The wheels on the bus go round and round?

20080326DSC_0194_thumb.jpg Well our good friends over at Hobby Builders Supply have us working on a new project… a bus!  It’s in the early stages, but we’re rolling along.  This will be our third miniature project with a transportation theme; first the Travel Trailer, then the Houseboat and now a Bus.  All three of these projects have been inspired by the miniatures.com crew who are always thinking about something new and interesting.  You can catch the bus in the upcoming Hobby Builders Summer catalog!

View the full article at Dolllhouse-Kits.com
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I saw elsewhere on this site the suggestion that they do vintage railcars. Ernie seemed into the idea.

A set of vintage rail cars would be FABULOUS! I've always been fascinated, but think of the possibilities for everyone! Murder on the Orient express springs to mind, not to mention touching goodbyes to servicemen, first loves, children being sent to the country during the Blitz, The Railway children, Sherlock Holmes, adjuncts to stationmasters houses, etc. i usually do houses only but THIS is excitng! It's the first picture other than a house I would definitely do!!! Maybe more than one as the ideas are flooding out of me. I've always wanted one, but I didn't know how to make the shell. PLEASE do this, Ernie!

Dianne

I have been working on the bus. It only comes with three driver's size seats, not all those shown in the picture. If it's supposed to come with all those seats, how do I get them? I was going to make it into a mobile home but so far it looks like a bus without seats.

I have been working on the bus. It only comes with three driver's size seats, not all those shown in the picture. If it's supposed to come with all those seats, how do I get them? I was going to make it into a mobile home but so far it looks like a bus without seats.

Two thoughts -- a mobile home wouldn't have all those seats anyway, would it?

Then -- seems like simple enough seats. Could you use one of those you have as a pattern? Trace around it on balsa or beech wood (which you can get in craft stores), cut them out, and make more?

The vintage railway car idea enthralls me. When I was a little girl back in the 1950's, my mum had bought me a LP record with a story of a little scottie dog's adventures. His name, surprise surprise, was "Scotty". He was a little black scottish terrier. His picture was on the cover of the album with a railway car in the background. I can still see the picture in my mind as I used to sit and look at the cover while I listened to my story over and over and over again. As kids in those days, we didn't have much in the way of toys. Maybe that's why they are still so fresh in our minds after all those years have gone by. I only remember that this one story was about a train and Scottie would every so often go "woof woof". I loved that story.

I guess that's another reason that dollhouses are so popular with my generation as we well remember that most coveted of all gifts: a dollhouse.

-Susanne

Two thoughts -- a mobile home wouldn't have all those seats anyway, would it?

Then -- seems like simple enough seats. Could you use one of those you have as a pattern? Trace around it on balsa or beech wood (which you can get in craft stores), cut them out, and make more?

After working on this for a couple of days it still looks more like a bus than anything. The picture shown here shows a lot of seats which you would need if you were to make it into the bus, which is the kits original intention. The seats have two side pieces, one back, and the seat. They are tab and slot construction. They would not be easy to do from scratch, especially needing so many. What you get in the kit is basically an empty bus with just the drivers seat and two others so if you wanted to make it into a bus and not a motor home, etc., you would have a problem. The undercarriage pieces and the seats are the only parts using tab and slot. The floor, sides, front and back are just glued. I don't think all those seats should be shown if they don't come with the kit, or they should be made available for those who want them.

If I were going to bash the bus into a motor home I'd probably use the two driver's seats up front and the other one for a seat inside, like "captain's seats". I also like the idea of a railcar, and bashing the wheels with smaller wooden discs to look like railway wheels, and bash the passenger bench seats, or maybe Pullman berths. I love the idea of an Orient Express car!

If I were going to bash the bus into a motor home I'd probably use the two driver's seats up front and the other one for a seat inside, like "captain's seats". I also like the idea of a railcar, and bashing the wheels with smaller wooden discs to look like railway wheels, and bash the passenger bench seats, or maybe Pullman berths. I love the idea of an Orient Express car!

The problem is it doesn't come with the bench seats, just three seats, all the same size. My question is are the seats in the picture, bench-like seats avilable? It would be a real job to make 16 seats from scratch. If they are available I would probably make it into a bus instead of a mobile home.

I meant that I would cobble together the ppassenger train seats, probably NOT making them with individually reclining backs, and use heavy card or foamcore to uphoster over. Ditto about cobbling Pullman berths, although I think I'd want at least one to be able to open or close.

I give up. Nobody has answered my question. The bus kit shown in the picture at the start of this topic has sixteen passenger seats and in reality the kit from HBS comes with only three. Where do we get the other 13 seats to make it look like the picture?

Since the bus is a GL kit, it seems reasonable to email them and ask about the passenger seats, Pat.

I wonder how the bus kit would bash into a mini submarine...

Since the bus is a GL kit, it seems reasonable to email them and ask about the passenger seats, Pat.

I wonder how the bus kit would bash into a mini submarine...

:groucho: I don't think the edges could be rounded enough to be a submarine. It really does look good with all the seats like a real bus has. I'll check with GL and see if they are available. There are a lot of possibilities with this kit for sure. Maybe even a box car with straw and railroad signs on the side. Now that I've seen the seats though I want them.

Just had a browse over at "Ernie's"

http://www.miniatures.com/hbs/global/Index....asp&P=9313

and read the description of the kit

It will take you anywhere you want to go!

Features of this unfinished kit include:

3.6mm die cut plywood construction

Wooden wheels, steering wheel, driver's seat and side mirrors

Open top and side; front and rear doors open

Nicely detailed grill; trim and acetate for windshield

Two rear benches (not shown)

30"W x 11 3/8"H x 9 1/4"D

So it looks like the seats are custom made in the pic.

It looks really, really intruiging and I am looking forward to seeing it in the GL store as well :groucho:

Hugs

I give up. Nobody has answered my question. The bus kit shown in the picture at the start of this topic has sixteen passenger seats and in reality the kit from HBS comes with only three. Where do we get the other 13 seats to make it look like the picture?

you mean it does not come with the seats!!!!!!!! How rude!

The picture in this March 27th post is of the original prototype. In effort to keep the price down, we had to remove the seats. The post on May 10th announced the release of this product and shows the actual production model. There is no mention or pictures of the seats in that post and there is no mention of seats in the product description at HBS. I'm sorry for any confusion on this matter.

I would'nt be using the seats in here anyway so, all the wood that would have gone into making them would be used for some other thingy or another.

I have not yet bought this kit but, It's on my list!

Have fun building it! It looks like lots of fun :groucho:

The picture in this March 27th post is of the original prototype. In effort to keep the price down, we had to remove the seats. The post on May 10th announced the release of this product and shows the actual production model. There is no mention or pictures of the seats in that post and there is no mention of seats in the product description at HBS. I'm sorry for any confusion on this matter.

I Just sent GL an email before I read this. I knew from the description in HBS it didn't come with the seats. It just looks so good with them could we buy them separately? There are so many possibilities with this bus and even more if the seats could be bought separately. Thanks for your help. :groucho:

I could make a separate kit for just the seats, but honestly, I don't know if there would be a lot of interest. Let's see how many folks would consider buying a set of seats... please post here or at the dollhouse bus kit post over at the Greenleaf Blog if you'd be interested.

EDIT: The price would be $9.95 for 16 seats.

I could make a separate kit for just the seats, but honestly, I don't know if there would be a lot of interest. Let's see how many folks would consider buying a set of seats... please post here or at the dollhouse bus kit post over at the Greenleaf Blog if you'd be interested.

EDIT: The price would be $9.95 for 16 seats.

I would definitely buy a kit. I would change my original idea of a motor home to my old 1955 Crosstown school bus we took to North Phoenix High School, Phoenix AZ. With no air conditioning back then we almost died everyday but it was fun anyway. I'd love to make a model of it. :groucho: