What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Yesterday we got home from the Georgia Tandem Rally, which was held in Albany, GA, this year; just 75 miles N of us. It was hosted at the Hilton Garden Inn, just across the street from the Flint River. We stayed in The Wheel House at a campground just South of town, on US19.

Friday's ride was a "remote start", and the starting place was a park near Radium Springs, less than two miles from our campground. We rode the short option of 36 miles, East to the county line and then South and back West through Baconton (halfway to Camilla, GA) and back . The 7+ mile last "leg" was rainy, but otherwise the ride was pleasant. Friday night after supper we all met for a gelato social at the "Riverquarium" and got to tour all the exhibits; all sorts of turtles & 'gators!

Saturday we started in front of the hotel and rode the short option (34+ miles) North to Leesburg, then looped around towards the East to head back to Albany, with lunch at The Park at Chehaw, and bike trail that passed right by Ray Charles Square in front of the hotel. There's a low fountain topped by a revolving statue of Uncle Ray at the piano, and his songs are piped through speakers set in a wall surrounding the fountain. We had a nice catered BBQ dinner at the Heritage Center.

Sunday the short option was too short, so we made our own (the long option was only 36 miles, but the last 6 miles looked boring, so we did 30). This time we rode South from the front of th hotel to just a couple of miles N of Radium Springs and then East to the county line, then North to the road that goes my the Marine Corps Logistics Base, where we turned ad headed back to the road we'd come out on. I hate riding in city traffic, even though everyone knew about our rally and I wore my construction-worker orange vest; we had a lot of left turns on VERY busy roads coming back that DH I dismounted & ran with the bike across the roads when we had the light, rather than risk getting smeared into the pavement.

This week we hope DH's new kayak will arrive from the factory so we can try out both new boats on the St Mark's River; we're planning to go on a bird-watching hike Saturday with our FTA friends & an ornithologist from the local research station. Days home I'll still be trying to straighten out the workroom' I let it really get away from me this last build!

Natalie is gone today on a field trip with the Art department at school. They are going to Boston to do the museum thing and then go to Quincy Market. I hope the weather holds up for them.

I am in the process of making spaghetti sauce for dinner tonite. The house smells good.

HUbby is still away on business trip, won't be home until late tomorrow evening/night so I have the whole house for myself... WHich is why I have "planted" myself and Mr LE Arthur on the living room floor LOL (the SF is claiming the upstairs craft room and its mess, arranging and re-arranging and awaiting glue to dry...) and am slightly kicking myself for NOT purchasing more of the tiny trim I am using for the Arthur exterior details which is why I now sit and narrow down a slightly wider thing wood strip... Can we say tired fingers????? Oh well, it will be worth it and I hope to get that puzzle sort of done soon so that I can glue those down and get over to the foundation and adding the spackling so that I can paint the stones tomorrow...

Hugs

I'm at work, but it's pretty slow so I'm chomping at the bit to get home and work on my Spring Fling! To hold me over, I'm currently uploading images to a private album of pics I've take of the progression... I'll make it public next Tuesday!

Today is our town day, and tonight we're presenting the program at our paddling club meeting (we get free dinner for sharing how we do all the traveling & playing we do on our "fixed" income).

I have been really busy for the past month straight and now things are finally starting to slow down alot.We have softball 3 times a WEEK now. Work is very slow with the econmy soaring out of control with the gas issues. Retail is really suffering due to gas prices seeing the BIG trucks are chargeing a gas sur charge and things arent getting stocked like they should be seeing there cutting back on the truck deliveries there for less trucks less hours for employeeS. Drastic hour cuts to the point Iam looking for another job. I havent had much time to work on my minis much. The kids are well all 4 of them. This weekend Iam watching my sister so my parents can go away for there anniversary I will have 3 9 year old girls in the house :banana: plus my other 2.That is really about it for me.

Day off today! Gotta get Mammy to the vet for her yearly shots at noon. She had an upper respiratory misery when we took them all in March, so hers were delayed. I haven't told her yet, but when the carrier moves to the kitchen she'll get the clue. She's actually a pretty easy cat to deal with. No biting (helps that she only has 4 teeth and those all on the bottom). I clip her nails by turning her 'turtle' and snipping away...just me...no help needed. She always looks concerned, but doesn't fuss. The Demon A needs a person to hold each leg and one to scruff her as she twists and screams. Zero has no front claws, TTL! With the threat of a new kitten coming from a stray cat momma, we're trying to get everyone up to date on the vacs.

I'm ready to put mouldings along the walls of the downstars level of Prez Lincoln. I finished wallpapering those two rooms and put an extra gloss coat on the floors.

Got three boxes of donations to take to the thrift shop and then might go by and see if I can get a haircut. SC humidity is getting the best of my frizzy hair, so it's probably shearing season. I am toying with the idea of using a product called 'Oops' to gradually remove the haircolor dye. I'm tired of fighting the gray and the damage the dye has done.

I am in the process of blanching asparagus for freezing. I got a huge deal on it. Big bags for $1 a piece. Nothing wrong with them. Going to have yummy asparagus for a long time.

Went to the bookstore and going to relax and read a copy of Fanny Hill I bought for $1. LOL

Just had a cup of coffee and broke away from a film that we decided we didn't like after all and laughed about it... So I s'ppose Mr LE Arthur will get annother bout of attention... ie some watered down green paint on his porch floor as I sanded the edges earlier...

Hugs

I have ribs to marinate, chicken wings to split, and potato salad to finish...BUT my friend wants to go yard saling this morning..TeeHee.

Maybe i will do just that..

Also Chelsea and I have to find and make a wheat gluten free muffin. She is going to a breakfast thing for her Buddhist meeting on Sunday and the woman throwing it cant eat wheat. So this will be interesting. I have the flour and the xanah*##* gum (cant remember how to spell) so I am all ready to go.

We tired out a new way of BBQ salmon filets today and it was yummy indeed... Made a glaze I think it is called and put that on just prior to putting them on the grill which gave a nice new taste to it.

Have just finished priming the spindles for the porch rail for Mr LE Arthur... all 24 of 'em... We are still going back and forth on the colours but I do think he has settled for a scheme, will see tomorrow morning.

Hugs

We spent the AM hiking a 2000-acre area of virgin longleaf pine & wiregrass to help band baby red-cockaded woodpeckers. The ornithologist, Jim Cox, climbed 53' up the tree to the nest using Swedish tree-climbing ladder sections and a belt and retrieved three 7-day old hatchlings. Red-cockaded woodpeckers are pretty little birds, but their babies are certainly butt-ugly! We saw an abandoned Bartram's sparrow nest and an Eastern nuthatch, and a redheaded woodpecker (they're bigger than the red-cockaded ones), as well as several mockingbirds and a bluejay. The dewberries are beginning to form and there were bright orange caterpillars everywhere!

I checked the afghan I was crocheting for a 1:24 coverlet and it's TOO BIG! <sob>; starting over with a smaller (#15!) hook and a different pattern idea.

This Friday Dawn (violet2dawn) and I will start our trek to the motherland..Sturbridge, Mass for the Molly Cromwell show.

I have to get some things to pack (mini toothpaste, mouthwash, etc) and plan on what I am going to pack for the 3 days.

Going to bring an extra bag for my mini finds.

I have to call back the roofer to make an appointment for when he will do the roof. We found a painter who will do the house too.

Busy week...have to plan out meals for the girls so they do not starve on the weekend!

Revision, revision, revision. Sigh. Just 2 more weeks to go, please let me pass everything, I don't want to have to come back!! Really finding it difficult to get into revision though. I think after 5 years of uni, this last set of exams has been the most difficult to revise for. I can see the end, and just can't get into the bit needed before the end!

At least the weather has gotten worse since we started revising in fantastic sun, so not too unhappy about that! (She says looking out the window into fantastic blue sky and sunshine! But it was raining earlier :huh: )

Heidi, want to plan my meals too? :giggle:

Muriel :unsure:

We are having a very exciting day today! First I got up at 4AM! Stepped into a puddle of dog throw-up! Bare foot too! Took shower! Was wide awake then. Worked on a mini for a while, then made myself some of my special coffee. Did internet. Doug got up and wanted to go out for breakfast - we did. Came home. Am doing laundry now and re-arranging Doug's closet so he can find his divorce papers from years ago so he can sell the old Thunderchicken! Then it's tending my orchids and checking on the greenhouse and just the usual type of day. Oh yes, out in the yard are 9 deer milling around. A big buck who is still in velvet and his harem.....what fun! We had a big cat on the deck this morning....no not a kitty cat....a mountain lion. He just walked around the living room portion of the deck and took off down through the meadow.......it's a lovely day....rainy, sunny, gray, drizzley and about 40 degrees!

Will be cooking in today!

We are having a very exciting day today! First I got up at 4AM! Stepped into a puddle of dog throw-up! Bare foot too! Took shower! Was wide awake then. Worked on a mini for a while, then made myself some of my special coffee. Did internet. Doug got up and wanted to go out for breakfast - we did. Came home. Am doing laundry now and re-arranging Doug's closet so he can find his divorce papers from years ago so he can sell the old Thunderchicken! Then it's tending my orchids and checking on the greenhouse and just the usual type of day. Oh yes, out in the yard are 9 deer milling around. A big buck who is still in velvet and his harem.....what fun! We had a big cat on the deck this morning....no not a kitty cat....a mountain lion. He just walked around the living room portion of the deck and took off down through the meadow.......it's a lovely day....rainy, sunny, gray, drizzley and about 40 degrees!

Will be cooking in today!

We took our sweet time with breakfast and then took the older tandem bike, the Cannondale with wide knobby tires for hard dirt/ ballast trails that we're taking with us on our trip this year, and rode out to see if we could make it all the way to Meridian Road, N of Tallahassee, and back. With a headwind gusting 15-20 mph we made it out about 11 miles and then remembered we usually rode this particular route on our Santana road tandem (with narrow skinny tires and 2/3 lighter in weight, that we'd ridden last weekend at the rally in GA); so DH turned around and back we came, stopping in Havana to try out one of the new eateries (a tearoom) before coming home. Now I have a craving to make (and EAT) tomato pie!

I've been riding a 4 wheeler with friends and going to dinner later with them...and coming home tomorrow....I took a few days to just relax...they had a cook out last night and it was alot of fun just seeing some of my old friends...

We spent the AM hiking a 2000-acre area of virgin longleaf pine & wiregrass to help band baby red-cockaded woodpeckers. The ornithologist, Jim Cox, climbed 53' up the tree to the nest using Swedish tree-climbing ladder sections and a belt and retrieved three 7-day old hatchlings. Red-cockaded woodpeckers are pretty little birds, but their babies are certainly butt-ugly! We saw an abandoned Bartram's sparrow nest and an Eastern nuthatch, and a redheaded woodpecker (they're bigger than the red-cockaded ones), as well as several mockingbirds and a bluejay. The dewberries are beginning to form and there were bright orange caterpillars everywhere!

I checked the afghan I was crocheting for a 1:24 coverlet and it's TOO BIG! <sob>; starting over with a smaller (#15!) hook and a different pattern idea.

Holly - Sounds like a fun day - I love watching the birds that visit our backyard feeder and birdbath. Which bluejays did you see? Up here in Edmonton we get the Bluejay, but 250 miles south of us they only get the stellar bluejay. Here's a couple of photos that I found:

The first blue and white bluejay is the one that we get, and the darker blue and grey stellar jay is found south of us around the City of Calgary.

-Susanne