Crape Myrtle / Crepe Myrtle Trees

KathieB

My Adams was crying for a crepe myrtle tree -- or at least Lloyd kept insisting that it needed one. I scratched through the bag of old plastic & silk flowers and found some bits that could work. This is the result.

The step-by-step is in my BLOG.

Very pretty!!!!

I miss crepe myrtles...when i lived in Georgia, my neighbor had the most beautiful crepes....she had to keep bags in hers tho on a branch cuz the japanese beetles would get to them otherwise...ever heard a bag full of japanese beetles moving around...kinda gross....oh i've gotten of the subject again lol...

Crepes are beautiful whether you keep them in bush form or prune them into a tree shape. wish i could grow them here in Utah. Can't grow all the lovely bushes and plants that i had or admired in Georgia...phooey.

• 2 weeks later...

Crepe myrtles are as Southern as tulip trees, forsythia, magnolias and kudzu, generally come in shades of pink, although there's a pinkish-violet and white, too. I've seen it used magnificently in highway medians.

Artificial saliva sounds a bit off...

Artificial saliva sounds a bit off...

The artificial salvia was chopped up and became clusters of crepe myrtle blossoms. It no longer looks like salvia. May not have been meant to be salvia in the first place, actually ... it was in a Christmas cluster. :lol: There is a Cranberry shade of crepe myrtle that it matches perfectly. :o

The artificial salvia was chopped up and became clusters of crepe myrtle blossoms. It no longer looks like salvia. May not have been meant to be salvia in the first place, actually ... it was in a Christmas cluster. :p There is a Cranberry shade of crepe myrtle that it matches perfectly. :o

In the original question it was written as "artificial SALIVA," as in what's in one's mouth. I know it was simply a typo, but it made me laugh. I think that was Holly's joke too. :lol:

At any rate, your crepe myrtle looks lovely. We have them here in California too- must have been transplanted from some homesick Southerner. I've always loved them (the trees and the Southerners!).

In the original question it was written as "artificial SALIVA," as in what's in one's mouth. I know it was simply a typo, but it made me laugh. I think that was Holly's joke too. :lol:

:o Maybe if I'd clean my glasses ... or I could blame it on painting details on 3/4" religious statues with a 3-hair brush that made me misread the original post ...

Oh my those are lovely..yours and the real thing too!!!

I have never seen (or heard) of those but I am soooooo jealous, they are beautiful!! How long do the blooms last? Who can I visit to see a real live specimine and drool ? :o I need a vacation from winter......

Michele, once you hit southern VA you'd see them. In FL some of them are planted in the medians separating east- & westbound lanes of US90. The dark red ones are pretty. They like hot weather. I figure they're like azaleas & camellias & only last a day or two once cut & in water.

Peggi has my problem typing; I have dyslectic fingers and usually have to think and go back and proof my posts and use the edit button to switch the letters ito the right order. "Artificial saliva" reminded me of an excerpt from the third volume of C. S. Lewis' sci-fi trilogy, That Hideous Strength, when the picaresque hero is taken to see the Head and he realizes he feels sorry for it because it drools artificial saliva when it speaks and has no hands to wipe its mouth. Sorry, I have a wierd sense of humor and I was feeling esoteric when I read that!

I thought they were newly started cuttings, Kathie. Whatever you used, salvia or whatever, it looks great!