have I just lost it

tracibobs

Ok so i was going thhrough and older copy of my mini mags and decided i wanted to try a tut it called for to things i did not have Fabric you print on and second transparent amber dye i asked the lady in joanns for some help and told her what i needed and she told me the dont make any thing like that. I have not been feeling very good so was not in the mood to argue with her please tell me im not nuts that they do make such a thing and can be bought at joanns.

Traci, you can print on fabric with your inkjet printer. 100% cotton or silk ... natural fibers ... seems to work best. What you do is cut a piece of freezer paper -- the kind with plastic on one side -- the size of a sheet of computer paper (8.5 x 11). Iron the fabric (a piece larger than the paper) onto the paper. When it cools, carefully trim away the fabric that is overhanging the paper. You can run this through your printer. When the ink is dry, the fabric will peel away from the paper.

You can also buy fabric mounted on sheets that are sized to go through your printer at office supply stores, where they have the photo paper and labels, but it's a lot more expensive.

About the transparent amber dye ... I think most dyes are fairly transparent. Depends what you are doing with it. Might a thinned down paint work?

In my experience, 75% of people who work at places like JoAnn, Michaels, HobbyLobby, etc don't know their heads from a hole in the ground, let alone what things are made or carried in their stores. Praises be to the few who actually DO know what they're talking about. I can't count the number of times I've caught myself helping out saddened/dejected/frustrated customers that have been told that the products they saw on such and such DIY program don't exist or that the store hasn't EVER carried them, and they certainly don't now, only to tell them that no, they have it, it's called <insert product name here> and that it's probably on aisle <insert number> about halfway down unless they've moved it recently or are out of stock, etc.

Yet, none of these places will hire me, but they'll hire the people that'll tell their customers flat out that the product just plain doesn't exist, even when the customer just saw it on tv sometimes only minutes previously? :)

Freezer paper is amazing though, my mother and I have both used it to make printed fabric envelopes, and printed tissue envelopes and so on. Pretty much anything of lightweight natural fiber can be ironed to freezer paper and run through the printer.

I have a package of the "cloth paper" that I purchased at JoAnn's. I think you can also get it at Office Supply stores. Hope you start to feel better soon. You definatly are not "nuts"!

I'm with you, Tako. I've lost count of how many times have I been in Michael's or Joann's, or even my local dollhouse store (which is lousy, but at least we have one for now) helping customers just like you do. I was searching for something and calling all the Joann's around for miles and most of them simply said, "We don't carry it" or "The computer says we're out" and refused to listen to me when I tried to explain that it's on clearance and the computer will always say you are out. They have to go look, but they won't.

Customer Service is a thing of the past, I'm totally convinced. I think I'm getting old and I'm not even 40 yet! :)

I hope you got what you needed, Traci, and you are feeling better. A little mini therapy will do you wonders! :D

thnk you everyone im glad to know that it was just not me and im in fact not going crazy. It seem smost of the time when i go in there they never know what it is im looking for so i end up spending like half an hour looking for something. I'll try the printing on fabric like you said thanks alot

Traci B)

I once asked someone whether or not they had "enamel" craft paint. She said, "to paint animals?" and I said no it is a type of paint, E-N-A-M-E-L. Then she called her manager and wanted to know if she knew of any paint made out of animals....

unbelieveable!

I don't even know how many times I have gone to a store and been told by an employee what I am looking for does not exist only to find it on my own - after which I find the person and show it to them.

One time I was looking for an awl in a big box home store. The clerk had NO clue what an awl was, even after I described it, and was "helpfully" running me all over the store to departments where I knew we'd not find one. I finally lost him and found the awl myself. I didn't show it to him, I showed it to his manager and suggested some basic training for associates.

On the brighter side, I was in a Westlake ACE hardware not long ago. It wasn't terribly busy, and as I checked out, I saw that between customers the clerk was reading a study guide on gardening: plants, fertilizers, mulch, pesticides, week killers, etc ... what they are, why and where to use them, etc. I was very impressed.

I once asked someone whether or not they had "enamel" craft paint. She said, "to paint animals?" and I said no it is a type of paint, E-N-A-M-E-L. Then she called her manager and wanted to know if she knew of any paint made out of animals....

unbelieveable!

ROFLMAOPIMP!!!!!! :kicking: :)