Hanging my head in shame....

LittleFox

Oh I knew I shouldn't.... But I just couldn't help it.... He just doesn't get it when I tell him what a deal I got! Or how it's a discontinued dollhouse and if I didn't buy it then I would have lost it forever! Sigh.... he really knows how to take the joy out of something!

Any sympathy... anyone?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i feel you i have to explaine to my hubby how i have to get new everything for the fairfield bc its a smaller scale. oh men now if it were car stuff or tools they would understand lol :yikes:

I am sure your husband has hobbies of his own doesn't he? As long as a hobby isn't leaving you in debt or taking over living space (dollhouses tend to take over in my case :yikes:) I don't see a problem.

Awww....sorry hubbs is mad at you.

Been there....trust me!

I usually just turn on my *ahem* feminine wiles when that happens and it tends to calm him down some... :yikes:

I'm actually thinking about going back to work to support my dollhouse addiction. I don't know if you work or not, but if you put aside a percentage of your own income in a "play account" and use that for your dollhouse purchases, hubby shouldn't be able to say anything to you about what you buy or how much it is.

In the beginning Fred was kind of like that. Now he understands that this is something that I really truly enjoy and he would never want to take that away from me. As long as I am not dipping into the household funds and I do not pay crazy money for something..it is all good.

My family has been getting on me to DO something with my hobby. They think I can just POOF make some stuff and sell it at a miniature show. They do not understand all the work, expense, and time it would take to do that.

Plus I am not ready for something like that yet. I have been only doing this for 2 years. Need some more experience.

Once he sees that it is something you truly love...he will probably back off.

I must be lucky..mine really doesn't complain...now sometimes when the American Express bill comes in, he will make a comment about how there were X amount of dollars in dollhouse stuff...and I usually just respond "Oh, really?...sorry.." Of course I'm not actually sorry...

But as long as you are not spending bill money or food money and cutting yourself short at the end of the month, don't worry about it. He'll get over it.

I echo what everyone else said. So long as you are spending $$ that is NOT needed for essentials (food, mortgage/rent, that sort of thing..) you should be able to spend it without criticism. My husband has a ton of hobbies..some of them compatible with my dollhouse addiction, others not. I don't question him, he doesn't question me.

Well, others have said it before and I will just echo some thoughts, as long as it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone else I see nooo wrong in you getting all the houses you want and have a place in your heart for :yikes: and when he gets to think about this he just might see your point, but if he doesn't I am sure you will be able to find a little something to compare with, like DVDs, movies, games, sports or the collection of (fill in blanks here), all the car polish jars etc etc, we all have our own "passions"/hobbies but we just don't always see them as our hobbies so he might need some "enlightenment" in that department!

Build on!

Hugs

I have always loved diamonds (yes-the sparkly kind!) and was always dragging my hubby to jewelry stores.....then I got the miniature bug. So now I like to look at miniature stuff. My hubby is so relieved that I am no longer collecting diamonds that miniatures seem like a bargain to him. So......maybe you should take on a temporary hobby.....like collecting cars? :yikes:

Me too. Been there, and done that....but if it's something HE wants - believe me he will get it. I tend to be more like Greg, hide, hide, bring it out later covered with dust and pretend you just found it in your stash. So sorry this happens. But as Ann says too, if it's using extra money, there should be no problem.

My heart goes out to you because I've been in much the same situation

I have a friend that smuggles little minis from shows into the house in her bra. We used to tease her a lot. It worked fine until she made the fatal mistake of deciding she wanted a large 10 room dollhouse. No hiding that one!:yikes:

I'm still trying to figure out how to start building that San Fran I got last year for less than $60!!!

Seriously, when was at JoAnne's Saturday, we were buying a piece of muslin for a model sailboat he is restoring for someone. That's when saw the oriental satin cloth. I picked up two bolts, figuring on buying half a yard of each. It was 9.99 a yard, so it wasn't extravagant. Well, he threw a hissy fit and threatened to go out and sit in the car. I got mad and set the two bolts on top of some other cloth, figuring if he changed his mind later, it would be easier to find them.

I went about helping him pick out the stuff he needed, and he never mentioned the cloth again. Then, we got to the table to have the cloth measured, and by that time I was barely speaking to him It wasn't like I had bought anything in months, and I felt like if I wanted to spend $10 on that cloth, I should be able to.

Anyway, he said "what's the matter with you"??? Boy, how insensitive was that???!!! (Of course, I'm sure none of you have ever had a conversation like that with your significant other, right??? :-) )

Well, he ended up letting me go get the cloth, and I was happy in the end, and he got over it. I guess we all have moments like that, but dollhouses really are a lot cheaper than meds and diamonds!

Been there so many times. My husband is the same way. He tries all he can to give me all the minis I want but he doesnt understand the addiction....lol Sometimes he gets so angry at me if I order something or I nag him to get me something. Even when I have my own money saved to get what I want, he sees it as being wasted when its spent on minis.

Right now I am forbidden to buy anything else until the end of May. I dont know how I will survive! He didnt even let me buy a single thing during the 50% off sale. He really took the joy out of that sale which I had been waiting for, for a whole year. How was I suppose to know I would be getting a Willowcrest before the sale happened???? Now Im being punished for it.

Oh well, men love taking joy out to the woods and shooting it. :yikes:

I guess I am way fortunate. My husband of nearly 40 years wouldn't DARE tell me that I'm "forbidden" to do ANYTHING. He's an adult, I'm an adult. We know we have financial obligations to meet...and once that's done, any "left-over" money is free to be used "however". We don't give each other allowances, we don't monitor each other's spending... We DO ask each other basic questions, like "are all the bills paid this month?" or "anything expensive coming up on the horizon I need to know about?" (like new tires for the car, or the mini-themed cruise we're now saving for, or something.) And along with the regular bills, we do put $ aside for emergencies..like the ladder that broke under my husband yesterday (fortunately other than a bruised foot, he's fine...only dropped about 5 feet and he actually managed to jump off before it all crashed to the ground..) We'll tell each other about those sorts of big expenses..and then expect that maybe there will be a bit less discretionary money next month..but other than that, nobody "forbids" anybody anything, or throws hissyfits, or otherwise has anything really negative to say or do. So I'm free to spend what I want to spend on my hobbies, he's free to do the same, with only the occasional question of "what? another trip to HobbyLobby??", or "did I hear you calling Sportsman's Guide, again??" :yikes:

OH YIS!!! Been there... missed a mortgage payment... got good Heidi Ott stuff though... problem fixed.

I just turn it into a joke. Harley is fine with me DHing as it shuts me up so I let him play his vidioe game. Just polietly check out his hobbies... and remind him your happiness is worth it :yikes:

Cindy, you hang your head for no one! Got that? Good!!!!!! You are a worthwhile person and don't deserve to be treated like a child.

Ann, hope hubby's foot is feeling better! Could have been a lot worse! Hope you guys get to go on your mini cruise too! Sounds like fun!

My situation is the same as Ann's. My DH wouldn't dare tell me what I can purchase and what I can't. I have my own charge accounts which I pay for and it's never questioned. As well, I never question him about his gun hobbies or all the other hobbies and organizations he belongs to.

Oh, I'm so there. DH plays baseball and spends at LEAST $300 every 6 months on a new bat. But that's HIS hobby, so it's more important. Yeah, whatever. I waited all year for the HBS sale and he told me no. So I ordered the McKinley and had it shipped to my work, and paid for it out of my stash money. I'll figure out how to build it later. :p It's a mini disease. Isn't that a sign of a real addiction, when you begin lying to family and friends???? Well, I don't want help, thank you very much!

I guess I am way fortunate. My husband of nearly 40 years wouldn't DARE tell me that I'm "forbidden" to do ANYTHING. He's an adult, I'm an adult. We know we have financial obligations to meet...and once that's done, any "left-over" money is free to be used "however". We don't give each other allowances, we don't monitor each other's spending... We DO ask each other basic questions, like "are all the bills paid this month?" or "anything expensive coming up on the horizon I need to know about?" (like new tires for the car, or the mini-themed cruise we're now saving for, or something.) And along with the regular bills, we do put $ aside for emergencies..like the ladder that broke under my husband yesterday (fortunately other than a bruised foot, he's fine...only dropped about 5 feet and he actually managed to jump off before it all crashed to the ground..) We'll tell each other about those sorts of big expenses..and then expect that maybe there will be a bit less discretionary money next month..but other than that, nobody "forbids" anybody anything, or throws hissyfits, or otherwise has anything really negative to say or do. So I'm free to spend what I want to spend on my hobbies, he's free to do the same, with only the occasional question of "what? another trip to HobbyLobby??", or "did I hear you calling Sportsman's Guide, again??" :p

As it should be.....

I make more money than my S.O.... so he doesn't say anything to me. :p

My DH will gladly shell out any amount of money when it comes to the PS3 or for concert tickets. I could not tell you how many concerts I have been bored stiff through. But he threw a holy old fit when it came to the Reutter Porzellan bath accessories or the money I put on a chandelier for my dollhouse. I just remind him that I sit through his concerts and watch him play HIS video games he can at least give me money for my mini's before I go crazy dealing with his stuff. I don't work, I am a stay at home mom of three young children. I need something for me too. But I guess a lot of men don't see it that way.

I have a "dollhouse fund" which half the time the money comes in the form of loose change...dimes, nickles, quarters....and he hasn't said anything, except when a friend asked how the dollhouse was coming along, and my husband made a comment that it was more buying than building. Which he was right...at that time.....but I didn't let him know that :p . Plus half the time I hide things when I first get them and slowly introduce them into the scene...yes I know that's sneaky, but I held my toungue :p when he came home with a new snow blower without talking to me first.