Home made wallpaper

Anna G

Printed on the inkjet, 2 coats of matt spray-on varnish both sides, glue mixture 2 -parts white glue and 1 part water applied to both wall and back of paper with a brush. It's up, and well stuck. Doesn't look too bad for a first go but I did learn a few what-not-to-does. Don't be too generous with the glue because the ink will still run a bit despite the sealer. Don't be too mean with the glue because it is difficult to slip the paper around to align it (I think this is where proper wallpaper paste has an advantage). Don't forget that stripes have to be straight, and don't forget to line up the stripes right through the full height of the stairwell.

Luckily the stairs (which are going tomorrow) will cover the obvious boo boo's. I can always put a potted plant in front of the others.

Right now my nerves are shattered!

Don't forget that stripes have to be straight

they should be but mine arent. mabye u can find that little mistake in my ice cream shop? lol

I can always put a potted plant in front of mistakes.

LOL

For your own printed wallpaper you could try using a spray adhesive (3M or similar brand). Because it is not water based the ink on the wallpaper won't run. I have used it in my house and it does the job very well.

Use a cardboard box to lay the paper in and if possible go outside while spraying or you'll end up gluing not just your wallpaper :D:)

Hi Josja

Does the spray adhesive it give plenty of working time before it sets so I can slide the paper around into position? I can just imagine the disaster if it grabbed straight away.

Hi Anna,

It does give you some working time because it is possible to remove it and put it back up, but it is very different from working with regular glue in that you can't slide it into position. I would advise some experimenting to get a feel for the stuff before you try it on the real wallpaper.

You seem to do fine with the regular glue though, judging from the picture! It looks good!

The watered down white glue is easy to work with and lots of 'slip'. I put on to much for the wallpaper on the second floor and the ink ran a bit at the bottom. But I think the baseboard is wide enough to cover it.

Josja - I looked at your web site and saw your beautiful dollhouse. I hope you have been making mini houses for a long time because your beautiful work makes my efforts look so clumsy. I am making my first dolhouse so I am sure I will improve.

It looks lovely! I've printed off brick paper before and used it for the floor of my greenhouse, and now the inside of my Brookwood chimney, but haven't tackled it as wallpaper...

But yes, stripes and obvious patterns are a real challenge to get on straight, even on the "commercial" wallpaper...

I've been into miniatures for five years now Anna. And in miniatures it is as with all things, we're better at some things and not so good at others. And of course I don't show you the not so good things...haha!

You're not clumsy! You're doing very well, and in time you will get even better.

Thanks guys. I think it looks better in the picture than in real life. Or maybe I just get too close to it. Has any one heard of a Beacon Hill green house - if I have to use to many potted plants that's what I'll end up with LOL

Very nice job on the wallpaper! You will be surprised once you get furniture in and pictures up, maybe drapes and curtains, how little of the actual paper shows! That's why all our houses look so great - we covered up the boo boos! (or left them out of the photos!)

I have to agree that Josje work is incredible!

Thanks for this post you just aswered alot of my questions that have been in my mind on the sealer for the printed wallpaper and things I love your wallpaper. I have never used printed wall paper from the computer before and Iam in my spring fling contest house and was wondering about the matte stuff and things. Your wall paper looks great!!