ABQ Minis

ABQ Minis

Hi,

I finally found my way here! I'm afraid this Forum thing is totally new to me and has be completely befuddled!! :huh:

Thankfully I can find my way around a kit far more easily!!! I really thought I was much more computer literate!!

Oh well, I'm here, and I will find my way around!

My name is Heather and my husband is Mark. We are fairly recent (at least it seems that way) transplants to Albuquerque, NM from Winchester, VA. It was a dismal mistake!!! But we are here and making the best of it!

We are new to the Miniature world and really excited about building our 1st and 2nd houses! We have an Orchid started, a bridal shop in the works which we are building from scratch, and a castle in the future!! Big plans for a couple of NEWBIES!!!!

We are both dollmakers with years of experience behind us. I am also a multi media artist, so we do have a bit of experience in other areas to help us along! Mark also works at Home Depot (after retireing from the US Coast Guard), he's always bringing me home cool new tools and supplies to play with! We have 2 studios, 1 for "messy" work like wood and stained glass and the other for fabric/sewing! Our "Dining Room" is our office for our website business Dragonfire Designs where we sell Dollmaking supplies and stuff.

I found this group by stumbling upon some awesome photos on Webshots! I have been drooling over my laptop looking over the fabulous houses built by Tracy!! I'm not sure how or where but that's where I found the link here! It's 1 AM now and I'm still up looking at pictures and reading posts! This can get addicting!!

Oh, last night I stayed up late reading Kathy (i)'s wonderful story and pictures about building her Orchid! It was absolutely delightful! Of course I lost the link so I have no idea who she is, but if you read this, or know who she is... please tell her!

Anyway, I'm glad I found my way. Hopefully I won't make too many blunders before learning my way around!

Heather

Hi and welcome to the forums Heather and Mark. It is great to see couples enjoying this wonderful hobby together. I have built the Orchid, it was my first house, and it is a great little house. I look forward to getting to know you both and seeing your progress. After making 5 posts, you will be able to upload photos to your gallery. If you have any question, just ask cuz there is always someone around with some advice.

Welcome to the forum! Yes, this hobby can get quite addicting, even for those of us who aren't really all that skilled (like me!) The two women you mentioned are stars, though..their work is awesome.

We'll look forward to seeing your progress, as soon as you're able to post pictures.

Hi, Heather and Mark, and :huh: to the community! I lived in Berryville, VA, for several years. I know why you miss the area. Hopefully you'll grow to enjoy Albuquerque, too.

When you have 5 posts, you can start an album of your own. We love eye-candy (as you can tell!) and would love to see photos of your dolls as well as your houses. Questions? Ask away ... there's always someone here who can answer, usually several people who will each have a slightly different answer. One of the great joys of this hobby is that you can do it your way, and it will probably work. :banana:

Welcome to the Neighborhood Heather! I LOVE dolls and am heading to your site shortly to have a look! Thanks so much for your kind words about my houses! I am glad you found us here. I am building a Castle Keep for a customer and I can't wait to see yours too! I supposed to start a Garfield kit by Greenleaf for myself this year but so far, I don't have it on my schedule to start :huh: . Anyway, welcome and I can't wait to know you better!

:huh: Hi,

Many thanks for all of the welcomes!!!! I am soooo glad I found you all!! I have been working on my website today, hopefully, I will get it up and running by next week!

Also, I hope to get enough posts to be able to post some pictures soon! I guess I should take some pictures to post!!!

Off to find the camera!! See you soon!!!

Heather

Welcome to our "little" family, HEather & Mark. I'm anxious to see your dolls. I make dolls for my houses because I have made all sorts of dolls & toys over the years, and when I had a dollhouse as a little girl I always had dolls living in it; so it only seems reasonable to me to have them living in my houses now. PLEASE make another post so you can share your pictures!

Welcome to the forum, Heather! :)

I kit-bash and custom (scratch) build as you do also. I have found that once you get started in this hobby, nothing is too adventuresome -- whether you are a newbie or old-timer! Enjoy! :flowers:

I am sorry you are not happy with Albuquerque. I vacationed in New Mexico once-- Albuquerque seemed nice enough for a vacation but I liked Santa Fe much better.

I have been to Virginia many times and have family there. It is one of my two favorite states. In fact, all my little people "live" in Virginia and even they like it!

:banana:

WELCOME YA'LL!

You will enjoy this site so much! I joined in December and have learned so much! The folks here are as wonderful as they are talented!!! I hope you get to love your new home but I understand how you feel. I'm in Alabama and wouldn't want to live anywhere but the South!!! :D

Hi,

Heather here! Home Depot has had Mark hopping this week! He is a department head and they have him running from store to store doing something. When we lived in Virginia he was a "New Store Opener" Since they open stores on every other block in Northern Virginia...! :) They kept him very busy! Here, the stores are very spread out!!!

I have had 4 doctors appointments in 3 days so I haven't had much time to play. But... this is post #5!!! I am going to spend the rest of the week working on the Orchid and the Gothic House!!! Hopefully I will have some pictures ready to post by this weekend!!

Anyone from Myrtle Beach, here??? We have a son, Chad who lives there. He is a bartender at House of Blues in the Dance Hall when they have concerts and he also is a special concierge at Best Buy (not sure which one)! So, if your in the area, check in and ask him if he knows any "Dragon Makers" in Albuquerque! If your at the House of Blues, I know that will score you one of his "special" drinks!!! (Beware-keep your daughters home! He's gorgeous! I have been married to his dad for 31 years! He cooks, sews, does laundry and even knows how to change diapers! **he has nieces not kids! **), Chad that is! I'm keeping his dad!! It's to darn hard to train another one!!! LOL!

Okay, that's it for post #5! I have houses to built!!

Heather in ABQ!

Welcome!

You moved to Albuquerque from Virginia...and you are unhappy??? Wow. I live in Maryland, and have been a frequent visitor to New Mexico over the years. I love Albuquerque..Old Towne is lovely....and I adore Santa Fe. I prefer the Southwest...but don't hold out any hopes of my husband leaving the East Coast...<sigh>

I'm intrigued with your doll making...what kind do you do? I also do restoration of antique dolls.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi and :thumbup: to the forum!! Even if you don't love Albuquerque, you will love it here...the people are all very helpful and always willing to help when needed. Can't wait to see pictures of your builds - we do LOVE eye-candy here (hint, hint :ohyeah: )

Sorry I'm late in welcoming you...I'm kinda slow :idea:

Chris