What is Dollhouse Kit Bashing?

I don't worry too much if I don't know an abbreviation anymore. I usually just ask.

I often try looking it up here first on this Internet Slang dictionary. Scroll down halfway of the page and there is an alphabet that run across the page. Click on the letter that the abbreviation begins with, it bumps you to the section of that letter, and then scroll down until you find it. If I can't find it there, I ask.

I realize that isn't dealing with hobby or job jargons but it does help with the texting and internet style jargon that folks use so much.

Train, car modelers, ship model builders, etc. all use the term bash as to changing and expanding on their own ideas instead of just copying a universally known pattern.

The first time I saw the term "bashing" it was in an article describing how the spaceships in the first "Star Wars" movie were made from different polystyrene model ship, motor vehicle and aircraft kits.

I once had a dollhouse client come on the forum out of curiosity - she started reading a thread where I talked about her house and the word "bash" came up several times in the conversations. Well, she was offended because she thought we literally meant getting violent with her house! oops.

I once had a dollhouse client come on the forum out of curiosity - she started reading a thread where I talked about her house and the word "bash" came up several times in the conversations. Well, she was offended because she thought we literally meant getting violent with her house! oops.

That is so funny. :rofl:

Come to think of it, I'm not sure how I would feel if I wasn't familiar with the term and heard Chuck and Bill talk about how they bashed my house. Those are the two owners of the Dollhouse Factory who refurbished my little home.

• 2 weeks later...

I bash the way I build -- not always thinking things through.

I am adding a detachable sunroom off the kitchen. Enclosing the hallway and bathroom with a removable windowed wall so that I can still access those areas. Cut off 1/2" off each roof piece as I intended to enclose the attic. Now thinking I will only enclose the attic over the hallway and bathroom. Here is the latest picture of the bash I am SLOWLY doing on the Fairfield.

post-58020-0-42720500-1398405645_thumb.j

I didn't know the term "bash" till I reentered the mini-world here on the forum. Before that I did all my miniatures on my own - no club, no fellow miniaturists - just a few books and a wacky brain. So it took me a little while, too, to understand what it meant. I don't mind the abbreviations, as long as everyone understands them. The classic, of course, is the mother who thought LOL stood for Lots of Love, and used it quite inappropriately when someone sent her a text message about a loved in the hospital, who was probably dying! "Laugh Out Loud" is not always interchangeable with "Lots of Love" :) And here on the forum there have been a few reports of -- "I'm going to bash my DH ..." Uh, shall I call 911??

And here on the forum there have been a few reports of -- "I'm going to bash my DH ..." Uh, shall I call 911??

For those not in the know, dh = doll house and DH = dear husband. :D

As the folks who introduced "kit-bashing" to miniatures nearly 40 years ago, I thought I'd put in our two cents worth. Kitbashing actually originated in model railroading and was introduced into miniatures in The Scale Cabinetmaker in 1976, at least in print. I suspect you would be very hard pressed to find many modelers from that generation, especially those who came to miniatures from other fields, who didn't use the techniques (even if they didn't use the term). Over the twenty year span of TSC, we included a fair number of kit-bashing articles (usually one per issue, especially in the early years). Now that we have re-released all 20 years of The Scale Cabinetmaker, the articles are again available. Initially, everything was released on cd-rom, but a month ago, we made all 80 issues available, individually, as downloadable pdfs, a decision spurred by sky-rocketing shipping costs.

That said, one of the problems with most older kit-bashing articles is that they are kit-dependent, and many of the kits produced between the early 1970s, when kits first appeared on the market, and the mid 1990s are no longer available (although they do occasionally show up on ebay). Most of the kitbashing articles that we published included the scale plans (and at least the major dimensions) for the piece and a list of materials, so the models could be built from scratch if necessary. The more important feature of most of the articles, however, is that they centered on teaching techniques that could then be used to tackle other kit-based projects. That was certainly the case with most of the kitbashing articles written by Helen Dorsett and by Madelyn Cook, who wrote a column for TSC for years on making furniture out of the scraps left over from kits.

For more information about the kitbashing articles in The Scale Cabinetmaker, I would suggest going to either the Dorsett Publications.com or the dpllconline.com websites and downloading the index. If you are looking for something specific, it is a good starting spot. The index, by the way, is free and only takes a few minutes to download.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this feed. I just started laughing , because a few years back, someone said BRB on Facebook and I thought " bathroom break?" Lol "be right back . " well, they could have just typed that! Lol

I love this feed. I just started laughing , because a few years back, someone said BRB on Facebook and I thought " bathroom break?" Lol "be right back . " well, they could have just typed that! Lol

Well, the BRB could very well have been a bathroom break -- they just didn't want to say :lol:

I love to bash houses. Sometimes I'd LIKE to bash a house (with a hammer) but then I step away and take a break, then go back and see what I did wrong.

To me, bashing is what makes a house mine.

:)

• 2 months later...

I am glad someone brought this subject up - because I certainly had no idea what bashing was when I first joined the forum. Well I actually did bash a house (ummm I do believe I tossed it right off my sun deck out of sheer frustration) Since then I have learned to walk away and take a bit of a breather when a build is not going as planned. As for kitbashing - nope, not for me! It's all I can do to get a kit together without changing the original plans!!

The first time I saw the term "kitbashed" was an article in one of the sci-fi movie magazines describing how the ships were made.for the first "Star Sars" movie.

As for kitbashing - nope, not for me! It's all I can do to get a kit together without changing the original plans!!

It is so funny... when I first started my build, I felt the exact same way. Wanted to keep it "original" or whatever. But now that I've been working on it, the house keeps whispering "you know, I'd really like to have different windows and doors, and fancier railings outside. And how about a dormer in that 3rd floor bedroom? You could also do me a favor by adding an attic room where there's dead space. Plus I'd like to have the bathroom placed towards the back of the house rather than the front so you can add a hallway that has three more windows (square ones, of course). I'll let you finish all that before we discuss the fireplace and chimney, or the secret staircase in the 2nd floor bedroom..."

It's become quite annoying, actually, how the house just won't shut up now! :ohyeah::giggle:

Archived