What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Well, the verdict on the car is okay but not great. It is not the alternator (TG). It is the starter. The guy was starting it and starting it over and over so he could get an idea what the heck the problem was. Then the starter just decided it did not want to play his games anymore.

All I was thinking was OH God, I have to pick up Chelsea in 2 hours!

So he got underneath and banged on it and got it to start. He is going to replace it today. Gotta love when you know a mechanic. Wholesale price on part is $140 and he is charging us $50 to replace.

So I get home last night at 4:45pm and did not turn the car off. We have a full tank of gas so the car sat there idling so that I could pick Chelsea up at 6pm.

Crossing fingers it starts today so I can take it to get fixed.

Our local schools are playing chicken this morning. Who is going to cancel school first? The snow is coming at 9am and it is going to snow all day and night long. Somebody has to blink. As it stands now, school is in session even though the roads will be an utter mess in a couple hours.

Nothing much going on around here! This BP medicine is making me too tired to do anything. The school nurse says my BP is too low, and I should call the doctor about it. But he said to give it two weeks.

Hopefully, I will go get my hair cut today!

Yes, tiredness when starting a new BP medication is not unheard of - I had it myself whenever they changed my meds because of other symptoms. It's hard to get through, but you should start to feel better soon. Did you talk to the doctor after talking to the school nurse? I hope so. Also, your body is used to high BP, so it can take time for it to adjust. However, if you have any other side effects, talk to your doctor!

Trying to get the right BP medicine and in the right dose was tricky for me - I went through this almost 12 years ago. Each time I had other symptoms, I went back to the doctor and they changed the type of meds. The hardest part was when I wanted to have another baby and they put me on meds safe for use during pregnancy - I was sooo tired for two weeks, but determined to see it through so that I could get the ok to have another baby, our youngest.

I'm sure that you will have an easier time then I did, so do only what you absolutely must do until you have more energy!

Thanks for the information. I was afraid it was just me being tired from the bronchitis-which is starting to break up. However, just doing what I have to do is wearing me out right now! At least we have enough brisket left over from last night to make sandwiches tonite. So at least I don't have to cook! But I have the template made for my bedroom floor and want so badly to start gluing those sticks down!

Well sent my boss a text message and he finally got back to me and said it was ok to do the morning here and the afternoon there. He then phoned about 11:30 and said i might as well stay here all day :p yay! Glad I don't have to drive in the cold - little worried it might have gotten frozen again for the journey home this evening. But i get to walk instead!

Yesterday's mini project was repair of my goddaughter's eyeglasses. One earpiece came off and the plucky 11-year-old "repaired" it herself with superglue, which held about 35 seconds. I spent a good long time with the nail polish remover (acetone) removing the superglue residue. The hardest part was where she had put it inside the hole that the little peg fits into. I got it pretty well cleaned and reamed out, then reglued it with JB Weld, the metal-to-metal cold weld stuff from the auto store. It appears to be holding this morning, but I'm not returning them to her until the 24-hour curing period is over or I'll be looking at another repair job! Kids ... I swear everything made for them ought to be of commercial grade industrial strength or stronger!

I also went on line and found an army buddy for one of our friends who has been wanting to reconnect. They served in Korea 1950-52. The friend's daughter had tried some time ago but only half-heartedly. She read a story the other day of two buddies who reconnected recently and was stunned to see that the obituary for one of them was in the same paper. She panicked and asked me to take up the search because she knows I do genealogy. It took me about 20 minutes to find him.

It was a good day.

Today I'm playing chauffeur. Lloyd is still having bouts of vertigo, but less frequently. I took him to class this morning, will pick him up afterward to take him to an ophthamologist appointment. He reports blurred vision during the dizziness. Dunno if it's related but hope to rule out eye problems. Then will take him to class in the afternoon. I hope the dilating meds have worn off by then, as it is critique day. Seeing the kids's pots is sort of critical to the program.

Later this afternoon I hope to finish up the White Orchid's oven wall. I wish the tube styrene order would arrive. The oven wall and the lighting are critically intertwined, and I think the tubes will be a major player in how it evolves.

Car is being fixed as we speak. It started this morning..I did alot of praying before I put the key into the ignition. Instead of having the mechanic friend do it, the car repair place where Fred got the part (they buy the part from Napa, give us the deal on the price) is charging the same thing but we get a lifetime warranty on it.

Fred is taking a Emergency personal day so he does not have to worry about getting to work or not.

Tonite is mexican for dinner. Going to make some guacamole to go with the salsa verde. Mmm!

today should be better...LOL

but as is typical for me we got our taxes done and they took away our 1,000$ tax credit for the kid coz she,s 17??? WHAT! we are still legally responsible for her till she is 18 but we get no tax breaks coz she is 17...somehow that seems like CRAP!

so we got back some of what we paid in....

not anything like we had hoped. but the house payment is covered for another month....I just wish they would forclose and than we could move on...this perpetual worry about if/when its going to happen is making me stressed.

Dean is really wanting to file Bankruptcy but Im still not on board with him.

I really would like one more full yr here before we head off into the wide world.

I really wanted to have one last Christmas with all my kids home for it.

but thats a long way off from today. I do have permission to take some of the money and spend on myself...so Im going to get 2 new swimsuits and a purse....found this place with GREAT bags and they are on sale for 20$ this week...way more than I usually spend on a purse but I saw several I would be happy to carry for awhile...the one Im using now is about 3 yrs old. a Wal-Mart cheepie

I took an application to the local grocery store...who knows maybe something will come up.

not really looking hard. but you must do some if you want to stay eligible for unemployment.

it looks so gorgeous outside but BBUUURRRRR its so bitter cold out there today. and I hear we are in for 6 more weeks?? why does that NOT suprise me?

nutti :p

I got my haircut yesterday, so I feel like a new person! I finally decided I had enough of dealing with the long stuff and got it trimmed off. Took everyone out to eat Mexican food so I didn't have to cook either!

DH goes for his biopsy today, everyone please say a prayer for him.

Oh Lynette, I am sorry to hear how it is going on with you and Dean. I was watching some news shows on tv the other night and they were talking about help for people in trouble with their mortgages. One woman said that you can contact your local housing department and there are other programs set in place right now that might help you.

It is so hard for so many people. Our governor is going to be having a press conference today to talk about the new budget. I think it is going to be very bad. My friend`s adult son works for the state and she is very worried he could lose his job. She is barely making ends meet herself and she could never help him at all.

Lots of snow to shovel this morning. Nat has to go into school later so I have some time.

Car is all fixed..Yeah! They even changed the oil, topped off all the fluids, and changed out the thing that holds the battery in place. They did not charge for those extras! I told Fred that the place must be hurting because they did not charge an arm and a leg. He said yes and they were also bored because there was nothing to do so they offered all these things..Fred did not ask.

Going to work on the Arthur today. I have not worked on it in a couple of days so I am back in the mood again. I did not fall out of it..just had other things to do.

I hope the roads are sanded because they did not sand our street at all. Looks like the city is cutting corners in that arena.

I, too, am very sorry to hear about those of you with such tremendous financial troubles. It is so disheartening!

Did a little bit of mini knitting already this morning. It's coming along, but very slowly as I can only do about two rows at a time before my hands shake too much.

Today, DH and I have to talk J-F to the children's hospital in the afternoon for our last teaching session. We finally have a sliding scale for his insulin doses, so we don't have to call the doctor twice a day. However, he has been having late morning lows (shakes) for the last two days - his first two days back at school - and had one again early this morning. I'm really hoping that his body will settle down soon as I do not like all these lows.

Before going to the hospital, I will be stopping by the bookstore to see if I can find a good book on diabetic recipes. Our menu has gotten very repetitive, and this is the perfect opportunity to add more variety.

Liza, check with your school about when they serve lunch to his class, and when he goes for PE/ recess. If you have a school nurse she might need to run a mid-AM glucose check on him and give him a snack if he's low. I had an ongoing war over one of my little girls who was a very brittle little diabetic from pre-K! and never seemed to get lunch before 1300, no matter what grade she was in.

That's great news Kathie! :) Hope it keeps away.

Busy day at work today. I enjoyed working at the other shop yesterday. Think i'll read my book tonight while i snuggle and try and keep warm. It's gotten cold! Snow is all gone, so the temperatures drop. (Still only just below freezing, but for me that's cold! ;) )

Muriel, I swear I am not making fun of you but I had to tell you this. Fred and I were watching the news last night and they talked about how you all got snow and how it was making life difficult because you have not seen that much in many many many years. Then they said it was 6 inches and Fred almost fell off the bed laughing. He said "6 inches of snow closed down cities in England?"

I think he figured since we have been in the thick of it with this weather that 6 inches is NOTHING compared to what we have had before.

Hot dogs for dinner. I have been in the mood!

Muriel, I can tell you one that you can laugh about Fred now. He loves ice cream. His favorite flavor is Tin Roof Sundae made by Breyers ice cream. They had it on sale this week. He was with me at the grocery store. The girl scans it and it made a beep. She tried it again...beep... :)

She left with the ice cream and came back without it. It has been recalled because of the peanuts! You should have seen Fred`s face..hahahahaha

Breyer`s ice cream recall.

I wanted to add that I hate Virgin Mobile! There I said it. We have been having issues with a couple of our phones. Chelsea just bought a brand new one and now it is acting up. Of course she did not save the packaging..grrr.

So I call VM on the phone about it being busted. They told me to return it to where I bought it. I know that I cannot because we do not have the original packaging..grrr.

So I will call them back tomorrow (say that I did go back to the store) and tell them to replace it face my wrath. Both Fred and Nat`s chargers died at the same time. They have the same type phone. VM does not have any replacement ones in stock.

I am getting ready to just jump ship to another Pay as you go company. I think we might try Verizon.

Hehe! Poor Fred, no delicious ice cream!

To be honest, i think it is funny too that the country has closed down :) But also kinda understand it. We barely get snow here, once a year maybe, and not loads, just a few inches. Few being 3-4. So when it comes suddenly 6 inches, wow, thats amazing, and noone can drive in it ;) I forgive them, 364 days a year we drive on gripping roads. then suddenly nothing grips and there's chaos.

I drove home behind another car on Monday evening when it was snowing. I was happy to have his red tail lights ahead of me, but loved driving with the snowflakes highlighted in my headlights. Felt pretty and wintery. Smiled the whole drive home!

Some schools closed monday, more closed tuesday, and some were closed today too. I think parents are rebelling (as presumably are employers) and saying it is ridiculous that they've had 3 days of no school.

There is supposed to be more snow thursday evening i think, but not so much where we are, and none in london area again. I think it is funny that it is on international news! It was 6 inches! We just about hear if most of america has been freezing and covered in ice for a week. But if you have 5 ft of snow, we hear not a sound about it.

Heidi, we have Trac Phone (through Wally World), had it ever since DS#1 pitched a fit for us to get a cell phone for when we're on the road (Why? we still don't know how to use most of the features, and after two years they sent us an upgrade phone for free that takes pictures, etc, and I still have to use the book to make a call on it.

I sat up for a bit to calm the arthritis early this AM & put on a pair of thick wooly hiking socks. Ever since I got up later and have been running around all day between the 'puter, the Travel Trailer & the needlework, my toes have been little ice cubes hanging off the ends of larger cold chunks of ice that were formerly my feet! This many consectuive days of bedamned cold weather in my part of the world is 'way beyond winter! It's a freezing Ice Age! C'mon, y'all! Where's all this global warming everybody's having a hissy fit about?

Liza, check with your school about when they serve lunch to his class, and when he goes for PE/ recess. If you have a school nurse she might need to run a mid-AM glucose check on him and give him a snack if he's low. I had an ongoing war over one of my little girls who was a very brittle little diabetic from pre-K! and never seemed to get lunch before 1300, no matter what grade she was in.

Holly,

No school nurses in Ontario. He checks his own blood sugars before and after gym, before lunch and after the long luch recess, and whenever he doesn't feel quite well. Supplies kept at school for when he goes too low.

I talked to the dietian today and they have increased his 9:30 am snack from 15 grams of carbs to 30 grams of carbs. Insulin dose was also changed slightly. As for lunchtime, it is at 11:50 am. (School hours are 8:15 am to 2:30 pm) He is also on 15 gram carb snacks at both 2 pm and 4 pm, plus three meals. And he does react with shakes if his blood sugar drops below 4.0 (his target range is 4-10, and I think the unit is mmol/L)

Turns out the trouble may be something else, though. Got home from the hospital and he had another low less than an hour after his 4 pm snack of a banana. Got that up to 5.3 by 6 pm. Gave him his insulin at 6:30, just before supper, then he didn't feel up to eating. He has since thrown up and his sister is complaining of a stomach ache, too, so the dr thinks his wacky blood sugar levels may be because he is coming down with the flu. This means lots of finger pricks during the night, and possibly using the glucagon (strong sugar dose given by injection) in small doses to keep his blood sugar up.

This is turning out to be one rollercoaster ride for both us and him and his little body (he only weighs 60 lbs and he is almost 10 - lost 8 pounds in one month before he was diagnosed).

Ew, Liza, I know this is a really scary new turn of events for you and your little one, but once y'all get through all this, think how much more knowledgeable you'll be!

Yup.

They said at the hospital that it would be a steep learning curve, and right now we are climbing Everest.

Already had to use the glucagon 4 times to try and keep his blood sugar up, which meant many pricks :D . He is now at 7.0, so we can let him sleep awhile (~2 hours) before having to prick him again.

It's going to be a long, long, long night... ;) :)

Cheese and Crackers! It is soooo cold out there this morning. The kind of cold when you breath in through your nose, the hairs freeze.

Errands to run today and I have to call Virgin Mobile again to tell them to pony up a replacement phone for Chelsea. This will be fun.

Driving lately has been an adventure everyday. You have to remember where all the potholes are and still watch out for new ones. There is one by my house that is so big, your car could tip to the side.

Two of my friends and I are planning on having a bingo night out. There are so many in the area that we just have to decide which day of the week we want to go.

Bingo is always fun when you go with a couple people. Chatting and playing.

Finally made it to morning! :jawdrop: Things started to settle down by just after midnight, but now there is the risk of dehydration. No insulin this morning per dr's orders. Pushing fluids and trying to get him to eat something - a beginning at least!