can be removed if they decide to redecorate or to help with furniture and accessory placement -- things that are sometimes easier if you can get your fingers through an opening in the wall.

• 2 weeks later...